My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

wayno

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

Postby wayno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 pm

I worked on the box bed today for a little while, I pressure washed it out, then I scraped on it with a scraper for a while, then I blew it out with air, then I covered anything with rust with POR15 which was basically the whole bed floor and spots on the bed sides, if the weather holds I will likely paint it with Rust-oleum flat black(oil based), I have a small paint gun and a regulator.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 am

:thumbs:
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 pm

This is what I did for the fuel filler as the way it was didn't work very well.
Well postimage still is not working, I will insert the photo when it starts working properly.

The reason I went this way is because the tank is on the passenger side, yet the filler hole is on the driver side, when filling I had to barely pull the trigger and it took like 10 minutes to put 10 gallons in the tank as the gas had to go thru this long level tube all the way to the other side, it sucked having to stand there trickling the fuel in, this way it can take the fuel full blast.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Postby Laecaon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 am

When my friend frame swapped his 521 to the 720 4x4 one, I really wanted him to run both tanks. Would have used a level sensors and a pump to have the 521 tank (bed mounted driver side) dump to the 720 tank (frame mounted passenger frame). And being that we had a body lift on it, gravity would have been on our side. I could never convince him to do it though.
wayno

Postby wayno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am

The gas they sell these days rusts out empty tanks, you absolutely do not want a tank to be unused/almost empty, my work trucks extra tank got wasted in no time because it had less than a gallon splashing around in the bottom, and when I put fresh fuel in it it ruined the fresh fuel.
If the 521 tank was plastic there would not be an issue, but they are metal so fuel has to be cycled regularly, fact is I believe having an active return line is a good thing with this crap fuel, it keeps it mixed.

Return to “520/521”