Waynos 1966 datsun 520 ute

wayno

Re: Waynos 1966 datsun 520 ute

Postby wayno » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a 720 alternator in it the same as all my other trucks and the wipers work just fine on them, there is something else going on, could be a bad ground connection at where the ground wire plugs into the harness.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm

I thought my wagon had a bad motor when I first got it. Turned out to be stiff/rusty transmissions. Cleaned and lubed and the wipes worked great.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:50 pm

So I drove this to the mall yesterday to go to Radio Shack which is not there anymore, when I went out to go back home the battery was dead, so I rolled it and started it that way and made it home(getting dark without headlights), I put the charger on it(slow charge/2amp) and it charged higher than any battery I have ever seen, but the charger is a smart charger and this morning it was fully charged and there were no sparks when I removed the clips from the battery.
I watched the volt meter all the way home, it went from 9 volts to around 11 volts on the way home, nothing else was wrong, after finishing the work truck I started this one and it was not charging, so I fiddled with the wires on the alternator without positive results, I was looking down there dreading having to remove everything to get that alternator out of there when I touched the belt, I have never in all my life seen a belt that loose, I cannot believe that the engine didn't overheat, I could not believe it didn't throw the belt, but I remember looking down there and seeing the fan turning, and the charge light did go out after revving it but it would not charge the battery, I tightened the belt and all id good now, it's putting out over 14 volts.
That engine should have over heated, I got real lucky.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Everyone loves an easy fix.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Return to “520/521”