Waynos work truck.

wayno

Re: Waynos work truck.

Post by wayno » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:10 am

Yes it still has the stock master, and yes it has the dual piston hardbody 4X4 disc brakes, the residue valve has been gutted.
I have been driving it this way for a decade at least, why do you ask?

Farmer Joe » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm wrote:the work truck still has a single line brake master cylinder?

doesnt it have disk brakes on the front?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:28 am

Because drum and disc brakes dont work off the same pressure. If the MC is gutted, I wonder if the rear brakes actually do anything...

You will notice that as soon as they designed cars with front disc brakes, they also switched to MCs with separate front and rear circuits.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:02 am

I have driven a car in the past with only front brakes, this stops way better than that car did, but I will admit that I cannot, and have never been able to lock the back brakes up, and I have tried.
As I said, I have been driving it this way for over a decade now, it stops fairly fast for a truck with a trailer.
I have planned to put power brakes on this truck for a while now, but the SUs and clutch master are in the way, you can see how close the airfilter is in the photo I posted of the masters, I would rather have an airfilter than power brakes.
I know how to move the clutch master sideways, or how to build a pedestal for the booster to sit on, I just have not figured out how to change the airfilter housing yet, I likely will have to put something like the diesel canister on the truck and make a duct system, but I just have other things I want to do, as the truck stops fine the way it is, and believe it or not, I don't have to press on the pedal that hard, otherwise I would have changed it a long time ago.

Laecaon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 am wrote:Because drum and disc brakes dont work off the same pressure. If the MC is gutted, I wonder if the rear brakes actually do anything...

You will notice that as soon as they designed cars with front disc brakes, they also switched to MCs with separate front and rear circuits.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Charlie69
Cars: 1966 520
1985 720 King Cab ST
1986 720 King Cab Daily driver

Post by Charlie69 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Not sure if this would work. This is what I did with my 520. I used a 620 power booster spacer, a 310 power booster, & a 280ZX master cylinder, oh almost forgot Mike Klotz's Master Piece Rod Extension.

Wayno the 310 booster in the 310 bolts to the fire wall no spacer, I had to clearance the inner fender well (dent it in ) for clearance of the booster. The 280 ZX Master cylinder is also available with the brake lines on the opposite side. I am thinking if you had to you should be able to to mount this right against the firewall this is an approximately 7" diameter booster. I know the early 210 booster used on the 510 is a smaller diameter booster.

Just some ideas to think about.

Also check out this post.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1064

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:15 pm

I have dual SUs Charlie, I might be able to fit the booster in position, but it is going to be right next to the back SU, I will have airfilter issues.
I actually made this remote brake booster up a long time ago, but I never got brave enough to try it out, as my brakes have worked good enough so far.
That is a 521 slave connected to a Ford Courier booster, I cannot remember what master it is anymore.
I actually had it mounted on the driverside fender well, but I never piped it.

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Post by 510freak » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:33 am

Remote booster,Cool idea Wayne
And the slave for the plunger :D
Be neat to see if it works!
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:15 am

510freak » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:33 am wrote:Remote booster,Cool idea Wayne
And the slave for the plunger :D
Be neat to see if it works!

This was back in the pre-forum days(before 2010), I did a lot of that kinda stuff, the work truck was basically the way it is now, the 720 dually was finished/painted, and the 521 kingcab extension had been welded together already, that is when I joined Ratsun, right in the middle of that project.
I suppose that the remote booster would have worked, but having 2 completely separate master brake cylinders just didn't sound great to me, I suppose I should have tried it, that's why I still have that unit, I put it on the shelf and forgot about it till I needed it, I just have never needed it, once I put electric brakes on the trailer, the truck stopped decent, so I forgot about it till this power brake booster for the 521 subject came up, I even had it mounted in the truck.
I got the remote booster idea from the classic american vehicle industry, they make remote power brake boosters, but they don't look anything like mine.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:20 am

That is crafty! In theory you could mount that anywhere.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Post by 510freak » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:02 pm

If you could use a electric brake set up,to use the remote master/booster
that would free up some space(maybe where its needed)
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:11 pm

510freak » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:02 pm wrote:If you could use a electric brake set up,to use the remote master/booster
that would free up some space(maybe where its needed)

I would never trust an electric setup to activate the primary brakes, what if a fuse blew.
I still have brakes if the trailer brakes fail, but I suspect that electric brakes all around would be illegal.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:06 pm

So I took a trip up north to pick up a box for my 1963 Datsun L320 as it doesn't have a bed, it's not perfect, but it was only $65.00
On the way back I took a photo of the speedo. :lol:
So on the way up I could hear this high pitched whistle, at first I thought it might be the alternator, but I decided it was likely the disc brake pad rubbing on the rotor, as I was moving along pretty good, well on the way back the whistle started getting worse, and there was another sound happening also, it was like metal going threw a shredder, it sounded terrible, that is when I decided that it was likely the cluster gear bearing going away, I just kept going at the same speed, as it only made noise when I would change my speed, so I made it home(lucky), and decided to tear it down in the morning.
So I got it in the air this morning, and proceeded to tear out the transmission, it's kinda a pain because to drop the tranny, I have to remove the tranny mount, and the clutch cover from the flywheel, then I have the room to drop it down.
This is what I found.
Well the bearing was bad, not as bad as I was expecting, as all the bearings were still where they were supposed to be, but it sure made a lot of noise, so I put it all back together after pulling another transmission apart for the bearing, as I could not find one at the auto parts store today, and then I started it up, it sounded as bad as it did before, I went to the front of the truck while it was running, I was going to rev it while standing there to see if I could figure out where the noise was coming from, I looked down at the alternator and seen this bolt hanging out past the water pump pulley hitting the plastic fan, this is what was making the terrible noise.
So it turned out I had more than one issue at the same time, it now sounds good, although it's not as smooth going into second as it was before, but that may just be me not noticing it, or the clutch pedal is not set correctly ATM.
Even though the scary sound was not the transmission, I am happy that I tore it out while it only needed a bearing, it could have been much worse if that bearing has destroyed itself.

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Nice work Wayno!

I love your jacks by the way.. I've been looking for one or two of those.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Looks like you caught both before they went catastrophic. And those jacks are flippin sweet.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

draker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:36 pm wrote:Nice work Wayno!

I love your jacks by the way.. I've been looking for one or two of those.

Here is one for sale near me, I thought about going and getting it, but I have to many of them now.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/for/4838375784.html

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:19 pm

I also have one of these bigger ones, but I don't need another big one like this, it will not fit under any of my rigs.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/for/4847365197.html

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm

I looked at the oil filter the other day and noticed the date I had written on it, the thing don't use oil and I just didn't notice all that time had went by, the last time I changed the oil was March of 2013, it's hard to say how many miles I put on it, as the instrument cluster was changed out a while back because of some reason I have already forgotten, I think it was that I broke the speedo needle breaking it in on that trip up north to get some parts a few years ago.
The oil wasn't particularly ugly or anything, just looked like normal oil, it has a lot of miles on it though.

devilsbullet
Cars: 75 and 76 280z, 68 510 goon, two 77 710 goons, 77 b210 hatch.

Post by devilsbullet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:52 pm

you've gone 2 years without changing the oil. that's kinda disturbing how tightly sealed that engine must be. I cant make it 2 months without having to at least add some lol.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 pm

devilsbullet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:52 pm wrote:you've gone 2 years without changing the oil. that's kinda disturbing how tightly sealed that engine must be. I cant make it 2 months without having to at least add some lol.

It's a fresh engine, or it was till I let it go that long.
It's my LZ23 I put together a couple years ago now, hasn't burnt oil since.
For reference, I was going thru a gallon of oil a week in my L20b I had in it before building the LZ23, when I started it in the morning after adding oil, it would smoke for several minutes till it burnt off the oil that got by the valve seals, it had so much blow-by, that if I removed the oil cap while it was running, it would soak the bottom of the hood when it was up.

Charlie69
Cars: 1966 520
1985 720 King Cab ST
1986 720 King Cab Daily driver

Post by Charlie69 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Wayno I have a friend running dual SUs on a 510 and he is using a 4" booster setup out of a B210.

This is a 4" booster setup out of an early 620.

I have booth styles at the moment if you would like to try one.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:58 pm

If I want to have power brakes on this work truck, I will likely need to use a remote power brake setup, as even if I could get it in there, I would never be able to remove the air filter housing to change the filter.
I believe in the next month I am going to switch over to a dual circuit master cylinder, see if I can get the back brakes to work, I can press as hard as I can and they do not work, so right now I am using the fronts and trailer brakes to stop the truck, it does alright, it's been this way for over 10 years now, but it would be nice to stop even better.
BTW Charlie, I don't go to Ratsun anymore except to answer personal messages, it was pointed out to me by Dmike that I still have been logging on even though I wasn't happy with Ratsun anymore, so I just quit going there, to tell the truth, I wonder if Jeff owns Ratsun anymore, sometimes I wonder about that.

Charlie69 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:04 am wrote:Wayno I have a friend running dual SUs on a 510 and he is using a 4" booster setup out of a B210.

This is a 4" booster setup out of an early 620.

I have booth styles at the moment if you would like to try one.