1978 Standard Cab 620 4X4 L20BET project

620Turbo4X4

1978 Standard Cab 620 4X4 L20BET project

Post by 620Turbo4X4 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:32 am

The night I got it home...

Was quite the ride.. Owner said it needed the brakes bled but was otherwise a pretty solid truck. So, I set off with the $700 he was asking, fluid, and a few basic tools to bleed the brakes with the intentions on driving this home. Got there and instantly fell in love with it. Tried to bleed the brakes, but never got any air. Since it was getting dark and it did have some brakes, we decided to just get it home and fix it there. Wasn't till I (tried) to get it up to speed and keep the thing on the road I realized the right front wheel bearing was shot....

Truck sits on Dana 30 front axle (4.27) with 6 bolt hubs modified for modified(center enlarged) 620 disks and adapters for the 620 calipers. Divorced Dana 20 trans case, and factory 620 rear with what I think is a 720 3rd member (4.625). Plans are to someday re-gear front and rear to 4.88 with tru-trac diffs. Have the parts for front, but still undecided on which rear end I'll use.

Been a slow going project so far. Kinda why I'm putting this in discussion, instead of builds. Finding myself forgetting what parts I've used, and from what, on some of my modifications... Thinking its time to document it.

Plans for truck is to be a fully capable 4wd to go rippin down logging roads and 4X4 trails, but still something comfortable to drive on a daily basis. So I've got my work cut out for me...

One of my first modifications was replacing the stock Datsun steering box. This was long before I knew about Ratsun, and before NWD so I didn't have much to go on. After going to a few wrecking yards and seeing what's out there, I decided to keep it inside the frame and used a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee box, 720 reservoir and pump on custom brackets, and Pontiac fiero tilt column. (Needed to be short!)

What'a huge improvement that was!!! Excellent turning radius, and 2-1/2 turns lock to lock. Steering response is awesome. Like driving a go kart!!! Still has the bump steer, but doesn't take 1/2 a turn of the wheel to make corrections anymore.. Also added in a crossmember with mounting point for the pan hard bar that will go with the 3 link suspension that will replace the leaf springs front and back.

And wouldn't you know it. Stock alternator takes a crap. Didn't want to even try another reman.. Made new lower mount and modified the upper for 105A GM alt out of a...... (You see I already forgot.. Old age sucks. Will update later...)

Some seats were next. (FYI anyone looking to put seats in a standard cab. Look for the thinnest seat backs possible) Settled on some Acura seats with integrated seatbelt locks. One thing I never cared for was the seatbelt latches in the 620's. (Makes it hard to get the damn thing on without the cops seeing me doing it) So, I added additional support to the floor along with the new inside mounting points, and tig welded the old Datsun latches to new brackets that mount on the seats. Also fixed the hole in floorboard for transfer case selector and new boot that will hopefully keep the water out...

Noticed floors were not in as good of condition as I thought. So those got stripped bare, sprayed with zinc primer, and truck Bedliner coating over that.

Some new rims and tires. Wanted wide tires, but not too tall. Was originally looking at a set of 29-12.5 interco ssr radials. Turned out they were unavailable everywhere at that time. Ended up getting 32-11.5 Goodyear Wranglers. Really happy with them but the extra height was a problem with the foot wells. So out came the plasma cutter. Ended up taking a 3" slice out of the floor boards and shoving them back for clearance.

For those wondering why I didn't just lift it. I will be, but only about 3". I'm actually trying to keep it relatively low, and still have 12" of travel with the Fox coil-overs that will go in it someday...

Original engine blew head gasket (pretty much on the way home) and after about a year the wrecking yard engine I got for it started suffering from the same problem (30 yo head gasket...) Time to rebuild the engine my dad had built years ago. L20b w .30 over sss l18 pistons he got somewhere?? (virtually flat tops) decked block, With the W53 peanut head. 11.2;1 CR. 270 isky cam, springs etc... 32/36 and custom made tri-y header. No more getting passed by Toyota Prius's for me..... :fuu:

And someday....

Started building this a few months after getting truck. 60 lb/hr Semens Deka lV injectors. 98-00 Dodge Avenger 2.5 V6 TB. Turbonetics T3 super 60 BB. FMIC and all the plumbing still in boxes....

Will be using Electromotive TEC3 ECU running full sequential thanks to a 94-97 ford ranger 2.3l cam sensor I modified to fit in place of the stock distributer.

60-2 crank sensor wheel getting made, and sensor mount...

Suspension needs to come first, but right now this is my only running truck (thx to the son-in-law) Have most mounts already welded to frame. Still need to weld in shock towers/mounts front and rear, the upper link for rear axle to frame, and all the fixings for the axles once the spring perches are cut off and I decide on a rear axle....

K_trip
Cars: DATSUN
67 Bluebird R16/5spd
71 510 Goon L16/4spd
74 Li'l Hustler L16/4spd

Re: 1978 Standard Cab 620 4X4 L20BET project

Post by K_trip » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 am

620Turbo4X4 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:32 am wrote:Got there and instantly fell in love with it.
Love at first sight!

Great story, complete with pictures, awesome. It looks like you're off to a good start. I can't wait to see more :thumbs:

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Thu May 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Holy crap how did I miss this? Really need to read the board more. This is awesome. Where you located
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 pm

I missed it too... And now I think he is gone... That post was awesome!

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:12 am

Come back!!!!!

We demand updates.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:20 pm

haha i emailed him and asked him to come back well see
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

620Turbo4X4

Post by 620Turbo4X4 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Lol. Good thing you emailed me. Didn't know I had new responses.

I stopped by here a few weeks ago and wasn't sure I was on the right site... It's all different. Tried to fix my avatar, couldn't find the small pict I had and gave up. Lol.

Unfortunately, not much to update... Started repairing my shop this spring and once I tore into it my house pluming decided to start springing leaks everywhere. If it not one thing, it's another. Right?

I did manage to complete the turbo header and started mocking up a rear upper frame mount for the 4 links. Should be plenty strong (decided to run two bars up top, side by side) Not sure about the way it looks though. I'll see if I can get some Picts this weekend.

I think I've decided for the rear axle on a Dana 44 from Isuzu rodeo. Was also considering Toyota 8" V6-turbo axle. Whatever I go with I want it to be as close to the Datsun axle width (56") so my tires don't stick out much more than they already do. Haven't been harassed by cops about fender flares and mud flaps yet, afraid if they stick out much more, that might change...

Picked up a early Toyota 4x4 rear end for cheap which is the right width, but the axle tubes are so small it looks ridiculous with the 32" tires. If I do go Toyota I'll probably get the 85-89 (58") axle with the larger axle tubes and have it cut down for early axle shafts.

The Isuzu D44 would be good as it would keep the drivetrain in the Dana family and it already has rear disk. I also think it might be a bit stronger. Still might need narrowing though at 57-3/4 wide... Hmmm...

Thanks everyone for the complements. I'll start checking in more frequently and get some more Picts of everything.

Oh, and I'm in western Washington izzo.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Sweet. Haven't seen a setup like that before. And it looks good!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )