Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

wayno

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 pm

How cold is it over there?
I worked outside all day, it was in the mid 40s all day and it still is right now(46).
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 am

Wife goes to work, Matt is in the garage yankin' it. Classic HRH. Keep us posted. Maybe no pics though.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 am

Fire started yet?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 am

It's mid-to-low 40s here. Colder in the morning. Was about 36-37 when I got up today. Fire is started, warming up nicely, even have the propane heater going. I've found I don't like working on things in mid 40 degree weather. Got up with the wife and started a fire before breakfast. I'm just coming off being sick this whole last week. Even took Wed off work I felt so crappy. Fucking flu I think. Never got a fever, but I slept all day Wed just to get a handle on it. Now all I have left is some snot and head congestion, but it's going away. Felt pretty good this morning, haven't had any tylenol yet today, hoping I won't need any. I hate being on that stuff.
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:48 am

Cock. Didn't have the right timing stuff, went and got an entire timing set at Motion, then to harbor freight for a chain hoist to mount above the head to make my life easier in my limited space garage. Now eating lunch, then going to hook up the chain hoist and get at it. At least the garage is now warm. Going to have to beg the wife for more time and maybe show up late to the thanksgiving party we're supposed to go to tonight. Just doesn't work with the progress of Datsuns. Never have the right something.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:56 am

I think you'll find that HF chain hoist comes in handy for a lot of things.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I am kinda surprised that with all the auto work you have done over the years that you didn't already have a chain hoist.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Well usually I use my cherry picker but have limited space in the garage during winter, and Mohammed is borrowing my cherry picker, so that was out. ;) I have the front cover back on and sealed. After dinner is cleaning up the head gasket surfaces a little and re-installing the head. I left the intake/exhaust manifold on again, which worked ok for the chain hoist, but I don't have it on a sliding rail, only the load adjuster bar. It's a little tricky, but should go back on easier than it came off I hope. A lot of wiggling it different pitches to get it to go back down over the head studs. It's times like this I wish OS Giken would have designed the L head for Nissan to being with and made it a cross flow. :D Don't we all?!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

:thumbs:

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Cylinder head is on! I figured out a much better way to get my offset chain hoist to behave for the head. Tied a ratchet strap to the exhaust and up to the eye hook, then just adjusted accordingly until the head was level while lowering. Wish I would have thought of that when I was taking the head off, but now I know!

Finally the Kameari cam gear is going on Wynona. Looking to get stuff buttoned up tonight, I'm thinking I may actually be able to get the radiator in and all systems go in a few hours. We will see. Got a massive headache. Took some allergy meds. Finally over my flu thing, but something is making me snot like crazy still.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Wynona is back together and would be running right now if it weren't for the dead battery. D'oh! Have it on a trickle charger while I clean up. I'm exhausted, still have a headache and lots of snot. Still think allergies, my eyes are going nuts too, can't figure it though, nothing in the garage to be allergic to. Whatever, time for a shower and playing with the dogs before sleep.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Ran her this morning after the battery charged. No more rattle. Still need to mess with the sus, especially since I changed the cam timing now. At least she's back together.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Hells yeah!

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Running by Canby?

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, it's running now, just slightly irritated with the SUs. Last set I had was flawless. I'm going to have to check this set against the other SUs I have and see what's up. Just doesn't run as well as I think it should. And the screw turns are way off the other sets I've had. Need to see if someone adjusted the needle height or whatnot. The other option is abandoning the SUs and going with a 4 barrel Clifford manifold, but I'd rather not due to already having the SUs and they're better for performance being a sideways carb. Then again, there are some benefits to the tuneability of a 4 barrel Holley. Meh, I'll figure it out. Now that I know the cam is where it needs to be and the timing chain is all good, I'll do some dinking with it. Should be able to get it pretty good.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Anyone ever tried that Arizona Z car manifold? Been reading up on HybridZ about it. I'm sure SUs are better, but driveability may be better with a 4 barrel. Not like I'm going to jump to spend more money now, but I always have been curious and I don't know anyone who has used that setup so I could ask them. Much less, can't find comparable dyno numbers for each.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:43 pm

My vote is to sort out the SUs. I feel that they are a superior setup to a single 4 barrel. BTW, I like Holleys but not on an inline engine when there is a multicarb alternative.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:17 pm

SUs.

Did you ever say what was wrong with the gasket placement?

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, that's my thought too. I'll spend next weekend sorting out the SUs. I have a sent with rather bent linkages that worked well on the race car when it was naturally aspirated. I'll probably disassemble them and compare and see if I can figure out why the current lesser mileage set is not performing well. Of course, I also haven't warmed up the car yet. Just started and SUs are always a bit bitchy to start in cold weather. Have to hand operate a choke while holding it. Definitely just not getting enough fuel at start up. And now I'm cleaning the house before some friends come over, with the help of some electro! ;)

https://youtu.be/FASvb2hplmw

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Ok, is the site going to work now? Kept getting 503 errors and such. Anyway, here's the response I was going to put:

I couldn't see anything wrong with the head gasket, but better to be safe than sorry. It does have a smidge of allowable movement even with the head dowels in. It also allowed me to put on the timing cover with a shitload of right stuff at the oil pan. Peeled off all the rubber gasket that was ripped away on separation. Used rubber gasket with right stuff lightly on top and bottom to create good seal but give some space if I ever needed to take it off. Makes it easier to get a knife in to cut the right stuff out. Also replaced all the timing stuff. New chain, it wore through the rubber and marked up the guides pretty good. So no chances, put new rails on and new chain. Left the tensioner on, just put in a new spring and rubber shoe.

And now, in addition, more old school hip hop block party! :D

https://youtu.be/Zta1Le1Q-iI