Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

DRIVEN

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 am

Looks good. The pics were more wholesome than I was expecting.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:13 pm

I aim to please! :)
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Got a bit more done today. Head is almost ready to be put back on the block. Then still a lot of peripherals.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 pm

I would have pictures of the head on....but I need a head gasket to do that. :( No head gasket makes me a sad panda. At least Rose is making a delightful smelling chicken parmesan, so time to relax and drink some beer with dinner!

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:40 am

Alright, finally have other exhaust manifold planed. Unfortunately it now has .087 off, just shy of an 1/8 inch. So the manifolds are different height. Got a couple ideas last night, went with cutting washers and actually welding them to the big thick original washers for a step effect to take up the difference. Should work well. I'll post pictures later.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Manifolds on, carbs gone through. The only thing that isn't fitting now is the exhaust. Taking off that 1/8 inch makes it hit the block. So I'll lop that off tomorrow and re-weld it at a better angle. Then hooking up some more peripherals and getting a lot closer! Still have to swap the fuel pump too.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Hurry up!
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH

Post by HRH » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:06 am

Lol, tell me about it! Trying to get breakfast done, then grocery shopping and back here to start working on the wagon!

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am

Fuck me, I hate Windows 10, have I mentioned that? If my old laptop hadn't died, I'd still be using Windows 7 which work just fine. Anyway, not having photoshop on this computer because I was still using my incredibly old but functional 5.5 (which worked on windows 7), I'm using paint right now to update these crappy phone pictures for your viewing pleasure. A lot has been going on, but it's been hard to update and I've been super busy. Especially because I'm trying to learn all the tricks of a new operating system and finding out how to shut down 90% of the template that's installed. Killed that bitch Cortana first off. She's still there, but can't go out and search or report.

So manifolds are on, the exhaust being cut down moved the pipe too close to the block, so I had to modify that. Welded spacers onto the big washers for the combined 6 bolts that hold intake/exhaust. That worked nicely. Other than that, I'm getting closed to hooking up other things and once all the front is buttoned up I just need to change the fuel pump in the rear to the low pressure application. Also may need to jumper the fuel pump relay, although I think if I piggy back the original EFI matchbox harness, it should pick up signal and turn on the fuel pump. I'm planning on bypassing that though as the original wiring is just that and I suspect a fresh set of wires from the coil to the ignition module would be a much better idea.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:15 am

The PCV valve cut off makes an excellent port for the valve cover breather! I was pretty excited about that, as simple as it was. Needed a 1/4 pipe to 5/8 tube, and thought how am I going to get a mess of adapters for that, it'll look like crap, then picked up an old PCV valve and cut the end off and dumped out the plate and spring, viola! Small thrills, right?

6-22-18 RIGHT HERE IS WHERE I FUCKED UP!! DO NOT RUN BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM PCV LINES TO THE BALANCE TUBE! IT CAUSES MASSIVE IDLE FLUCTUATIONS. RUN BOTTOM BREATHER TO PCV TO BALANCE TUBE, RUN TOP VALVE COVER BREATHER TO ATMOSPHERE WITH FILTER OR AIR FILTER BOX.
Last edited by HRH on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Ok, had a good day! Got most of the peripherals hooked up on the manifold. Have all the fittings I think to make the cruise control run and hopefully the A/C run at idle. Still trying to ID a few vacuum cans on the original manifold to see how they work. Basically a dashpot of sorts, which I'm planning on using for the A/C idle up function.

All I have to do is some wiring and hooking up of vacuum tubes, then remove the EFI pump and replace it with the carbed pump. Only annoyance will be that 7/16" fitting (12mm roughly) for the inlet on the pump. Have to go check the other pump and see what fittings it comes with. Think it's 1/4 pipe to 3/8 or something. Need to get outlet for 5/16 and inlet for 7/16 or somewhere close to that. Then should be just two wires and good to go!

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:20 am

Go man go!!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 am

Seriously, man. What is taking so long? Can't you see that I'm losing patience over here?

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Isn't he a newlywed?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Lol, yes, too much sex gets in the way of car progress! That and every thing I touch has to be fiddled with. I'm putting in a fuel pump with 3/8 outlets that are stamped, so I had to make a 3/8-5/16 adapter since I want a common replacement pump available. And most performance electric fuel pumps are too high a pressure and I'd like to avoid running a pressure regulator since that usually makes for high pressure low volume with carbureted applications.

And then I have the house to fix, all three cars that need fixing, and the red truck was totalled by O'Reilly's delivery driver. Not actually, just fender, bumper, valance, and a little lower core support. Still driving it dinged right now. They gave me 2800 for the totalling, which means I'll have to have it inspected by state patrol. Still need to get around to fixing it. The good news is some of that money is going for a new EFI system for the turbo Z car.

And I'm about to honeymoon in Hawaii in a week! ;)

HRH

Post by HRH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Finally got a bit done tonight! New fuel pump routed. Need to wire it, and probably make a protector for it out of the original pump housing/shield. It sits a little farther back. The 7/16s fuel hose end is 3/8 on the rest of the hose, just has a bell for the external fuel injection pump inlet which is 7/16 or 12mm. So cut off a few inches of the original hose and it fit right onto the pump. The forward fitting for the line has a 5/16 to 3/8 adapter I welded up by cutting off various fittings from various manifolds of Datsun descent. Okay, that's it, need to go to sleep! Took forever in the shower to get the gasoline off my arms. Bleh.

Oh, and the stubby air horns and air cleaners came in from England, sweet!! Only 1" wide or thereabouts. Very little clearance to the master cylinder lines on the back carb.

Dammit, pictures thing isn't working now. I'll try and upload them later.

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Hey, now it works!

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:23 am

Wagon runs. Have to dick with the SUs a bit yet, but she runs. I'll try to upload video later. ;)

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am

:fyea:

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm

It will be up in a while after it's done processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huy7P44eMQY