The never ending Project(s)

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Re: The never ending Project(s)

Post by izzo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:08 am

draker wrote:Nice work man!

That pop can fix was ghetto shit. But, it stopped the annoying backfire sounds and took 5 minutes.

According to dmike that sound was expected because of the leak. I just ran with it.. I did inquire about it though.

The pop i believe is coming from the hole, but i was meaning it shouldn't be missing/backfiring on decell. I don't think its hurting anything. maybe i should just leave well enough alone? haha. Won't cost me anything to throw a timing light on and see. I can always move the dizzy back to where its at now if it gets worse.

So I remember you telling me about a water leak, and unable to find it. well today its pissing rain, and i had a quick second to see what/where it was coming from... It's coming from the blower motor. I noticed a little splooge when i got in the truck. so i sat in the truck and grabbed each door handle and rocked it... it would spooge out of the fan box!

So, i do believe it gets air from teh cowl area... Water has to be coming in from there somewhere. I know you checked it, maybe its the pin holes letting water in? I will have to take the cowl off and inspect on my day off. It's a pretty tight area to squeeze in and weld patches. so i may just get some body seam sealer, and clean it, seal it, and see if that fixes the issue.

By the way, thanks again for the truck dude! I love this thing lol. Its a dope truck. It has no major issues. Needs a few small things as you mentioned before sale. But its a cool ride man. I enjoy working on it and using it as a truck
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am

You sure it's not just a plugged cowl drain? Or do 720s have those? I know I had a similar issue with my Z years ago. They were plugged with mud and leaves on my 510 too.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 am

DRIVEN wrote:You sure it's not just a plugged cowl drain? Or do 720s have those? I know I had a similar issue with my Z years ago. They were plugged with mud and leaves on my 510 too.

Yeah, i asked him about the weep holes. He said he had got the pine needs out of them. Tho there might be more, making it fill up and dump into the fan box.

I've had those issues too... With a voyager, 510s, and other various rigs... It's a common problem. Who knows, maybe he cleaned it and it got filled back up again lol. The drain holes was the first thing I asked about when he said it had a leak. IIRC the weep (or i should say little drain) is pretty small. It's been a while since I got all up in a 720 deep, yo :rofl:

inspections tell a tale. Once the rain stops that is
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:41 am

Also, this is a good read....

http://720world.com/forum/topics/front-cowl
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 am

My bet is it's from the windshield on the drivers side and maybe the pin holes on the pass side? There might be some little shit in the cowl, but I cleaned it like a mofo. It was PACKED when I got it.. lol. Like topped off packed. :|

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 am

:rofl:

Yeah they normally are man. nobody ever cleans those things out (at least non datsun people). If the design is the same as the pics listed in the link, it probably is pin holes. So will have to squeeze ma arm up in there and seal it off. Likely cause. Looks like a giant pain in the cock to fix it by way of welder :(

Ah well, will know more when i get it apart and see. I can use the neighbors hose and dump water in the cowl and see where it runs too. Next day off is thursday. But I don't plan on turning wrenches that day. I plan on going BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP in the fucking woods that day.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

draker
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door

Post by draker » Sun May 18, 2014 5:23 pm

It's easier to pull the dash and weld from the inside... But yes, seam sealer and done.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 am

Sigh. Didn't want to hear that :rofl:

I'm not a fan of 720 dash pulling. Its a project all in its own. Haven't inspected yet. Decided to go get gas last night and wander around fred meyers for an hour before going home and watching game of thrones (well i was on NWD and the gf watched it lol).

I'll get to it, sometime... I need some U joints...
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

K_trip
Cars: DATSUN
67 Bluebird R16/5spd
71 510 Goon L16/4spd
74 Li'l Hustler L16/4spd

Post by K_trip » Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 am

izzo wrote:I can use the neighbors hose and dump water in the cowl and see where it runs too. Next day off is thursday. But I don't plan on turning wrenches that day. I plan on going BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP in the fucking woods that day.
I'm glad to see you're keeping your priorities in line - good man!

There's something special about the smell of two-stroke's on a day off :thumbs:

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Mon May 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Yeah, it clears your mind!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Tue May 20, 2014 5:54 pm

rear passenger tire has a leak at the valve stem. the little valve inside won't close all the way. super small leak, but over time... I got the valve cap wet and put it on, can see it bubbling out...

Guess I need to see about how to replace that shit.. or just take it in :|
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Tue May 20, 2014 5:59 pm

They make Valve stem removal and install tools for keeping your tire mounted. Carlos Arias got a kit. Look it up. That way you are ready in the future.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Tue May 20, 2014 6:17 pm

hmm..

this is the kind of stems i gots...

ill see about a kit...
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Tue May 20, 2014 6:51 pm

maybe i can just get away with replacing the core?

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed May 21, 2014 4:06 am

Probably.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed May 21, 2014 9:06 am

It's that thing that is leaking... won't pop out all the way and seat.

Will give it a shot at least and see if it'll fix it. Got the wiper/washer bottle to work and filled up. yay!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Mon May 26, 2014 8:53 pm

loving the working window washer stuff :rofl: works good!

I can has carpets?!?

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

draker
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door

Post by draker » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Whom ever cleaned that carpet did a bad ass job.

:fyea:

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 am

Yeah didn't see any dirt. There's still a lot of stuff I am trying to get out of it. Looks like shit it picked up from over time... There is some sand in there, but haven't had this stuff near the beach or anything sand related.... It's been in my car port on top of my jobbox. It's coming a long.

I didn't want the rubber floor mat on my side as it would go under the pedals. So, i cut a couple squares out of it so it tucked under the seat nicely. then used the stock screw for holding the carpet in place to hold this in place also. So it stays just below the pedals... help keep the carpet from getting stained from mud or something down the road. It poured really hard last night. Need to check and see if there is water in the carpet. I should have re-cleaned and sealed the cowl area beforehand. but wanted carpet :rofl: My cars are the only thing I like carpet on lolwaitwut...
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 am

Haven't done shit. Haven't had time. I did scuff the driver mirror and shoot it with black paint. Need. To do the passenger side and bumper yet. Need to wash it and buff the paint yet. I vacuum it out at least once a week and run a microfiber cloth around to get the dust out. Inside always looks and smells like a new car! Found my old school radar detector. So will be installing it and the cb once I get a few minutes time!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )