CHEAP and easy wiper linkage bushing replacement

Forum rules
All advice given here is advice from persons using these forums,these opinions are not of the websites owners,and must be used at own discretion.
nwdatsuns does not verify the accuracy of given advice

This section is for informational How to's
Including, how to on datsuns, general technical, fabrication, electrical etc. Not limited to those, but for real information.
The how to make eggs and sammiches should go under General Discussion, as those topics aren't indexed for searches.
PDX Matt

CHEAP and easy wiper linkage bushing replacement

Post by PDX Matt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 pm

If your linkage is anything like mine, the plastic bushings have either broken or worked their way loose. My issue was both and earlier today when I quickly turned the wipers on/off I heard the inevitable snap. Took off the cowl and indeed my 30+ year old bushing had broken. I was afraid that I was going to have to special order some specific parts online but decided to check out my local auto stores anyways. I actually find a solution that's cheap and effective.

I found an assorted wiper linkage bushing kit at O'Reilly's made by HELP! Part number is 49447.

Inside there are various bushings, however the one you need is this one. The new one compared to the broken original.

The assortment costs $4.50 and includes 3 of the bushings shown above. Fits perfectly and got my wipers functioning once more. If anyone needs a cheap and simple replacement for their wiper linkage bushings I recommend going this route.
Last edited by PDX Matt on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Re: CHEAP and easy wiper linkage bushing replacement

Post by flatcat19 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Good post, Matt!