Jacob's other projects

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Jacob's other projects

Postby Laecaon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Well they started promptly at 8am. I was gone for awhile. Got back at 5:30pm, and they were 100% done/gone. Crew was probably 6-8 guys. They even replaced a section of plywood!
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow! Congrats.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:38 pm

That is good :thumbs:

It took me 2 weeks and 2 days to do my roof from start to finish(I put the roofing on the roof myself), and it did get rained on one night, but all the felt paper was down so I didn't have a leak.
It was hot(90s) most of the job, and I didn't work full time, sometimes I only worked half the day, as I said it was hot.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
wayno

Postby wayno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I just found out today that the neighbor paid $12,000.00 to have his roof stripped(tear off) of 2 layers of roofing, and then had a 50 year roof installed, it looked like 30 year roofing to me, but they(Home Depot) are guaranteeing it for 50 years(has warranty), a contractor working for Home Depot puts the roof on, and he pays Home Depot.
Fact is that the guy is moving to Hawaii(his wife is already there) in June and he could care less how long the roof lasts, he and his wife are selling all their properties and moving.
It cost me less than a quarter of that, but I did all the work.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Mine was a 2 layer tearoff too. Ran a little bit more than that but they replaced some sheeting too.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
wayno

Postby wayno » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:04 pm

The neighbor said they only had to replace one 2X8 foot piece of plywood on his roof.
I only had to replace around a 2X3 foot piece on my roof because of ants.
Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Postby Laecaon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 am

All I know is, it was done for half of what Malarkey would have charged. They used Malarkey materials. They are coming back to paint the black flashing on the eves to match the trim of the house.

Definitely a hookup price.

Home Depot is a store, not a contractor. They work with local contractors to get work done. You work directly with Home Depot, not the contractor, and the contractor has to live up to yours/Home Depot's standards. Kinda shitty for the contractor, but also probably a much more guaranteed source of income.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:16 am

Again, congrats. It'll be nice going into the rainy season with a fresh roof.
wayno

Postby wayno » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

I thought $12,000 was stupid expensive myself, after talking to him he had bids from $7,000 to $12,000 and he took the $12,000 bid from Home Depot, I guess the $7,000 bid was one guy and winter was here, like you he had a 1 1/2 day break in the rain and Home Depot got it done it when it was dry, the low bid guy would not been able to do that.
I would never work for any business like that again(sub contractor), I want to choose what work I am going to do.

Return to “Projects”