Around Waynos house

wayno

Around Waynos house

Post by wayno » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Well I had a leak this spring, it's a 20 year roof, and it was built in 1978, so it is 36 years old, it's time to replace it.
I had no idea when I was going to do this, but I woke up this morning and decided to get started.
I really don't have any before photos, would have been so easy, but I forgot.
This is how far I got today, I took about a third of the roof off.
I have a golf tournament tomorrow, I might do a little after that, otherwise I will wait till Saturday to do some more.
Not a Datsun in the photos. :lol:
Last edited by wayno on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Re: Waynos roof replacement

Post by 510freak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Thats some good progress on tearing the old shingles off Wayne
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I am doing it in such a way that I can just remove 2/3rds of it, lay the felt, then if it rains it will not matter.
Where I had the leak was not rotten, so that leak was the first time it leaked, meaning it has not been leaking slowly for a long time and rotting the plywood.
I put about 7 hours in today, it will take another 5/6 hours to get where I want to be, I can then start putting the roof on, and when I get done with that part, i can finish removing the last third, I don't want it to leak if it rains.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

510freak
Global Moderator

Post by 510freak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Good to hear that it is not rotten,thats always a downer(more work)
Great idea to lay the felt down to keep it dry!
Be done in no time!
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I guess I should have mentioned that I am trying to do this without hurting myself, but the body is old and don't like to be bent over all the time.
I will know tomorrow how I am doing, my lower back hurts a little right now, but it doesn't seem like a big issue right now.

510freak
Global Moderator

Post by 510freak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:58 pm

For sure Wayne,Dont over do it.

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Any rotten plywood at all? If not.. wow! Lucky!

And great progress so far! I love it. Now it the time to do it.. although it's not cool outside.. mid 80's are better than mid 90's.

Can't wait to see more.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:51 pm

I forgot again to take a start photo, but everything in the first photo had roofing material on it when I started at about 4pm.
I stopped at this point today after only about 2 hours work, I guess it helps when one figures out how to do something.
I still have to remove the staples and felt tomorrow, I am pretty sure I will have more than 2 hours into that before I am done.

BTW, that strip of plywood near the ridge never had any felt paper as you can see where I stopped removing the roofing, at first I thought the back didn't have any felt till I got a few rows down.

Still no Datsuns in the photos. :lol:

Justinberni
Cars: 1986 720

Post by Justinberni » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Wayno I owe you for helping me with the 720, if you need any help let me know.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Justinberni » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:37 pm wrote:Wayno I owe you for helping me with the 720, if you need any help let me know.

I didn't do anything that you could not have done if you knew what you needed to do, now you know, you can get just about any older Datsun/Nissan home if you know how to jury rig things.
How old are you?
Do you have a job?
Do you want work?

Justinberni
Cars: 1986 720

Post by Justinberni » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:52 pm

17, I do some work with my uncle, not a real job tho. And I'm always down to work.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Justinberni » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm wrote:17, I do some work with my uncle, not a real job tho. And I'm always down to work.

Your to young, I cannot put you on a roof, I could get in trouble if caught.
If you were related to me then I could get away with it, but it's just not worth it to me, I could lose my contractors license.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Wayno, none of what's going on there looks fun to me. Unfortunately, I may be in the same boat soon. You make it look easy though.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 pm

DRIVEN » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm wrote:Wayno, none of what's going on there looks fun to me. Unfortunately, I may be in the same boat soon. You make it look easy though.

It's not easy, I did make one mistake, I wasn't sure where I was going to get rid of the roofing, so the first day I threw it on the ground in the back, I regret that now, it will add an hour or two to my labor, I believe I have picked up about half of it, I will finish loading it tomorrow morning.
My roofing is old, but I figured out a few things, first I am drinking a lot of water, it seems to help my back, the more I drink the less my back hurts.
The other thing is that when it is hot, I am able to rip each shingle off complete, the staples stay but the shingle is soft enough so it just pulls threw, I make stacks of 8 or 9 pieces, I pick them stacks up and walk to the edge of the roof and throw them in the flatbed.
So basically it's not really very nice/fun to do this type of work when it's hot, but the job is easier.
The drawback is the almost every staple stays in the plywood, so now I am going to have to pull each one, one at a time, that will take quite a while, longer than it took to remove the shingles if I try to keep capture staples, and put them in a can, if I just pull them and let them fall on the roof, it will take half the time, but then I will have staples everywhere on the ground/grass, I did think about using a driveway magnet to collect them, and I thought about using a tarp also, I will think about it tonight and decide what I will do in the morning.
My plan is tomorrow to take the roofing to the dump/transfer station, then pull all the staples in the afternoon, go to Blue Lake Sunday, then put the felt paper on Monday, but you all know how plans go, I need to get the felt on before it rains, that's all I know.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:12 pm

I made some progress today, I hauled the roofing removed so far to recycling, it weighed 3460 pounds, total gross weight was 7060 pounds(truck and debris), I have had a lot more weight than that on my truck.
Here is where I stopped today, I laid some felt.
This is what the roofing looks like that I am removing.
I had to replace a little bit of plywood, but not where my leak was, that was fine.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Tomorrow is going to be in the 90s, and monday in the 100s. My suggestion, wait for the after monday for the 80s again and take a break, or just drink equal weight of the roofing material removed in water.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Laecaon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:38 pm wrote:Tomorrow is going to be in the 90s, and monday in the 100s. My suggestion, wait for the after monday for the 80s again and take a break, or just drink equal weight of the roofing material removed in water.

I have not even bought the roofing yet, that is something I will likely do Monday, and it will likely take a few days for it to arrive, as I am thinking about just buying it from Woodfeathers, they will roof top deliver it, but it will take a few days, so I will be getting a break for a few days, plus they will have the color I am looking for, Lowes and Home Depot don't carry any red colors.
It will cost more to have it delivered like this, but I am getting to old and tired to haul 70+ bundles of roofing material up a shaky ladder.
I am still looking for a roofing staple gun(air), but I have only looked at the big brand stores so far, and they only carry roofing nail guns, not staple guns, I was impressed with the staples holding my roofing on, I had to remove 80+ percent of the staples by hand, the other 20 or so percent reluctantly came out with the roofing.

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:11 pm

My new roof was put in with staples. I recommend it for sure. Also yes.. roof top delivery is worth it. Those bundles are very heavy to be manually hauling up a ladder. I've done it.. but not 70+ of them. That alone would kill you dead. My legs were burning bad after about 6 bundles up a ladder.. Lol.

Loving the updates. Keep them coming!!!

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:35 pm

draker » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:11 am wrote:My new roof was put in with staples. I recommend it for sure. Also yes.. roof top delivery is worth it. Those bundles are very heavy to be manually hauling up a ladder. I've done it.. but not 70+ of them. That alone would kill you dead. My legs were burning bad after about 6 bundles up a ladder.. Lol.

Loving the updates. Keep them coming!!!

You must keep in mind how waynos world works, if I haul a bundle up and put them on the roof, then when I run out go get another bundle, then my back don't get all seized up, because I am doing something other than being bent over stapling roofing on all day long, but if I were to actually buy it and have it set in the back of the work truck, I would have to build some kind of stairs to get it up there, because that rickety old ladder just ain't going to cut it, I am sure somewhere along the line I will fall off of it or something bad like that.
The mentioned rickety old ladder, it actually wobbles back and forth(sideways) when climbing up it.
There is actually a Datsun part in the photo above.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:15 pm

i spy a cowl and bed liner at least. maybe even the metal for in front of the dash?
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards