1964 F100 4x4

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

1964 F100 4x4

Post by izzo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Well. Until I get my grandfathers, this will have to do. Spoke recently to my aunt, the guy that owns it said he isn't getting rid of it. So, it will be a long wait before I can get a-hold of it.

In the mean time. This one will have to do. So many directions I can take this thing. I am not going to dump a big motor in it, I do know that much. Will probably keep what's in there now.

Info....
One owner '64 F100 4x4
292 / 4 speed
Dana 44 axle in the front, not sure on the rear. I think it's a 9"? I was told these were all posi rear ends. Sure hope so!
Custom Cab
55k original miles! Guy bought it new, and just used it around the farm. It has some rust, but to be expected. The rust it has, I'm not to happy about but what rust it has, is minimal really and I've owned worse. The tow was nothing but a shit show. I had a trade lined up..... The longbed nissan for towing this truck 2 and a half hours to my house. I filled up my truck, drove over half way there and the guy that was supposed to tow it, gave me the run around. "I'm on my way, running late." "My truck wont start" Oh I'm on my way. I don't know if i can make it. blah blah this, blah blah that. I had text him early in the morning before I even left to see if he was going to be able to do it. he said yes. Tha's the part tha pisses me off the most. So I left at 8am, drove almost all the way there... Had to turn around and come back. Got back to my place about noon. Rushed over to the ex's parents house and borrowed there 84 quad cab F350 with 460 in it... Had to fill that thing up, twice. I basically was out of pocket over 230 bucks from this by now.

Anyways, I left at 8am. Got the truck unloaded and the borrowed truck dropped off by 930. Picked my kids up, went shopping then was home at 10:30. That, fucking, sucked.

I'm pretty pissed off at the guy still. Been going over it. Here's what I know it needs right now, and then I'll figure out where I want to go from there.

PO said the carb needs rebuilt. He had a rebuilt one on the shelf he put on, but it had sat a while. Said it leaks when you let it run to long. Probably a sticky float or the needle seat is corroded. The dash lights don't work. The tail lights/brake lights don't work. Tho I tested those for power and they do in fact have power. So I'm guessing it's not getting a good ground back there. The housing screws to the body and that's the ground. Going to investigate more later. It needs the title transfered and plates/tabs. It's been off road since 2001. It needs tires, very very badly. They are re-caps and blown out. I'm surprised it's holding are. So, lets recap.

Carb played with
Lights
Tires
Title/tabs
Possibly the generator or a voltage regulator. The dipshit I was getting it from hooked the jump box up backwards, and since then the Generator light has been on.
It has rust in the roof around the rain gutter, and below the front window. Welding is in my near future.
It needs various hoses here and there replaced.
LF hub needs replaced, someone broke the housing
Radio doesn't work
Door handles on the insides are stripped out, need to get inside the door and replace a few parts.
It needs timed & tuned.
Due to rain gutter and below windshield rust, the floorboard has some rust, need to patch that up some also

The good.
292 Y block that runs great
Never been apart, even has the original generator
New radiator! Not the right one, tho
Fresh tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, points, oil, front & rear diff oil.
Did I mention it runs great?
Brakes were just gone thru he said, but I will be going over them
Clutch worked fine
He replaced the slave with a known good used one.
Windows roll up/down, doors open, hood opens. Steers OK, need to investigate to get it a bit more tight tho,

Haven't tested the 4x4 yet, but will at some point.

Pics. I've already started clean up process. It'll be a long one. Hopefully ordering parts wednesday to get me started. Will take me a few pay days to order all the little bits and pieces to make it ready for the road.

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Re: 1964 F100 4x4

Post by 510freak » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 pm

Awesome truck Tim!
Brings back some memories for me too,When I started in my collision tech apprenticeship in 1990,the shop I worked for had one of these that was being done up for a old guy.
it was the slow time time killer
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Welcome to the bottom of the homepage! This is where all the cool kids hang out.

You, sir, have a project on your hands. Congrats on the documentation. That's always cool to have.

That Motorcraft 2BBL is about the world's simplest car to work on. Should be a pretty easy task to get that truck roadworthy. Chances are good that the rearend is a 9" but I have my doubts it's a posi. Maybe, though. Post a pic and I can tell you what it is.

Get to work!
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:57 am

Fantastic deal dude. Glad you got one.

An uncle of mine had a '64 2wd and loved it. So much slop in the steering that you could go from 9 to 3 on the wheel and it wouldn't change lanes. A few differences I see from a glance is the bed is different (maybe a 4x4 thing) & yours has a dash pad and trim. His was also an inline 6.

I do remember him having a helluva time redoing the kingpins

K_trip
Cars: DATSUN
67 Bluebird R16/5spd
71 510 Goon L16/4spd
74 Li'l Hustler L16/4spd

Post by K_trip » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 am

Dig your latest wheeler!

Come on, what car guy doesn't have an old Ford truck story or two? I've got a '71 F100 4x4 longbed with a 390 4bbl, 4spd w/ granny first, and a 4" Rancho lift on 33" BFG Mud T/A's. I have had a lot of fun thrashing my truck. Being a half ton it's not a serious work truck, I just use it to play in the mud or dirt. No problem passing bikes (when there is an opening) and roosting them - hahaha

Can't wait to see what you do with this one! :thumbs:

yello620

Post by yello620 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Taterhead » September 1st, 2015, 7:57 am wrote: A few differences I see from a glance is the bed is different (maybe a 4x4 thing) & yours has a dash pad and trim. His was also an inline 6.
That padded dash is a pretty rare option IIRC. Only ever seen a couple of them.

Got a buddy building a 63 unibody short bed. Helped him parts out a few of these old fords now.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Haha thanks guys! I have been cleaning a little bit every day after work, I started investigating the no charge issue, didn't get very far tho. I tried polarizing it but the light still comes on. I pulled the regulator cover off and it looks brand new inside. I'm not sure what the deal is, why it's not charging. I need to tighten the belt and clean the rest of the connections.

When I test this. If the generator is bad, it won't produce any voltage right? And if it's the regulator, then the regulator shouldn't be shooting out any volts, right? I want to eliminate it before I start throwing money at it.

The carb is a motorcraft carb like you said Driven. It should be an easy fix. I think I will order a rebuild kit and just go thru it the best I can. I want to buy a pertronix kit and just eliminate the points. I have never messed with them. Also, I think you're right. My grandpas truck had a posi. I think this is just a 9" rear, and dana 44 front. I had a brain fart and forgot my grandpa had paid someone a lot of money to swap his axles and such right after he bought it.

Any ideas on the generator?
Also I have power to the little light pegs but no lights/brake lights on the rear. Probably just a ground issue, I am going to do some more testing.

Also. The dash pad doesn't exist on this truck. It's just paint :rofl: Jason, does your buddy still have any parts?
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:11 am

Sounds like it's time for a 1-wire alternator conversion.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

yello620

Post by yello620 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 am

izzo » September 2nd, 2015, 8:25 pm wrote: Jason, does your buddy still have any parts?
Pretty sure he has gotten rid of everything that he plans to at the moment. Never know when he might part another truck though.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:31 pm

DRIVEN » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:11 am wrote:Sounds like it's time for a 1-wire alternator conversion.

Maybe, I kind wanted a 3 wire alternator so I could keep the dummy light. Guess I could do 1 wire and install a voltmeter. However, I would like to fix the problem and continue to use the generator for now.

I cleaned all the connections, and used my multimeter. Engine off battery reads about 12 and a half volts, at an idle about 13.90 and any rpm beyond idle its about 14.4. So it is charging. At an idle the light barely is on with random flickers. Revevd up, it's on bright. Not sure what the deal is, electrical is not my thing.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:30 am

Since the system is actually charging, check to make sure you are getting power from the ignition switch at the bulb. That's how the indicator works; Constant power from the ign switch and the other side is grounded when the generator is not charging (or just not spinning) causing the bulb to glow. When the generator is charging it sends power to the bulb. Power on both sides (and no ground) will not light up the bulb. Make sense?

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Well I got some of the wiring squared away. Dash lights work. Now to replace them all with LED lights. I need to replace the rubber fuel line from tank to thru the floor and hard line under the cab. It fell apart. I still need to check on some wiring, I don't think the ign switch is wiring in correctly. Will investigate tomorrow. Ran out of light today. Once that's done I will move on to tail lights, get something figured out for that. Need me some lights, yo.

Once that's done, or even during who knows. I will be installing a pertronix kit. May get a rebuilt kit for the carb, tho I still haven't seen it leak. I think it's just the needle seat leaking. as they said it would overflow after running for a while. I think it's not seating 100% so it slowly over fills the bowls and yeah... Coming along, a buddy said he would give me tires monday. he never just gives me shit, even tho I do stuff for him. Kinda sucks. Probably have to polish his quad wheels or something for them. But that's a small price to pay. about 4 hours of work for a set of rims and tires, I'll take it. It's actually a good deal. Anyways, here's some pictures. I'll be doing more tomorrow and take more pictures. then. Till then!

8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 am

With the dash wiring sorted out. I've went back to cleaning up. I pulled the door panels and cleaned out the bottom of the doors. I also greased all moving parts for the window and also door latch and handles. I replaced a rubber gas line that goes from the suicide tank to under the truck. I need a new rubber floor grommet so the new line won't get carved out. I moved onto the cowling with my compressor and air gun but was rained out last night. I came inside and watched tv all night. It was glorious. Well so far so good today ad of 10:53am. Dropping an epic deuce and then I'll be back outside to finish blowing out the cowl here soon. The last time I had two days off in a row was fourth of July. Schwabs scheduling sucks. Obviously everyone wants the weekend off. They used to rotate it. But now the do seniority. It will be quite some time before I get there.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

510freak
Global Moderator

Post by 510freak » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Nice.......................except to much info
izzo wrote:Dropping an epic deuce .
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Rainy days, putting a hold on my work.

Dark horse 720 is gone, sold it. dude came and got it. got my garage back. need to buy some parts for the ford. Need an alternator conversion kit and some rims. I have tires. just need to find some rims. Works been keeping me busy, tho I lost out on some hours this week. Been feeling under the weather, burned out, hurting, and stomach issues.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

510freak
Global Moderator

Post by 510freak » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Hope you feel better soon Tim

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:23 am

Dropping another epic deuce should help with the stomach issues.

Hopefully everything turns around soon Timmay

K_trip
Cars: DATSUN
67 Bluebird R16/5spd
71 510 Goon L16/4spd
74 Li'l Hustler L16/4spd

Post by K_trip » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:59 pm

izzo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:05 pm wrote:Been feeling under the weather, burned out, hurting, and stomach issues.
I'm sorry to hear it -- I hope you're back to your old antics soon!

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Haha yeah, I'll be fine. It happens now and then.

Been trying to read as much as possible while I can. I do believe something isn't connected quite right with the ign. It will run in the on position but will not start in the start position. Almost as if it's not getting 12V while the starter is engaged. There is a pink wire under the dash that goes no where, a quick google on a smoke break made it look like that might be what it's for. Not sure, need to read some more lol. Looked at the wiring diagram and didn't see a pink wire listed anywhere, but a google search turned up a little info. Who knows, maybe it was red. But under dash doesn't get any sunlight to fade it. Ah well, will keep reading. It still starts, just gotta turn it over and when you left off the start it usually fires up. Theres an air leak somewhere, this and that... Blah.. It'll come around soon! I have to head to salem friday with a buddy to pickup some 40" boggers for his K5. Think I might go riding sunday at Sand Lake, we'll see. Kinda want to ride browns camp tho.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Awwwww shit!

Found these rims local to me. 15x10 with a hella deep offset lol. I think the mounting surface is like 3 or 3 1/2 inches from the back of the lip. Looks good! Two tires ok, two are junk. These are 33x12.5 tires I think, maybe 33x10.5... Can't remember... This size tire would be perfect for the truck. So at some point I will be finding some 33's.... I have a set of four 31x10.5x15 at work with tons of tread I will be using for the time being. Some pics of what it will look like. Also some pics of them getting polished. I still have a ways to go for polishing. I am not going for a mirror finish, just cleaned up. Hitting them with a blue 3m conditioning disc, then mothers power ball and alum/mag polish. Will be good enough for now. I may decide to either plastidip them later or polish them to get a deeper shine... Won't know till I start doing body work and figure out what way I want to go with paint/primer or whatever I decide to do with it.. BLah blah, pics, blah blah, pics.

The offset is too much for me to comfortably run 35" tires right now. I can get some TSL swampers for 200 bucks off a buddy, but they're 35's. Pretty sure they will rub with this offset. Looked around, was able to score some info. Am going to be looking for some high boy or 61-64 F250 suspension and possibly axles. Look at the difference!

64 f100 4x4 (This is actually a pic of my suspension on the front)

F250
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )