Escape From the Prison Planet

DRIVEN

Re: Escape From the Prison Planet

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:42 am

I haven't really tackled too many mechanical jobs since I've been over here. Did an oil change on the Cutlass.

Changed the leaky fuel filler hose on the El Camino.

Also replaced a defective newish strut on the Neon. Did as wheel bearing and blower motor on a Buick that belongs to my builder's 93 year old mother.
On Thursday I decided to quit procrastinating and replace the leaky water pump seal on Zero which requires engine removal. Should have been a straightforward job but somehow I managed to break an inspection cover on the front of the case. That led me on an excursion to the motorcycle salvage yard. A couple acres of mine your own gold. I could get in trouble here.

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 am

Ho lee fawk. I don't care for bikes much but I'd love to walk through there.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Was there any type of organisation in that motorcycle wrecking yard, or did the next one just go in the next spot/where it would fit?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Kind of. Maybe. There were mostly Hondas in the middle. Dirtbikes at one end and 3/4 wheelers at the opposite end. A couple hundred tanks along one fence. I was only in there for maybe 5 minutes. There may be a system but it wasn't really obvious while I wandered around
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I used to ride my motorcycle year round in the 80s(under 30 years old), but I lost interest in riding all together in the early/mid 90s about the time I bought my Datsun Roadster, then I drove that year round for several years and then I bought my Datsun 521 in the mid 90s to use for my pressure washing business(the work truck), I have not owned a motorcycle since.
I had several close calls riding motorcycles, one time I was hit from behind on the freeway and thrown over my handle bars, as I was sliding down the freeway(in my lane) the car that hit me just missed running over me and passed me on my left, I watched it go by, she came to a stop and came running back crying, I told her I was alright(I was), and then another wreck happened, what a mess that night was, the cops made me go to the hospital for no reason as I was just fine, I was wearing a helmet that night, the scratches in the helmet were not that deep, but it still likely saved the top of my head from road rash, I had several layers of clothes on as it was cold that night.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 pm

They can be dangerous, for sure. I've been lucky so far. Only wreck I've had was me riding like an idiot and sliding off the road in some soft pea gravel.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 pm

I never laid one down in all them years of riding, came close a couple times going around a country road curve too fast and hitting gravel.
I got my first road bike(KH400 triple) while I was still living with my parents, I bought it brand new from the dealer(my first loan), that was back in 1974, I made it thru 20 years of crazy driving as I drove it like I stole it every time I got on it.
In all my life I never owned a dirt bike, everyone I ever knew that had one was in some sort of cast at some point, and I also never lived in the country, so there was no place to ride one anyway.
My thrill seeking was in hanggliders, I made it thru 20 years of flying also without killing myself, came real close twice(well maybe three times), and I mean real close, people expected I was dead all three times and were happy to see me sitting up/standing when they seen me next.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Ouch! She punched the back of that thing pretty good.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Did an oil change and a set of plugs on a Silverado this morning. No pics because, who cares? After that was done I decided to build a front trail rack for the TW. There are a couple commercially available versions but I don't really like them plus I think they're kinda spendy for what they are. I had a luggage rack left over from the C-monster project so I cut and spliced it to fit. I chose a high mount position so that the headlight was still functional if I had a sleeping bag or something strapped to it.

I also ordered up this cheap little deployment bag from Amazon. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality for something so inexpensive. Has about a dozen pockets plus a bunch of molle web and eyelettes. I'm going to set it up for day trips with tools, basic first aid, and still have room for a few water bottles and some snacks.

Just a couple items to get started.

Almost forgot, I put a new Spark plug in it too since I figured it's probably the original from '96 still in it. Didn't think it ran too bad before but it's noticeably smoother now.
My brother comes to town next week so hopefully we can get some riding in.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Not a big huge update. Just been chipping away at the grounds. The previous owner was a total halfasser when it came to fencing. I peeled away a bunch of chicken wire as well as a bunch of cattle panels. There's still a bunch to do. Also carved away at the trees on the sides of the driveway as well as trimmed a bunch of grass up against the edge of the road. After that I finished cleaning the shed and moved some stuff in.

Found one of these guys laying in the driveway. Pretty sure it's a bull snake.

Also added some stuff to my TW bag. Still need to pick up a few more things.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Bull snake. Harmless.

That one is a baby. Last one I saw was 5' and as big as my lower arm.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Yeah, little guy. Not even 3' long. I'm told they usually travel in pairs so I figured it might be a juvenile. First one I've seen in person.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:32 pm

More work on the lower pasture. This place was pretty shaggy around the edges but I'm continuing to gain ground. I really need to remember to take before pics. This was the only one I got but it gives you an idea.

This is after about 6 hours of clearing.

Those brush piles are now about 8 feet tall. What I'm trying to accomplish is a clear access for a guy to bring his ditch ripper in and carve a nice straight trench to bypass the poorly thought out existing ditch that meanders through the trees.
Those trees are a problem in and of themselves. A previous owner put in the fencing and then planted the trees along said fences. The result is a tangled mess that will only continue to get worse if I don't correct it. Not a FML, just a lesson in landscape planning.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Probably also matters on the type of tree...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Without a doubt. These willows grow like weeds over here -- Think blackberry bushes. I don't really mind them but they're a little messy as far as dropping the occasional branch. You just need to pay attention to where they are planted (or are allowed to grow). Planting a row of them right next to a fence was just plain stupid. I'll get it all cleared out at some point.

I need goats.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:21 pm

I have 1 willow tree here. Its large. But yes, it drops all sorts of branches. At least its not in a terrible spot.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:17 am

I played amateur Wayno on Monday and pressure washed my front porch. Took a lot longer than I thought it would with my little pressure washer.

Also got the guy over to look at doing the ditch work. While we were walking around down there this thing wandered out of the brush.

I didn't locate any others down there and she was pretty tame so I figure someone dumped her off. Neighbor says it's pretty common. Daughter got her fed and rested and then she went to the shelter.

My brother came to town so we did Idaho stuff. Went riding at Pickle Butte, did some shooting at the range, rode to Silver City.
I should have taken more photos of the ride but just didn't. Round trip was just under 80 miles. My dad was on his quad, my brother on his KTM 250 and I rode the TW. Not sure if we got up any higher but we were to at least 6700 feet. Bikes didn't love it.

Silver City was a mining boom town and there are a few original buildings left. Fires have removed most. Lots of little cabins that get used in the summer months. There is no access in the winter months. The hotel is 140 years old but has rooms to rent. The restaurant usually has pie but they sold out right before we got there.

We ran into a dude there who was using a divining rod to locate and communicate with spirits. That was pretty interesting.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Decks take time, I normally use chemicals to do them as it cuts the time in half with better results, but I don't do a lot of decks anymore, too much work, I hate doing the pickets.
I can only imagine how long it took using just water pressure, they always look great till they dry, then you can see all the gray you missed.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:22 am

The job itself wasn't too bad, I just grossly underestimated how long it would take. It wasn't mossy or anything, just dusty and had muddy footprints that were kind of stubborn.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 am

You need to put some kind of stain on it now, preferably something oil based or an oil based emulsion(oil based but water clean-up), something with a color/tint in it, the darker the color/tint the longer it will last.
You also need to put the stain/sealant on when the deck is cool/in the shade, do not put it on when the sun is hitting the deck, you want the product to go into the wood, not sit on top of it, if it sits on top it will peal eventually, if the wood is warm to the touch it is too hot.
Consumer reports never rated clear products as they said they didn't last, for years the best product was Cabot decking stains, but they are a solid stain that looks like paint, you cannot see the wood when you are done, 99 percent of my customers wanted clear after I was done cleaning their deck, but I told them all the same thing, if the sun or rain can hit the deck clear will look terrible(turn gray and look dirty) after only 6 months, the darker/solider the tint/color the longer it will last, Pumpkin Orange will nearly last a very long time as it is the most awful color out there in my opinion, in all my life I never seen natural wood that color, but for some reason some think it is beautiful.