Escape From the Prison Planet

DRIVEN

Re: Escape From the Prison Planet

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:26 am

Honestly, I was on the verge of blacking out, I was so pissed. Seriously, my vision was closing in and my chest was absolutely pounding. That's only happened to me maybe 3 times in my life. Major adrenalin rush. Of course part of that was probably because I had just hiked my fat ass up the hill. :D
My builder has already talked to the roofing office. It'll be taken care of. He's got a couple other leverage points against them. Plus he's getting ready to start a project that they really want the job. Basically a subdivision of duplexes. Lots of money for them to lose if they don't keep him happy.

I have no idea what was going on with the siding crew for the last 2 weeks. They were out here working all day yesterday working with a full crew until they ran out of materials. I'd say they're about 70-80% done at this point.
The builder was here yesterday too and we spent a couple hours cleaning up then I helped him install the French doors in the basement.

And one last little FU. My well pump died Friday night. The guy came over yesterday afternoon to do the diag on it. I was really hoping it was just the pressure switch but no such luck. If the specs I was given on the pump by the seller were accurate, it's a little on the small side anyway so I guess now is a good time to upgrade. Just an added expense I was really not expecting. They're also going to be hooking up the water line to the new house at the same time.

I'll be working in Seattle for the next 10 days. Should look a little different when I get back.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Back from Seattle. The siding guys are done. The roofing guys still need to come back for a couple more things. The well is fixed and water is hooked up to the new house. Insulation guys did all the exterior walls and started the ceiling. Painters started today and got 90% of the primary color layer out.
Now it only needs everything. And, no big surprise, more tire tracks on the hill. I give up.

Spent my day burning brush with my dad. Lower field looks tons better.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Have you talked to the boss of whomever it is making tracks on your hill?

I'm a dick so I'd tell them to GTFOH. But tiny Town; that may be one of the only guys around to do the job.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:29 am

I only caught one guy in the act -- the toothless roofer. My builder has already put the office on notice that they'll be paying to have it regroomed. Pretty large company out of Boise so I don't have to worry about the small town thing.
The problem is that it's like a tagged fence. Once someone does it, everyone does. So I'll just wait until construction is done and get it handled. If I see someone else do it they can split the cost. Otherwise it's all on the roofing company. I still don't understand the mentality.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Played with the Bro Hauler yesterday. Got the new king pins and bushings installed -- super easy. Still needs control arm bushings eventually. Also replaced the front shoes along with wheel bearings.

The last thing I did was pop off a rear drum to get a better look at the wheel cylinders, which I figured were junk. Can't find a listing so I ordered a pair for a Suzuki Swift from Rockauto. Hoping I can adapt them to work. I already have new shoes for the rear.

I transported it from my parents' place to mine and have been riding it a little. Doesn't stop all that great but sure does run good.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:03 am

Weekly house update. Painter is done.
As you can see, the roofing crew hasn't been back yet to do the ridge cap or vents.

The drywall guys came in on Thursday and made huge progress.
Also selectively insulated some interior walls for noise. Not sure it'll make a huge difference but at least I can say it was done.

Only hiccup so far was the coffered ceiling inside the entry way was framed off-center. Pretty easy fix. I have a touch of OCD when it comes to symmetry and straight lines so I'm glad we caught it early.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:19 am

It's starting to green up around here. Upper field is bloomed out in little purple flowered weeds.
The lilac transplant starts I brought from the old house are beginning to bud too. There are purple and white varieties that have been started and restarted all the way back from both my grandmas on my side and my wife's great grandma on hers. Bird fountain, Hens and Chicks from my grandma's yard. 327 block from my uncle's scrap heap.

Also took a deposit on my little blue house. Hoping to have it moved out in early June. It sold in a day. Probably should have asked more. Oh well. Won't be missed.
Image :idea:

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Its really starting to look like a home now!

Im kinda surprised you didnt put a pit in your garage...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:20 pm

:D It really wouldn't have been a big deal. No real need though, I have a work space with a lift a couple miles up the road. Hoping to build a shop in the next couple years anyway. For now it'll have to do.

My wife and daughter were here last week for spring break. Wife is super excited, daughter wants to know why we did it right when she's old enough to move out. Duh.?.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:01 am

It's interesting that they installed the drywall horizontally vs vertically. Down here we stand it up.
I assume the front columns will have stacked stone at the bottom?
It is definitely looking good.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am

Thanks, man. Yeah, dry stack on all the columns. Seems a lot of things are regional in the construction world. When I worked in door shops in the Portland area we used 1/4" radius hinges on solid jambs and called out handing based on the hinges. In this area the standard is 5/8" radius on applied stop jambs leaving a 2" gap at the floor. To me, that looks cheap and unfinished. They also call the handing based on which side the knob is on. I wanted square corner hinges on solid jambs and had to find a specialty shop to get it that way. BMC West (which is huge here) was unable to do it.
Another thing that's common around here is chains for downspouts. I'd never even heard of them until a couple years ago.
You'd never pull that off in Portland or Seattle but here it doesn't rain all that much. Also, RV garages and huge bonus rooms above the garage are almost the rule in new construction unless it's an entry level home. Basements are rare. In a lot of ways my house is abnormal for the area but the overall style fits in okay.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 am

Septic crew was here yesterday and looks like they might finish up today.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am

You probably already are, but it would be wise to get risers for those tank lids so you are not digging a few feet of dirt out when the time comes to pump the tank.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm

Thats a good suggestion. I doubt there will be more than maybe a foot of dirt over it once final grading is done. It also won't be under grass either so hopefully when that time comes I won't ruin much of the yard. I did take measurements and draw a treasure map though. My last house was on a septic sysyem so I'm familiar with hunting for the lid. I'll probably mark them with a couple of those big decorative rocks I brought home a few months ago.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 pm

About 15 years ago I took a trip to Bend, OR. All the new construction there had chains as the down spout.

It was the funniest thing seeing it for the first time. I was too stoned back then to pay it any attention.

Bags packed now waiting for the housewarming party.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 pm

I guess it depends on where you live, in Vancouver WA having any water management occur less than 10 feet away from the foundation on new construction is not code, all water from the roof has to be disposed of on property and at least 10 feet away from the foundation and a chain hanging from a down spout is not 10 feet from the foundation on 99 percent of the houses built in Vancouver.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 am

I think the chains are kind of cool but there won't be any on my house. Just regular downspouts into dry wells.

Meeting with the door shop guy this morning to walk the house to double check handing and size. I also elected to use solid core doors in all the room entry doors but will be using hollow cores in closets. People don't typically use solid core doors in interior applications but it really gives a higher end feel to a house and helps a bit with noise. Doesn't cost much more either. If you are building or remodeling, I highly recommend it.

Garage door installers should be here tomorrow morning.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:41 am

Yeah, solid core doors are really nice. We are ready to sell our house here in California and move to Roseburg Oregon and you don’t see that feature on many homes, even higher end. Our current house has them on every door and was one of the reasons we bought this particular one. In Datsun speak, its like a stock door vs one that has a couple layers of quality sound dead ear in it. LOL.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am

Good analogy. Many of the manufacturers are moving away from the traditional pressed sawdust and using straw based core, referring to it as sound core. Not quite as heavy as the older ones but still kill some noise transfer.

fastdadd
Cars: 620 kc
b210

Post by fastdadd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:23 pm

i did a house package one time all mineral core doors...stupid heavy
nismo dr, on 26 Oct 2011 - 4:51 PM, said:

Dear Sir, I am interested in trading my left testicle for your vehicle. Negotiation may begin immediately. Thanks. Dr