Escape From the Prison Planet

wayno

Re: Escape From the Prison Planet

Post by wayno » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I am getting the idea, it's been a long time since I looked at buying 20 acres of desert type property, last time I looked it was going for around a $1000.00 an acre without utilities above Lake Chelan on dirt roads in the hills, but that was in the 90s(20 years ago).
I never did buy and am happy I didn't, as I bought the house I am living in 5/6 years later and I used that money I had for the down payment.
I almost bought some land very near Randle Wa up on top of one of the hills from a friend, but I just could put all my cookies in the same basket.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm

I didn't really do much around here this week. The only real improvement I made was to dig out the hole a little bigger and cap the irrigation line. I reduced from 3" down to 2" to a T and added 2 ball valves. That sets me up for next spring when I decide where to run my own irrigation lines.
On the subject of irrigation, this coming week will be the last before they quit pumping water. The runoff ditch in front of my house will be dry until next spring.
Growing season is pretty much done around here. Corn is all harvested and most of the alfalfa has been cut. There's been quite a bit if truck traffic the last couple weeks but it's mostly back to normal now.

Don't remember if I mentioned this before or not, I found out where that kitten came from. The rest of the litter and mom are living under my shed. Rarely see them but they seem to hang out in the trees by my driveway. So, free kittens for anyone who wants to come catch them. I counted 5 kittens, one adolescent, and mama.

Also, useless brown dog isn't completely useless. She chased a coyote across the pasture and off the property this morning. Still can't get her to care about peahens.

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:59 pm

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:32 pm

I hope that isn't the kitty-cats.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:37 pm

I'll never tell.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 pm

We need proof of life now, we need a photo of all the cats with a newspaper in the photo dated after October 7th, 2017. :lol:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 am

:rofl:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Did this all morning.

I have 3 HUGE piles of brush/branches to burn but needed to just feed a little at a time. Its still kind of dry around here so I only got 1 pile and some pallets done before the midday breeze kicked up and I had to quit.

A couple hours in, I noticed I was being watched.
Sprinkles are for winners and names are for pets (which these aren't) but its just easier to keep track of them. So far we have Ghost Face Killah, Humpty, and O.D.B. see the theme? The others haven't been seen enough to get named.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Getting started is always good. :)

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Indeed. Finally.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Is it semi level yet?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 am

They're still working on it. Hoping to have the excavation and driveway done by the weekend. Excavation guy did a rough cut-in and we all decided if the house was shifted 10' to the east he wouldn't need to move as much dirt and the driveway transition to the garage would be better.
I helped my contractor restake it yesterday afternoon. While we were doing that more equipment got dropped off and he started trenching for the new culvert.

Next couple days will be telling. Contractor wants to get the soil engineer back out here to be absolutely positive we wont need anchor piers. I'd rather err on the side of caution and now is the time.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 am

Look at all that large equipment, and then in the last photo that tiny little toy shovel. :lol:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am

That tiny little shovel did some surgical trenching this morning along with getting my culvert in the ground. This excavation guy doesn't mess around.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 pm

If it was my property I would want the water running above ground, but that is me.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

That's what I'm trying to avoid. The lower pasture area where the new trench and culvert are is the natural low spot on the property. My neighbor just uphill from that spot has an adjoining low section. It originally had a ditch that diverted the water into my old ditch. Problem is, when he goes out of town his dipshit son puts cows in that field and they trample the ditch causing it to over run the banks. So his field turns into a swamp and spills over into mine. The new driveway will be elevated and act as a levee when he floods out. The culvert puts all the water right where we want it. Won't even be an issue until spring when the irrigation is back on unless we get extremely heavy rain, which is pretty rare.
I'll get pics later that might explain it better.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 pm

I told you that was just me, I would dig a hole big enough to put KOI fish in and let it fill, I put a raised pond in my front yard because it was too hard to dig in my yard, the city told me I had to get rid of it several years ago, it is still there and the city has not been back.

Well that is not entirely true, they came back and called the fire department on me for smoke coming out of my chimney, lucky I was home, I walked out and asked them if I could help them, they said they got a call about a fire here, I had to say there was no fire here twice before they stopped taking their equipment off the truck, the moment they stopped moving the code enforcement guy started his car and flew out of my dead end street like the devil was on his tail, they have not been back since that day except for a warning about parking my trailer on the street when one of the low life neighbors complained about everyone else's cars because someone turned him in for something, I have a few jerk neighbors.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm

You gotta get out of the city, man.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I will likely never get out of where I am alive, I am not motivated enough to make the effort.