Re: Projects from THE COMPOUND!

Post by Taterhead » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 am

Looking good

Ni10
Cars: 68 510 wagon, 71 521, 78 620 KC

Post by Ni10 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:26 am

looks great Jess.
DRIVEN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am wrote: Datsuns don't break down. They just get unscheduled upgrades.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks, guys.

Wish there was a way to like -- and like likes.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 am

Put insurance on it yesterday. Making a trip to DMV today. Should be driving it tomorrow.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Okay, I know The Compound has been pretty quiet lately. Here's the update; I've mostly been driving the Cutlass because it's got AC. Also been rotating the El Camino, Goldwing, and Bastard Scrambler. The 510 gets driven a bit too. Work is always super busy in the summer months so I haven't had much time for projects lately. Also, I've been trying to work the deal on the Idaho move. I posted a bit about it in Insomniacs a few weeks ago but here's a recap. Just under 5 acres on a hill. North side bordered by an irrigation canal, east side is Hwy 78, south and west side are horse pasture. The lower portion is really green and has several trees along with an irrigation trench. There is a decent single-wide with recent remodel work along with a couple outbuildings. It has irrigation rights and could be a beautiful plot. My plan is to build in the upper portion (currently horse pasture) while living in the lower house, then sell the manufactured home and move it out.
Looking northeast toward Lizard Butte...
Looking East over wine country...
I'm up against a deadline of 6/17 so I've been trying to line everything up. Lots of focus on The Compound with an eye toward resale. De-clutter is at the forefront. I've pretty well gotten the property cleaned up and have been actively eliminating unnecessary items in the shop. Seriously, fuckers. Buy my shit!
There's some interior trim work to do in the next few weeks. I also am planning to try to sell my waste oil furnace from the shop. Another thing I need to get around to is dragging the '35 Shotrod Sedan to DMV and get the paperwork handled. I really want to build it in the next couple years and Idaho is sticky about paperwork. No title - no luck. Also, the Goldwing and Bastard Scrambler will be put up for sale next spring. The final maybe is whether the 510 wagon will make the move or not. It's a fun car, but really, it's just one more complication. I won't likely have a shop for a while and the house plans only spec a 3 car garage. What to do...?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Pearl white '64 El Camino sold and left for Vegas today. That might be the longest I can remember my dad owning a car other than when he had my brother's black '36.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:16 am

:(

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:38 am

Bittersweet, I guess. He's gone as far as it makes sense with it. Ready for another project. On the other hand, he, my brother, and I have countless hours in it. The new owner should be very satisfied.

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Post by 510freak » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Always kind of hard to see soemthing,thats been around so long,leave. But like you say Jess,Bittersweet prevails
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 pm

It's just a car...a car I spent a LOT of time on. I am pretty excited to see what he comes up with next. Not sure what it'll be but he has been talking about an LS '62 Impala for a while. He's always on the hunt for mid-30s Fords too.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 pm

I say keep the 510, its a fun car, reliable, and small. They arent super rust prone (been around for 45 years) so outside isnt a super problem. Also, 510s are still going up in value, even if it has the heart of a gm.

The new land looks cool. If I had an option I would build the house with trees around it; trees act as natural wind and sun guards.

And I am still thinking of buying your subs...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:36 am

I tried to be pretty respectful with the install so it wouldn't be any big deal to make it Datsun/Nissan powered again. Really can't complain about the Quad though. It's been super reliable and it is a fun car to drive. The biggest factor is that I'll likely be going from a situation where I can park 10+ cars and a few motorcycles inside to a house that's spec'ed for a 3 car garage. Both my motorcycles will be up for sale next spring so they aren't an issue. The Cutlass and El Camino aren't going anywhere and really prefer to be garaged but there's really no reason either (or both) couldn't become my daily driver(s). Wife's Venza and daughter's Neon wouldn't need to live inside. The '35 pickup and '35 Sedan are making the trip too but I have a plan for them. That leaves the 510. It's useful and fun but not necessary at this point -- I just don't need it anymore.

Now, a little more about the next Compound. Given budget constraints, an actual shop may have to wait a bit. This is the house we're planning to build https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2666-sq ... ntry-38976 with a few minor tweaks. I'd place it on the lot so that the front is against the uphill side of the lot and the back has the valley view. The cool thing about this particular house is that it's really expandable and if it was completely finished out could go to about 7000 sq ft. We won't be going anywhere close to that. It will have a full walk-out basement though. It would be pretty easy to roll the '35s through some double doors for storage. Also, I'm getting an Indian once we're settled. This has been decreed.

Jacob, you can see the silhouette of the current house down in the trees. I think that would be a great location for a future shop for the exact reasons you mentioned. Plus, shops don't need a view. It's really just a math equation at this point. If I have the leftover funds I'll build a shop. If it all gets used in the build, the shop has to wait. Besides, my parents live about 5 minutes away from this spot so I still have access to a work space. None of it is a done deal yet but I'm working on it. The seller is in a bit of a tough spot because he needs a cash buyer. You can't get a conventional loan on land with a manufactured home so I'm trying the credit line approach. It's a long process.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Idaho adventure made me want a quad. Working a deal on a 400EX. Pics when I get it home.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:29 am

Signing papers tonight. Closing next week. By next Friday I'll own my own piece of Potadaho.
This is happening.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:28 pm

exciting!

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Congratulations :)
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:08 am

Thanks, guys. It's not quite a done deal yet. There is a contingency related to the water access. There are 4 acres of water rights attached to the property but the current owner has never utilized them. He has been using his own drinking well and rain runoff to keep the lower 2 acres green. BTW, all those trees are less than 15 years old -- Things grow pretty fast there. Anyway, the distribution box and pump is located on the property a ways away and there is a water line that runs across the upper part of "my" property. Traditionally, in a common situation like this, I would just work out a deal with the neighbor to chip in a few bucks a year for electricity to run the pump and pay for maintenance. The neighbor currently has his property for sale so I am attempting to run my own water line to my own box/pump. That way it doesn't matter what happens with the property next door. I'll be set for life. So in dealing with the cool old guy next door, he is all for it and gave me permission to trench across his field but for whatever reason his wife won't sign the easement. Either way I have irrigation water. I'm just trying to get complete control over it. Less hassle for everyone in the end.
Water rights are a big deal over there. Serious law suits all the time when someones supply is interrupted. I don't ever want to take it there. I'm not a farmer by any stretch but I would like a green lawn and maybe a garden. We'll see how it plays out.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Impulse buy. OTC portapower. New in box but dusty. Significant discount.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Ooo, I want. There is a way to add attachment's to do other things, like press hub bearings out on a car.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 pm

If you're interested, my boss mentioned he'd sell me his Chinese made set pretty cheap. It's a 4-ton and he wants to upgrade to a 10 ton.