House Work (water damage)

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

House Work (water damage)

Post by Laecaon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 pm

So a couple months ago my water heater died. It was leaking water as it had rusted out. Well all this water then dripped onto my moms bathroom ceiling, and down a wall. We got a plumber out and he replaced the water heater, and then we got water damage people out, and they ripped out everything damaged, and then dried out the place. During the tear out, We found water damage across the room... So we decided to open that wall too. We discovered a leaky pipe. My guess, it had been leaking for quite some time.

It sat like that for awhile. My mom then came to me and asked if I would like to earn some money. I am now repairing the house.

So I started with the water pipe leak, or the damage from it. It is bad. Very bad. I could poke my finger through the wood... The bottoms of 4 studs where all rotten. I needed to replace those. So I started to do some investigation before I dived into this. Going under my house, I could see that the sub floor was rotten to the other side of the wall, yay. So at this point I made some stands and supported the floor the under the walls on either side of where I was going to be cutting studs. I also placed a 2x4 from wall down to floor joist for support. At this point I did some cutting. I dont think I could have done this without my sawzall, and battery powered means no wires! So I cut the studs out. And had assembled whats going to be a permanent support ahead of time and placed it under the remaining part of the studs. Once this was in I felt a lot better. But it was also at this time I could see more damage. Into the closet and my bathroom on the other side of the wall.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Re: House Work (water damage)

Post by Laecaon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:34 pm

So I emptied out the affected closet. And I pulled up the underlayment in the corner. Sure enough, more bad sub floor. But also some relief! The piece of subfloor ended on the joist in the closet, and the next piece of subfloor appeared unaffected.

So I decided to cut out what was known to be bad. At this point I was just avoiding what I knew I had to do. Go into my bathroom.

In the affected corner of the bathroom is the right half of my sink/cabinet. I emptied out the bottom, and pulled the floor of the cabinet up. The first thing I noticed was mold in the offending corner. Well while inspecting things, I thought I saw something wrong. The sides of the cabinet are closed, as in there is a panel. I proceeded to cut a patch of the panel out, only to reveal a ton of mold. I then just cut the panel out, revealing the wall behind it. It was bad. After a picture taking opportunity (which I havent uploaded...), I grabbed a mask, gloves and a trash bag. I then proceeded to cut that shit out.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 pm

So now I have 3 affected rooms. 2 that need to be returned to normal asap. I also still have my job to do. And sometimes when I come home I feel like shit, and dont want to do anything, like today. Actually I feel fine, but tomorrow is going to suck, so blah.

The good news is, after this, my goon will be on the road.

draker
Cars: 1969 Datsun 510 - 4 door
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door
1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Post by draker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't envy you, sir. I am working on my house almost every single weekend.. I'm more than burnt out.. but not done yet.

Great work though! You are saving tons of money doing it yourself. If that is a load bearing wall I'd probably put a bolt through those supports at the bottom.. unless those are just temp support. Looks like you got it handled though. I HATE going in the crawl space. Fucking sucks.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:02 pm

At least you are making money fixing it, I have to open my wallet and do all the work, as I cannot afford to pay someone like me to do it.
This is good practice for when you own your own home, I am not looking forward to installing a new roof, it gives me pain to think about it.
Last edited by wayno on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

draker
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door

Post by draker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:04 pm

wayno wrote:At least you are making money fixing it, I have to open my wallet and do all the work, as I cannot afford to pay someone like me to do it.
This is good practice for when you own your own home, I am not looking forward to installing a new roof, it's painful just thinking about it.
I did my the roof on my shed... maybe 16x16.... hated it. But got it done. My suggestion... do it early summer and take your time.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:09 pm

draker wrote:
wayno wrote:At least you are making money fixing it, I have to open my wallet and do all the work, as I cannot afford to pay someone like me to do it.
This is good practice for when you own your own home, I am not looking forward to installing a new roof, it's painful just thinking about it.
I did my the roof on my shed... maybe 16x16.... hated it. But got it done. My suggestion... do it early summer and take your time.

That's my busiest time of year for pressure washing, it seems like I don't get any time off anymore though, if I can find some time, I will pay the kid next door to help me early spring, I just have to be ready for that first week of good weather, roofing waiting, staple gun ready, ect.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

draker
1971 Datsun 510 - 2 door

Post by draker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Where I went wrong..... Get a bunch of hooked roofing razor blades.. lol

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Sigh. Went to get a sheet of plywood for the subfloor. I need true 3/4 inch. Of course Home Depot and Lowes only carry 23/32. And its Sunday, so good luck anywhere else.

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:06 am

damn!!!

i hate water damage, i had an office flood once....

not much funnier that watching tech guys scramble to save servers :D
pits, tits, tats, dats, and good times yo...... dont need nothing else in life

flatcat19 wrote:For the people; By the people; In the name of all that is Datsun!

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 am

ive done my share of framing and carpentry lemme know if you want a hand.

flatcat19 wrote:For the people; By the people; In the name of all that is Datsun!

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:24 pm

So been chipping away at it. Got the framing all finished up. Now onto Drywall/texture, underllayment, and tile in the bathroom. Then I can paint! I like painting...

Got a demo blade for the sawzall, damn this thing cuts through anything fast! (8"tiles are the background)

Finally patched the hole.

Home Depot trip with a friends Ranger, but small trucks have a problem with 4x8 sheets...

I solved it like this. I had rope running through the blocks in the back to keep them from falling.

Starting to prep for new drywall

Close up of the finished "framing".

And from my bathroom.

And the first piece of drywall!

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm

gettn after it man!!!

looks good

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm

too bad you had to damage that adorable wildlife mural.....

:troll:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

None of that looks fun to me. All it did was remind me of all the unfinished projects at my house. Jacob, you suck.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Jamee
Title: Fluffer
Cars: 1977 Datsun B210

Post by Jamee » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:17 pm

well done sir!

I find this kind of work to be fun.
:boobs:

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks Guys! Its not quite fun, its just work. The nice thing is that I can kinda just work on it for a few hours at a time. The annoying thing is Im continuously tired now...

Its getting closer, I think... I was hoping to get further today, but other things to do, but since Draynor was over he helped me put in one piece I couldnt do alone (and for some odd reason neither my mom nor my sister want to lend a hand at all).

Whats left:
Finish putting in drywall (only a few more pieces, probably finished tomorrow evening)
Joint Compound and tape all joints/screw holes.
Texture everything. I have done some research and it looks like I am going to buy a Wagner Texture sprayer, everyone says it awesome... Time to start my technique...
Paint (I like painting, I dont mask anything)
Need to figure how to move the bath tub.
Tile the bathroom floor. Yes I know how to lay tile.
Lay new under layment down in bedroom.
Assemble my bathroom cabinet.

I would like to have texture sprayed before friday.

Above the water pipe leak, ready for drywall

Another spot I have to repair

Look at that nicely cut underlayment...

At least I need to remove this underlayment to prep for the tile...

More drywall missing. I have now cut out even more!

More fun spots!

And that is what happens when water goes between drywall and paint...

Drywall so soft you can push your hand through...

That wall is ready for more torture...

This it now cut squarely.

And a large ceiling panel in!!!

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Damn, ur in deep

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Yea. It should all start wrapping up though. I just wish I didnt feel like crap when 9pm comes rolling by. Tonight I stopped at 10.

My friend just told me he is going to be come from college Tuesday. What that means is a mad dash to prep his truck for camping, and him helping me finish the walls this week.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:11 am

Looking good. Coming right along. Like everything else, take it one step at a time & you'll have it done before you know it.