LHD to RHD

Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 pm

If one was to switch from lhd to rhd, could he flip the dash around. and then get a rhd steering box, and then use the lhd steering column and pedals? correct? :? :ugeek:
User avatar
flatcat19
Posts: 4769
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.
Location: Where you aren't.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby flatcat19 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Flip the dash? No.
Column may work. Need box, idler, pedals, dash.
User avatar
wayno
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby wayno » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm

A lot depends on the vehicle.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
User avatar
Laecaon
Site Admin
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon
Location: PDX, West side.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Laecaon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Center link.
User avatar
wayno
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby wayno » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:17 pm

I believe that I could switch a 521 to RHD fairly easy, same dash, pedal assembly, fab up a gas pedal.
The column is the only hard part for me, as I like power steering, I do believe that I would use a 720 PS gear and weld the 521 pitman arm onto the cut off stub of the 720 pitman arm, or do the same thing I did to the work truck, custom centerlink(custom parts suck).
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 am

flatcat19 wrote:Flip the dash? No.
Column may work. Need box, idler, pedals, dash.

SIlly flat cat. you can swap the glove box with the dash, and dash with the glove box. and this for a 510 wagon
whats different with the pedals? and couldnt i use the LHD idler
User avatar
flatcat19
Posts: 4769
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.
Location: Where you aren't.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby flatcat19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 am

Then why did you ask, Troll.
User avatar
Ni10
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm
Cars: 68 510 wagon, 71 521, 78 620 KC
Location: South of West Canada

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Ni10 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:51 am

Shakotanwagon wrote:If one was to switch from lhd to rhd, could he flip the dash around.:? :ugeek:


we have a joke thread, you know. :fyea:

I like how you say "he", don't you mean you. :fry:
DRIVEN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am wrote:Datsuns don't break down. They just get unscheduled upgrades.
Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 am

Not a troll. This is a legit question, how much of the actuall left hand steering components can Iuse for a rhd swap. I don't see why you can't reuse the idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod, tie rod end
User avatar
Ni10
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm
Cars: 68 510 wagon, 71 521, 78 620 KC
Location: South of West Canada

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Ni10 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm not an expert but I'll see if I can shine some light on the subject.

you need to locate a RHD dash. Your LHD dash can NOT be flipped unless you got some real good fab skills.
you also might need to locate a RH steering box. Not sure if your LH can be flipped.

you might be able to use LH pedals and fab them to work on the RH if you got real good fab skills.

as for the steering linkage, what you wrote sounds that their might be a good chance it will work. Might have to reinforce where the idler and box will be mounted.

Then theirs the wiring harness since your swapping from left to right. that's going to require some opening up the harness and cut, slice, rerouting wires for the column and gauges.

Well, that's some things to think about and start looking for the RH goodies.
I've seen a thread on Ratsun where someone has done it. If I can find it. I'll post it here for you. Maybe someone on here might know who it was.

Anyways, hope you can get it together because I would like to see how it goes. good luck

:cha:
DRIVEN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am wrote:Datsuns don't break down. They just get unscheduled upgrades.
User avatar
flatcat19
Posts: 4769
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.
Location: Where you aren't.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby flatcat19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Cuz all your parts will need to be mirrored.
Things won't bolt where they did.

Jeremy (sssr20det) is going through this now.
He bought all the RHD stuff to do so.
Find his thread over there.
User avatar
izzo
Site Admin
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many
Location: Astoria, OR
Contact:

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby izzo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 pm

phil has done this quite a bit actually. some good documentation on it

what sucks is when you daily drive it. and you have to turn or want to pass someone. good luck with that :rofl:
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk

devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards
User avatar
wayno
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby wayno » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:47 pm

izzo wrote:phil has done this quite a bit actually. some good documentation on it

what sucks is when you daily drive it. and you have to turn or want to pass someone. good luck with that :rofl:



I am not sure what you are saying, I have a RHD mini, I drive it like normal, the only thing I had to get used to was shifting with my left had, which is not that hard to do.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:14 pm

wayno wrote:
izzo wrote:phil has done this quite a bit actually. some good documentation on it

what sucks is when you daily drive it. and you have to turn or want to pass someone. good luck with that :rofl:



I am not sure what you are saying, I have a RHD mini, I drive it like normal, the only thing I had to get used to was shifting with my left had, which is not that hard to do.


I think he means when someone is in front of you on a two way road , and you want to pass them. You would go into the left lane (on coming traffic) that because your on the right side of the car it would be supper sketchy.

I'm just very currious on this RHD stuff because wantanbe-San of rocky auto has an entire swap for me . But shippin is a bitch so I want to get everything as light as possible so I'm not laying an Arm, leg, and my Left nutt
User avatar
wayno
Posts: 3403
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby wayno » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:41 pm

As I said, I drive it like normal, have not noticed anything but that I hug the left side of the lane, but the car is so small that I am still in my lane anyway, and that is the most noticeable on the hiway.
If you want it to be easy, you spend the money and buy everything.
I am a fabricator, I make everything I need, the only thing I have bought so far to make a RHD 521 is the wiper system complete.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein
Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm

can a LHD steering column work on a RHD box? im not seeing the difference
User avatar
Laecaon
Site Admin
Posts: 3879
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 pm
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon
Location: PDX, West side.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Laecaon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 pm

I dont see why not.
User avatar
izzo
Site Admin
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many
Location: Astoria, OR
Contact:

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby izzo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Shakotanwagon wrote:
wayno wrote:
izzo wrote:phil has done this quite a bit actually. some good documentation on it

what sucks is when you daily drive it. and you have to turn or want to pass someone. good luck with that :rofl:



I am not sure what you are saying, I have a RHD mini, I drive it like normal, the only thing I had to get used to was shifting with my left had, which is not that hard to do.


I think he means when someone is in front of you on a two way road , and you want to pass them. You would go into the left lane (on coming traffic) that because your on the right side of the car it would be supper sketchy.

I'm just very currious on this RHD stuff because wantanbe-San of rocky auto has an entire swap for me . But shippin is a bitch so I want to get everything as light as possible so I'm not laying an Arm, leg, and my Left nutt



You have two of all those things, whats the problem? :rofl:
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk

devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards
Shakotanwagon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 am

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby Shakotanwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 pm

i see what you did there... And just so you guys dont think im a troll. Its Jalen from Ratsun
User avatar
flatcat19
Posts: 4769
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.
Location: Where you aren't.

Re: LHD to RHD

Postby flatcat19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Not troll-just entirely noob.

Return to “Interior/Exterior”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest