New Car Options

Non datsun Vehicles
noflers

Re: New Car Options

Postby noflers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 am

Decided to keep it a while longer. I know it will be handy driving around the hills of NorCal with the AWD and all.

So I guess I should do this first.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am

Doing the full kit is wise. Might consider cam and crank seals too while you're there. Or just do them next time you're in there doing headgaskets :D .
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
noflers

Postby noflers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I wasn't planning on it, but it's a good idea and now that you mentioned it I'll pay closer attention to the seals for leaks. I'll replace if they need it, or I'll wait until the head gaskets go again, but the engine is a few hundred miles from 200,000. I'll be extremely lucky if it makes it to the next head gasket as that was done last year.

Have you used that red clearance tool on the subaru EJ engines manual trans? Gates put out a TSB on it, not sure if Subaru themselves ever did. https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/med ... ngines.pdf I hadn't heard about it until recently. And I can confirm Gates kits are now coming with random Chinese bearings.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:42 pm

That's new to me. It makes sense. Our parts guy usually got us the kits with Mitsubishi belts and NSK bearings.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.
flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Postby flatcat19 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Ha! I didn't know​ there was a tool for that.

An old school guy I know would fold a piece of cardboard and use that as his spacer. That trick stuck with me for the next few sets of heads I did.
noflers

Postby noflers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 am

I've always eyeballed it as best I could. In-car it's a different story since I cant fit my head in there to look straight at it. Never had premature timing component failures... I just thought that was interesting.

Return to “Vehicles”