Lifting Front End, Trying to Determine what I can do with These Struts/Inserts

noflers

Re: Lifting Front End, Trying to Determine what I can do with These Struts/Inserts

Post by noflers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Laecaon wrote:You dont need bump stops. I never ran them, and had my car decently low on factory 510 springs (86lb).

Ok, threaded sleeves sit on your welded perch (Orings go inside to take up wiggle). Collars thread onto sleeve, spring goes on. Top hat goes on. Then camber plate. This is where you may or may not run into an issue depending on what Techno provides or your camber plates provide.

If you look at the needle bearing top hat, it is nearly flat on top. If you look at the camber plates you bought, the pillow ball inside is a tad recessed. You need the top hat to not hit the camber plate, just pivot with the pillow ball. There should be a sleeve that fits into the pillow ball on the bottom, and has just enough of a shoulder to space the top hat down.

When do you work? I get off of work in Newberg at 4:30pm.
Well the busy summer season is over at work so I usually am off by 4:30 every day. I live right down the road in Dundee, so whenever you are ready I can come to you or you can stop by.

noflers

Re: Lifting Front End, Trying to Determine what I can do with These Struts/Inserts

Post by noflers » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:16 pm

So I've got the sleeves, collars, top hats, and camber plates. Problem is, I'm conflicted when it comes to the caster. How might I achieve proper caster when the original mounting position is off due to the PO chopping it up?

Some questions... What does the top of the strut look like on a stock 510? Is there 5 holes, or only 3?

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Ill get you a picture...

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 pm

First picture is a trimmed ZX top hat. Notice the center hole is centered between the studs?

The second hole is what a stock 510 strut top looks like.

noflers

Post by noflers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Laecaon wrote:First picture is a trimmed ZX top hat. Notice the center hole is centered between the studs?

The second hole is what a stock 510 strut top looks like.

Got camber? Hahaha

I've got a few parts at the machine shop now, should be ready tomorrow or tuesday. Still keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of the springs I have not lifting the front end more than I want!

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Yea... happens when not a single part of the front suspension is 510...

noflers

Post by noflers » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:21 pm

Haha, true that. I got the sleeves from the shop today, but now I've got another worry.

I need the pillow ball to rest on the sleeve, but I also want the sleeve to be wide enough to rest on the needle bearings in the top hat. Almost like the sleeve needs a second step that makes it much wider at the base, that or a separate piece that allows for that.

Does that make sense? If need be, I can post more photos/details. Laecaon, I might need to message with you later ;)