My '71 510 goon

71Goon

Re: My '71 510 goon

Post by 71Goon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:02 pm

So I decided to really make a commitment to my wagon and ordered a full weatherstripping kit the other day. It should arrive early next week and then I'll get to replacing all of my cracked old crap. In the meantime, I adjusted my valve lash yesterday (some were way off) and also installed a headlight harness I bought off of eBay. The installation couldn't have been any easier and my first impression is that even my old sealed beam bulbs are brighter though they'll eventually be replaced with some Hella H4 bulbs. The only issue I had with the harness that I received was one of the connectors broke when I tightened the bolt down. It was the one that hooks up to the + terminal on my battery and I had a wire coming off that wasn't being used so I just used that instead.

Here is the harness I bought if anyone is interested in doing the same thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261297566673?ss ... 1439.l2649

510freak
Global Moderator
Title: DJ Jazzy Lou
Cars: Boo no 510 lol

Post by 510freak » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:28 am

:thumbs:
Nice Tim, Where did you order the seal kit from?
That lamp harness kit , Sure looks like it will work well
Taterhead » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 am wrote:[quote="Taterhead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry, I was channeling my inner flatcat.

71Goon

Post by 71Goon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:04 am

I didn't get any before and after pics of the lights, but I'll probably do that tonight when it gets dark - all of the stock wiring is still there, so it will be easy to switch it back.

With regards to the weatherstripping kit, I went with the only place that makes a true full kit - datsunlandsocal. I've heard and read about the horror stories and I don't want that dug up here - I talked to him and he seems like a decent guy and was pretty prompt with my order. I did check out DatSport in Australia, but Mike has pieces that they just don't offer and there isn't too much of a difference in price.

71Goon

Post by 71Goon » Tue May 20, 2014 6:04 pm

I guess it's been a while since I posted - where to begin...

- Weatherstripping installed, rear portion anyway. The guy who installed it said the hatch piece was a little too large but he made it work. It's not perfect, but tons better than the cracked seal I had. The quarter window seals seemed a bit iffy to him and one leaked right off the bat, so I'll be taking it back to him to see if he can get a better seal on it. All in all I'm happy with what I've had installed already even with the questionable quarter window seals..

- Mazda wiper motor installed and what a difference. Definitely an upgrade worth doing.

- Hella H4 kit installed and working great. I did pick up some different 60/55 bulbs from NAPA on a recommendation from a friend - he said they're noticeably brighter than the Hella 60/55 bulbs but I haven't compared them myself yet.

- I picked up a JDM grille, my favorite of the different grilles.

- I found a 720 ST hub and wheel and then found a Ferrero wheel at the swap meet this weekend that I'm going to try out. I have an adapter on the way so it will fit on the hub and I cleaned it up a little bit while I'm waiting.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Tue May 20, 2014 6:21 pm

omnomnom. moar pics of the car please!! Love that color. Loving that grille, too!
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards