Browns 86 4x4 dailey beater

Brown

Browns 86 4x4 dailey beater

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:51 am

I will make this short and sweet cause there isnt much ti say. Have been wanting. Another 4x4 for a while. Esgle adam bought this for his brother and now his brother has somethig new. This thing blew a headgasket and has been a huge pain thus far. By the end of the day she should be tip top tho. I made the drive ip from eugene to pdx a month ago to do a simple head gasket replacemnt on this bitch. Came apart pretty came but the head ended up being fucked uo between cylinders 3-4. Out back up head plan didnt work out and neither did the other two heads that we sourced. Seemed nobody had a decent head ti run. So this kne went to the machine shop. I didnt mind to much cause when i pulled the valve cover i was surprised to see how clean everythin was. Came back up the following weekend to put the head on and got as close as to slidjng the cam gear in when the tensioner fell out. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. We were on a time frame sk we said fuck it and i went back home.

Im currently up here now. Crashed at adams and im waiting for his ass to get up. Then we head tk the parts store and pick up the new timing kit. Then we will put this bitch back tohether and be done with workin on this for a while hopefully.

This thing is just going ti be a DD and general purpous truck. I want to do some work this winter to the 620. Make it a little lower and less practical. But its ok because i will another truck hahahahahah. Only real plans is a possible 3" body lift and some 31's. looking forward to doing some camping in the back of it and doing much needed snow trail driving this winter as well :). Here are a few pics. I will post skme more after i clean it up later.

Well photo bucket us being retarded like normal so here is one photo and i will post a couple here in a few once she stops being a prissy bitch

Brown

Re: Browns 86 4x4 dailey beater

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 am

Wedging motor... Which later failed to work

Bad headgasket and head off

Nice, clean, and freshly decked head

Torqing the head down just to later drop tensioner

Unbolting timing cover the timing cover

The tensioner in question

And one day is she looks like this i certainly wouldnt mind

Brown

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 am

Some quick info and goodies.
Truck somes with straight factory chrome bumpers to replace bent ones, new battery, both rad hoses, and thermostat. Has new control arm bushings installed. Along with other odds and ends. Truck has been taken care of its whole life from the looks of how clean the engine has been. Once the timing kit and head gasket job is done and i stalled all she will need is a tune up of the cap, rotor, wires and plugs and i think this thing will be happy as a clam for a while. Also has a weber 32/36 on it. Im really excited to have something that isnt slammed in the weeds for a little bit. Plus it gives me time to make the slammed to the weeds trucn ride nicer in the weeds.

Brown

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 am

Also looking for a driver door in the future, maybe some clean door panels. Color doesnt really matter on the doors since i wilm be more then likely just spray bombing the truck on account its like 2 different shades of red.

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 am

Glad this ones going to a good home, now make it go away!!!
pits, tits, tats, dats, and good times yo...... dont need nothing else in life

flatcat19 wrote:For the people; By the people; In the name of all that is Datsun!

datsunmike

Post by datsunmike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 am

Place trans in neutral so that shoving against the truck while working on it won't 'bump' the motor and dislodge the wedge.

The Z24 HGs blow (usually every 100K) from lack of maintenance by previous owners. The Nissan recommended 'fix' for the blowing of HGs is to re-torque the head bolts on a cold motor at every tune up. Loosen ONLY one bolt at a time and tighten to 60 ft lbs then do the next and so on in any order. I think the Z24 block threads start deeper in the hole and the HG delaminates from repeated heat cycling over 100K miles. Keeping the proper clamping force on the gasket prevents this.

Looks very nice. Is it red or wine color? 2wd 720 came with chrome bumpers... all 4x4s had black ones to make them look tougher? Either will fit and work. 4x4 front fender marker/turn signals are also black trimmed to match.
My Datsuns, like good friends, have never let me down. At least in any way that was not understandable and thus fixable.

Brown

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Pretty sure its just red lol. And yeah the bumpers on here are black. Getting replaced with chrome. But i might just paint those black too haha idk yet.

datsunmike

Post by datsunmike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:19 pm

My 'puter shows a nice oxblood red color. Chrome/black it's all good and ultimately your truck.
My Datsuns, like good friends, have never let me down. At least in any way that was not understandable and thus fixable.

Brown

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Well got the truck all back together and timed. Only problem is it still overheats. Clutch fan is draggin super hard. Almost cant turn it by hand. So tomorrow i will try and put a water pump in it and see if that helps. Also trying to sort out some electrical gremlins. Not getting any interior lighting or running lights. Played with a ground wire and it seemed to fix it. But then i lost them again. Looking into it some more tomorrow i guess. This is getting a little old. Atleast i know everything will be new by the time im done.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Brown wrote:Well got the truck all back together and timed. Only problem is it still overheats. Clutch fan is draggin super hard. Almost cant turn it by hand. So tomorrow i will try and put a water pump in it and see if that helps. Also trying to sort out some electrical gremlins. Not getting any interior lighting or running lights. Played with a ground wire and it seemed to fix it. But then i lost them again. Looking into it some more tomorrow i guess. This is getting a little old. Atleast i know everything will be new by the time im done.

So when it is running, take off the radiator cap and look in the hole, can you see the water moving when it is warmed up?
The clutch fan is not likely going to be why it is overheating, if it is hard to turn, that means it just turns faster than it would normally turn at higher RPMs.
If you cannot see the water moving, then it has a plugged radiator, bad thermostat, bad water pump, or maybe a radiator hose is collapsing at a bend, check the cheap stuff first.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Brown

Post by Brown » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Well it has a new thermostat, and hoses. Is it possible that the ezcessive resistance from the fan could be slowing down the water pump so its not circulating fast enough? I will chack and see if there is flow in the morning.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Brown wrote:Well it has a new thermostat, and hoses. Is it possible that the ezcessive resistance from the fan could be slowing down the water pump so its not circulating fast enough? I will chack and see if there is flow in the morning.

If it was slowing down the pump, the belt would squeal like it was loose, if it's not squealing, it's turning exactly the way it's supposed to.
Fact is that all vehicles had metal fans without clutches in them before the 70s, but they made noise, and robbed HP, as it is harder to turn a fan the faster you spin it, with clutches on fans made of plastic, the fan flattens out the faster it spins, so it is easier to spin, and the clutch also slows the fan RPM down also, you actually don't even need a fan on the hiway, it's only needed for city driving, where you are stopped a lot, so the fan pulls air threw the radiator, that's why it is good to have a fan shroud on the radiator, it helps pull the air threw the whole radiator instead of just near the fan.
You have to warm up the engine fully to check the flow, it should flow all the time after it's warm, you see the thermostat is not open all the way except when the engine is hot/over heating, how it normally works is that it finds a sweet spot somewhere between open and closed and lets just enough water to flow threw to maintain that perfect water temp.
If the thermostat opened and closed all the time, the temp needle would also do the same thing, go up and down.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Post by izzo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

the truck is originally brown if i recall correctly. It was hit in the front end as it hat fresh paint on the front. It may have been yellow? the bed was swapped at one time too.

It does have new bushings on it. The guy I bought it from said he did the head gasket a year before I bought it. Then I adjusted the valves, new plugs, new alternator. Tires were new when I got it. Radiator was replaced. You can tell the front end was hit as the radiator didn't line up and I had to ream the holes out.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

Brown

Post by Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Well after replacing the water pump and flushing the radiator it finally holds a correct temp without over heating. Yay! Im so over working in this truck hahah. But it didnt stop there. I learned that my running lights inly come on half the time and i had no blinkers or brake lights. So i cleaned the switch and got blinkers and stop lamps back. Running livht issue still seems to be a problem. I will just need to replace the switch from the looks of it. But i can live with it for now. :) victory!!! Gonna have a beer with adam and jessi. Then a 2 hour drive back ti eugene with the new truck.

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 pm

hey man 720s are notorious for running light issues. Check the hazard switch, wiggle it. Also, take some WD40 and shoot it in the light stock right on the contacts, then turn the switch on and off a few times.

Every time I've had a running light issue due to the signal stock that trick has worked, it cleans the rust/corrosion off and seems to be fine after that. May or may not work for you, but always has for me!

Btw, replace that u joint if nobody has yet :rofl:
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

Brown

Post by Brown » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:30 am

Well the truck made it back jist fine. Ran a little warm the while way. May just need to replace that radiator after all. Dicovered the cooling system is full pf sand lol. Changed all the drive train fluids. They were pretty bad. Removed the rear bumper and wound ip the torsiom bars some in the front to even out the rode height some. Balanced all the wheels cause theh were crazy bad, did a alignment and found out the upper control a bolts were knly finger tight, scary. And manahed to slam my finger in the door and now i think its broken. So plz excuse my shitty typinh...km in alot of pain lol. Anyways. Bath time tkmorrow for it then picks

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 am

the more you work on it the more im surprised it was still running at all for my bro.......

flatcat19 wrote:For the people; By the people; In the name of all that is Datsun!

Brown

Post by Brown » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 am

Yeah. Idk how it never over heated with all that sand and such. I oicked up some cooling system flush shit my work sells on saturday im going to run that through it and flush everything out. Pull the resivoir and clean that as well cause it looks like a ocean beach in there lol

izzo
Site Admin

Post by izzo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Check to see if the warranty shit is still in the glove box man. they were balanced at les schwab up here, they will redo them fo free if so.

And what is PF sand? You just redid the head gasket and put new fluids in :lol: where the eff did the sand come from?
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )

Eagle_Adam

Post by Eagle_Adam » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm

i think he already re-balanced the tires at his work izzo