Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Postby flatcat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Well, I was able to see it in action. Laid a patch of rubber down my street Sunday on his way home.
HRH
Cars: Lots

Postby HRH » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 pm

So I made it almost all the way home without mishap. Then the AF ratios started going super lean coming down the hill into Spokane. 18-20:1 At the end of the off ramp, she was idling on her own, but pissed off around 17-18:1 ratio. So I limped her home because I could floor it and get 12:1, then put it in neutral and coast it. It was making a horrific shriek (vacuum leak sustained) by the time I got it home.

I did some testing tonight and figured out I'm an idiot. I had both the PCV in the balance tube connected to the crank breather (which is correct), but I also had the top valve cover breather connected to the balance tube. In which case, it's trying to pull air from either side. Like sucking both sides of a straw with no result. So tonight I opened the valve cover breather, which will get a filter to either breath or suck air as the PCV sucking the crankcase sees fit. In the factory form, the top valve cover breather goes to the air cleaner box.

The funny part was I ran this by Steve from Ztherapy and he said that it was run correctly. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since just saying things is different when you see them and realize it's not correct.

Anyway, after that I tried to start it. Cra-thunk. Not a good noise. Rotated by hand, motor rotated. Tried again, same thing, half catch and stop. So I pulled all the plugs and checked. #3 was full of what I thought was water, but on closer inspection, fuel. So cranked it without plugs (and matchbox disconnected so no sparks), got the fuel out. I think it must have been pressurized from the vacuum leak and sucked the bowl dry after shut down the other night.

Restarted after that, had some piston slap/knocking. Was not very happy about that. However, after getting to operating temperature, it did go away. I'm hoping (praying to the Datsun Gods) that the rings were washed out and the knocking was #3 getting an oil film back in it. Finally found the leak at the rear of the balance tube. Either the tube is cracked, or it's just the seal, either way it'll come off and I'll find it. Car idled beautifully after fixing the pcv system with top side to atmosphere. Really irritating since I should have double checked that but you know how you get set on getting a car running to go to Canby.

Next step is checking compression and re-checking with the boroscope. Hopefully whacking the piston into a big plug of fuel hasn't hurt anything. Compression numbers and further running will tell.
Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Postby Laecaon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I saw it running. Even talked to Matt a bit.
HRH

Postby HRH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Well not good on initial start up after work today. Makes a noise. Kinda like a rod bearing possibly. Going to compression test next. I'm really hoping the motor isn't coming out yet again, but it may be.
HRH

Postby HRH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 pm

First go round

Second go round

I think the loud noises I hear on cold start up is either piston slap, or detonation knock, maybe due to the leak I found in the balance tube I need to fix, but also the jets seem to lean now that the pcv issue is resolved. Also, I suspect the valves need adjustment, since I haven't adjusted them since I built the motor. Either way, think I dodged a bullet on #3. I'll do some more testing and see how it goes. Also, the transmission input shaft bearing I know is shitty and it makes a knocking sound, so it's possible that is being heard through the block as well.
HRH

Postby HRH » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 pm

The only problem I see is #6 being 208, whereas number 3 is 190 (188 third time around) I do know I bottle brushed 6 more because that was the piston that killed itself and left a huge scratch down the bore. That's 20 psi difference between the worst and best, which is a bit high. I'll readjust the valves before some more tuning and see where I am.
DRIVEN

Postby DRIVEN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Overall not bad. Still within 15% . Likely to get better after a valve adjust.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Return to “Project Builds”