60A poppping out

Morrisun

60A poppping out

Post by Morrisun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:02 pm

My 210 5 speed in Smurf has started popping out of 2nd and 4th gears- sometimes on acceleration and sometimes on deceleration, what's going on?? Have replaced shifter bushings with bronze ones along with new plastic cup that is on the end of the shift lever.

datsunmike

Re: 60A poppping out

Post by datsunmike » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 pm

It's not the shifter bushings.

It's very unlikely that the following is the problem but check it out just in case.

If the engine and transmission mounts are bad or broken the motor and transmission will shift forward and back when decelerating/accelerating. It (maybe) possible the shifter is hitting the sheet metal hole and is knocked out of gear.

Try prying the motor over on it's side with a 2x4. Use you head, don't brake anything. Try both sides. Get under and see if the transmission mount is loose or broken.
My Datsuns, like good friends, have never let me down. At least in any way that was not understandable and thus fixable.

Morrisun

Post by Morrisun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 pm

After checking for broken or lose engine and trans mounts, they were good!
Pulled the shifter boot out and checked the clearance... 2nd and 4th gears.
Smurf was an automatic car, I had rusty trans tunnel with a good shifter hole and had drilled holes to line up with automatic shifter blind nuts and had run it this way, with a factory boot for 3 years- no problems. But a year ago put different engine and trans in the car and same sifter boot. This summer, the boot tore. I replaced it with another factory boot, no problems nice warm summer boot is supple. Cold mornings and boot not so supple or flexible starts popping out of gears. Solution:
Slotted the tunnel plate and bolted it back in place, more than twice the clearance. Tested it with boot in place, hitting the bumps-that usually popped it out of gear. Stayed in gear, 2nd and 4th, so Mike it was a clearance problem due to weather??

datsunmike

Post by datsunmike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm

WOOT!!!

It was an automatic that you converted. Just a little too close is all. Glad you got it sorted without have to take the tranny apart to not find a problem.
My Datsuns, like good friends, have never let me down. At least in any way that was not understandable and thus fixable.