My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

wayno

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

Post by wayno » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 pm

I don't think so, it looks to be molded onto the shaft and the yellow geared shaft is a lot shorter than the black geared shaft, I did look at just changing the gear though, I heard someone else broke the gear trying to remove it.
The shaft/gear are held in the housing by a roll pin though, the issue is that the yellow color/gears are so rare, as far as I know right now only the 720 mileage option had them gears, it was the 720 with the Z20 instead of the Z24, not many of them around, and then how many 1985/86 regular cab/short box trucks with short shafts were made with a Z20 engine.
I might have found what I need, Crashtd420 on Ratsun offered to trade me what appears to be a long speedo housing with a yellow gear for my black one, it's slightly shorter than the black one in the transmission now(1/8" shorter), but I think it will work.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 pm

I received and installed a long yellow speedo gear/drive, the only difference I have seen/noticed is that at 70mph I am right at 2500rpms when before I was slightly over 2500rpms, with the black gear in the transmission it showed 28mph on the radar when my speedo showed 30mph, nothing has changed on that, I showed the same thing today with the yellow gear.
I did have to cut a new groove in the speedo housing as when installed the gear didn't engage the teeth in the transmission, but turned 180 degrees it worked fine.
The stock groove
The groove I made, I actually cut the groove slightly closer to the speedo cable connection(1/16") as this gear is an eighth inch shorter than the black gear
Until I take another trip and see what mileage it shows at 10 miles on the mileage posts I will not know how accurate the odometer is, to know if the mph is right I will need to pace someone that knows theirs is right.
Last edited by wayno on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:37 pm

That is where a smart phone would be good. You can get GPS speedometers for them. Fairly accurate on straight roads. My cars stereo tells me my speed via GPS, and its usually within 1to 2 of my actual speedometer.

Most new cars over report their speed. My car has a stated 3% error. The M3 version of my car has a 8% error. I once drove a Camry that said 35mph, but the radar said 31...

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I have been driving this truck most the time now, I figured out how to start it the first try even when cold outside(above 45 degrees), for what it is I am amazed how dependable it is considering the starter is held on with one bolt and that turnbuckle that holds it up(the top bolt is stripped out).
I have noticed it is not so driver friendly when it is wet outside, even though I removed the 3.5 LSD and put in the 3.3 open diff it still spins out in first, second, and third if I give it too much pedal, but that is better than the ass end trying to come around making a left turn.
I still do not know if the speedo is correct, but I have went by several cops and none have come after me even though the speedo showed me over the speed limit a little.
I like this truck a lot, I would rather drive this than anything I own, it is fun to go thru the gears and a pleasure to drive on the freeway, that turbocharger is awesome, I need to find another 1985/86 Subaru XT turbocharger, it works great on this SD25 engine.