My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

wayno

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

Post by wayno » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm

I forgot to put the block breather box/tube/assembly on the block and I took it for a test drive, it is vented to air but the way it is made oil gets blown into the box and then drains back into the block, well it just blew everywhere in that area, it soaked the exhaust pipe so I am kinda wondering why it was not smoking badly, when I pulled it into the driveway it did not soak the ground, so it likely was not that bad of a leak.
I was lucky to get it in there as it is tucked up on the block behind the stock exhaust manifold outlet that doesn't exist on this engine anymore, there really isn't a lot of room in this engine compartment to work on things.

This is the block breather/assembly on a spare engine in the garage.

Here it is in my engine compartment, this is looking down between the exhaust manifold and the firewall.

I put the part and my arm into that black hole in the front of the engine compartment to get it in there and mounted, it took a while and I had to play with that engine in my garage to understand what angle the bolt went in to find the threads to mount it.

It was half a quart down, might have been half a quart down when I started the test drive, it ran just fine, I did notice at 70mph the EGTs are 200 degrees hotter now, and the EGTs rise faster also, being it normally ran at 600 degrees before and it rarely went over a 1000 degrees I am not worried, and when it did get up to 1400 degrees(3 years ago?) a long time ago when I first put the turbocharger on it likely didn't hurt it then either as I would think I would have had issues by now if any damage had occurred.
I am not going to like the EGTs being at 800 degrees, but I will get used to it, I was only on the freeway for around 3 miles, I need a longer drive to really determine anything conclusive.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:01 pm

I did a little floor board covering, I put matting on the floor, then I cut that vinyl cover I had in half and installed it in this truck, it's a really dirty blue but it looks alright for now, I put my wore out Datsun mats on top of the vinyl covering.

Here is the Air Heater Element installed under the throttle body, the red wire is ground, the black wire is 12V, it just turned out that way wire length wise, I didn't have a red wire the right length/gauge.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Today I decided I wanted some kind of light in the truck at night, when I made the kingcab the dome light wiring got cut, so I re-wired it with an in-switched power source(always hot) which was kinda a pain, and then I wired it to the old headlight switch in the dash, I seriously doubt I will be able to see much unless I replace the bulb with a bright LED, but at least I have that option now, the dome light works.
My doors do not have a button/switch to turn on the dome light, and the holes that would appear to be for the button/switch are being used for my speaker wires in the doors, I will not be changing that, the old headlight switch in the dash is good enough for me.

This morning I also re-adjusted the box on the frame, it has always been slightly crooked, so I removed the custom mount bar/bracket and ovalled the holes so I could slide the front of the box towards the passenger side a 1/4", it better than it was before, but nothing is perfect.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:10 pm

After years of looking it appears I finally found another Subaru XT turbocharger(used), I hope it's the same one that is on my engine now, I will take photos when it arrives, it appears to be the same.
It was a little more expensive than the one on the engine now, but I bought that one used back in 2011? for $50.00 as I recall and it sat around for 6 or 7 years, I was so lucky I found that turbo and luckier that it worked out so great.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm

I received these today, the engine has not been starting all that well the first start of the day, I am hoping these will fix that issue.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I put the glow plugs in today, kinda hot out to be doing this type of stuff(97 degrees), but I have a hard time getting to sleep when it is above 70 degrees, so I wake up late and get a late start doing things.
I don't know how they work yet other than it took a little more cranking before it started, but it was a lot smoother after it started, if it continues to crank that long next time I will remove the oil pressure switch wire and see if it starts right up, if it does then it is that switch, this system requires oil pressure before it will allow the engine to start.
This 521 kingcab turbo diesel is hard to work on in the engine compartment, there is no room for my hands anywhere except the stuff on the top layer, here is the back glow plug, it is the easiest to get to.

Here is #3 glow plug, it is the hardest to get to, I had to use a mirror to be able to see it to put the wire on it and tighten it down, I could not see what I was taking a photo of as I could barely get the camera in there to get this photo.

And here is #1 and #2 glow plugs, the only reason they are not the hardest is because I can see them, if I were to remove the injection lines I could get to them easier, but then it would be much harder to get started and I don't like turning it over a long time anymore, it is hard on starters.

This is the area I am working in.

I guess it is time to change the oil, I really didn't notice that I had put 5556 miles on this oil in just over 3 years, I didn't realize I drove it that much, it hardly ever needs oil and I expect most of it leaks out rather than being burned.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Once it starts it runs way smoother and will idle without missing, but it is very warm out right now, but it was very warm out before I changed them and it missed like crazy and would die if my foot was not deep into the pedal.
It still doesn't start as fast as the 720 engine does, but that oil pressure sensor wire is not connected on that engine as it will not start at all with it connected, I might try starting the 521 without that wire connected to see how much it changes the starting characteristics, that 720 engine starts so easy even when cold outside, it can sit for 6 months and it fires right up easier than my 521 starts after sitting one night.
It runs great though, I would rather drive the 521 kingcab turbodiesel than anything else I own.