Waynos work truck.

wayno

Re: Waynos work truck.

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 3:26 pm

I have been thinking I bought that at a welding supply shop, but maybe that was the aluminum cleaner.

Well I just bought another bottle of it on ebay, so I don't have to look now.

What is the best brand to buy a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench, Ingersoll Rand?
Is this a good one/type?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-Rand ... 7211!US!-1
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Another L block starter bites the dust, I just cannot keep a starter in this truck.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 am

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 am

:lol: I am scared to do that to any of my 320 trucks.

I forgot about the starter until I read this, I will just start it with the screwdriver again today and change it out this weekend when it is cooler, I suppose I could put a relay in again as it starts fine with the screwdriver, the solenoid is the issue, my guess is that it is made in China, it's that new looking starter I put in a year and a half ago when I did the chassis change.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am

If its starting with a screwdriver, you may try a thicker Positive cable to it. And maybe even run a dedicated Ground strap for the starter.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 pm

The starter solenoid is shot, it moves but doesn't supply the starter motor with power anymore, I spent a few hours trying to set something up but wasn't thinking properly(hot outside), I finally got it working with an external relay, seems like it never engages the first try but it has worked the second try most every time.
What I did was wire the alternator output straight to the positive battery post, then wire from the positive post to the relay, the other side of the relay is wired to the starter motor post on the starter solenoid with a jumper wire to the exciter connection, then the keyed starter exciter wire goes to the relay post that activates the relay, it appears to work fine except on that first try when it grinds instead of turning the flywheel.
I have done this before but wasn't thinking clearly when I started, I mistakenly left the alt output wire down on the starter at first which the starter kept activating thru the alt, plus I had a bad relay, or maybe it got ruined because of the way I wired it at first when I wasn't thinking clearly.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:19 pm

I am going to have to remove the transmission pretty soon, it is now leaking out the rear seal also, so I better remove it before it goes dry on me and I lose the whole thing as it is a good transmission, shifts good and there is no noise.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 pm

I never thought I could do it in one day anymore but I did it, I removed and replaced the transmission, I also pulled the transmission apart and found a bad bearing as I suspect the fluid got too low so I pulled apart the other transmission I had and looked it over real close, I found none of the big nuts on it were staked, I tried tightening them more but didn't get very far as they were tight, so i staked them and put it back together and filled it with fluid.
I looked around and looked at the sun, it was still pretty high so I thought I will try to get the transmission up there , well except for the block I had between the firewall and the head falling down on top of the flywheel where I could not see it so the transmission would not slide into position until I figured out the issue, it slide home and once bolted in I just kept working on it and it got done, it is still up on the air jacks but I started it and put it into all the gears and everything seemed fine, so I put everything/all the tools in the garage and called it a day.

I transferred everything I was going to need tomorrow to the 720 this morning as I thought I would not be able to finish the 521 today, so I will use the 720 for the job tomorrow and then put everything back in the 521 for Wednesdays job(cleaning my sisters deck), otherwise I am on a vacation until someone calls me, every year it slows down a little sooner as i do not do tile roofs or pressure wash any roof anymore, I just do stuff from the ground or use an air blower on the roofs I do get on as they are not steep, I just don't want to pressure wash roofs anymore.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:34 am

Nice job. All that practice paid off.
Now, use some of that vacation to buff out that 521. Lookin pretty chalky. :D
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:47 pm

That is the second or third coat of rattle can paint, it is not going to buff out.
If it was pretty no one would know it was me. :lol:

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

It's always going to be something, I used this truck to do a small job and when I went to leave I noticed a puddle on the ground just under the hole for the bell-housing area, so the transmission worked flawlessly, but a puddle.
Before I put the transmission up in position I turned it on its side and filled it up with gear oil, I just guessed and then turned it upright in the level position to see if I had put enough in it, it was a little over full so I put the fill plug in and called it good, I have done this before by lifting the whole truck on one side to over fill the transmission a little and had no leak issues, it was a 6" round puddle.
So when I got home and parked it the first thing I did was get on the ground and look at the area where it leaked, no dripping, but I just went out and looked and there was a puddle again, I am suspecting I will have to remove the transmission again, but first I will remove the fill plug and see how much comes out, I have never had one leak there before except when the lower bearing went bad and broke the front cover.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm

I pulled the fill plug and about 8 ounces came out, so far only one drip when I drove it 2 miles.
When it was in the air I seen that fluid had been coming out the transmission clutch arm hole also as I don't have the rubber piece in that hole right now, I still suspect I will have to remove the transmission again, that front cover is likely leaking.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:21 pm

wayno wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm
It's always going to be something
Welcome to Datsuning.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm

I pulled the transmission, fixed the issue I hope, and replaced the transmission, here is a photo of it out again.

It turned out to be the front cover(I believe), when I removed it there was no gasket, I am not sure how that happened but there was no gasket on the front case of the other one I removed either, I also remember one of the guys that works on vehicles for a living saying to not use a gasket on that part, so I suspect the surface was not clean enough, I hope this is fixed now as my body is not happy, I really don't need the practice.
I drove it 2 miles earlier and it made a small puddle, I drove it 2 miles again after replacing it and there is not puddle under the front of the transmission where it was leaking before, but there are a few drips under the end of the transmission where the yoke goes in, it might need a rear seal also but I won't need to remove the transmission to replace that.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 am

I just got back from driving this truck over a 100 miles and there is one drip on the board below the tail shaft, need to change the seal but not in a hurry for one drip.
It drove good in all gears, I adjusted the timing to around 8/10 degrees BTDC and I think it is slightly knocking, need to go back a couple degrees, but my foot isn't as deep into the pedal now on level ground, it still gets crappy mileage pulling that heavy trailer.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm

The seal appears to have fixed itself, but I lost my power steering hose today, I knew there was an issue but I could never find the leak, well today it became a very large leak and I could easily see it in the rubber part of the hose.
So I went to the pick and pull to search for something I could use but came home with nothing, the 720s there didn't have power steering, and there were no Hardbodies(D21s), but I did get something out of that yard, I finally found a 720 with a Z20 block, and they all have 3.3 rear gears, I have been looking for years for one of them, it will go into my 521 kingcab.
After I got back home I looked at all the power steering hose assemblies I have, I have two short ones, the one I removed where the hose leaks, and the other one leaks where the end screws into the the power steering gear, the one I removed I had flared the end myself as I needed a shorter hose, well I had another stock setup that I hoped the rubber hose part was good, I cut it short like the one I removed and flared the end and it split even though I heated the end before trying to flare it, so I cut it even shorter and this time I was more careful and without using heat I succeeded it flaring it and it is in my work truck now and it appears to not be leaking.
I need to get another pressure side hose and make a backup as 720s are showing up in the yards less and less as the years go by, actually I need 2 setups to have one for the 720 if it ever starts leaking, I may take my short hoses to a tube and hose place and have them both fixed.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:37 am

If you have good ends, a hydraulic place should be able to help you out. Filter Service just of MLK in SE used to make hydraulic hoses for us.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:46 am

"Oil filter services" is who you are talking about?
Did you have to drop the parts off and pick them up a couple days later or did they do it while you waited?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am

Yes. I used to work pretty close so I'd just drop stuff off during lunch and wait for a call. Usually next day.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 pm

That place is a long ways away from me in down town Portland, a place I try to avoid if possible as I hate traffic, especially Portland traffic.
I managed to flare the end of that tube on the 2nd try without splitting it, I drove it today and it doesn't appear to have leaked, I parked it 10 feet back of where I normally park as there are not any oil spots there, no new spots as of just now as I went out and looked.