Betty White, the poor neglected race car

DRIVEN

Re: Betty White, the poor neglected race car

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:38 am

Shrug. Forum Tourette's. I forgot what we were even talking about.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am

Rofl

It had occurred to me. Best case I have a bunch of miasdjusted cam followers. Although I'm not sure that follows either. I'll find out once I get the valve cover off.

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Ok, I know what the problem is. It's no longer a problem. It's reeeaaaallllyyyyy stupid. The kind of stupid you get after working way too long on a project and having lots of issues. Causes you to overlook something simple. Here's what we know:

#2 and #4 cylinders were having the issue. No change in engine running when pulling injector connectors while running on those two.

Spark plugs good.
Spark plug wires good.
Fuel injectors good.
Fuel supply and pressure good.
Engine compression good.
Removed valve cover, valves good.
Valve springs and rocker followers good.
Camshaft good.

Who wants to guess the fine dumbassery of the hour?

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:59 pm

2 and 4 injector connectors were backwards/in the wrong places.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:10 pm

Batch fire, wouldn't matter. Nope. :)

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm

#2 & #4 plug wires swapped?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Haha, there we go. Swapped at the distributor cap. Of all the silly ass things. Good news is I've thoroughly checked all the systems now and I have nothing to worry about. Valve cover was so clean inside you could eat off it. I think having a 7.4:1 compression ratio was thwarting me too. Still ran without much problem. If I had swapped the wires on a 9.5:1 motor, it would have been a bigger issue.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Being driven crazy about something has its own issues, assumptions are made, I did that(spark plug wires), it is done move on, this is especially true when making big changes, I think I have done that a 100 times, there is no way I got that wrong, but while your doing that you are thinking about what is ahead more than what you are doing because you have done it a 100 times.
Everyone screws up, some like me more than others, that is why I liked making kingcabs, if it didn't work out, cut it out and do it over again, in the end no one will even be able to tell I screwed up, I cannot deal with electrical stuff because it is invisible and i cannot tell what the issue is, it just don't run right, anything I would do is just guessing, and replacing everything can be expensive, and the issue may just be a wire not making a good connection, if I understood the electrical part I would have a VG30E in my work truck.

Fact is I screwed up the 521 kingcab top big time but I didn't want to cut it out, so I put another top on top of the screwed up top, this likely was a good thing as it is double layered and even though it has a pretty thick layer of bondo on it it doesn't flex so nothing has cracked all these years later.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Yep, it runs much smoother now. Tried to overheat it, luckily only got to 218 before I realized I didn't have the fan on. Got things semi dialed-in, it's good at idle and quick romps of the throttle. Unfortunately, any sustained rpm holding is super lean at 19:1. So I'm thinking tomorrow I'll put it on the next fuel range setting up. It's on 6 now of 8 I think, so looks like I'm going to 7. I think it's going to need the long range time just due to the compression. Seems like too much, but even with the screws turned all the way up, it still runs way too lean at steady throttle. That's just in the driveway. Haven't taken it on the road yet. Want to get a closer baseline before I do that. And I'd prefer it rich to lean for safety.