Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

wayno

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:47 pm

I was wondering how long he had been working on it, after 4 years had past on my 520 all I wanted was to be done with it.
Someday it will be done, when you sell it or when you move on to a higher plane of existence.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm

2 years smart guys!! :) So I hooked up the check valve tonight, and readjusted the brake booster. Nothing. Still the same problem. Feels normal when the car is off, no pedal when the car is on. Now that I've re-checked, I'm going to blame the booster. Since I can't find another booster close by, I'm going to install the other booster from Ugly Betty and see how that goes. Did I mention it's super easy to change the brake booster on the Maxima? Oh wait, no, it's annoying. I'll do that tomorrow, I'm beat from today. Plus I put right stuff on it to seal the firewall. Oh that'll be a joy to take off.
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 am

While researching master cylinder problems for the hard headed hardbody I found this on Nicoclub. Not sure if it’ll help you or not.

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:32 pm

I'll check that too. Even have my master tech coming over tomorrow. I'll figure it out and then I'll go do some damn burnouts! Wish me luck fellas!

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Alright, I finally have brakes. They're weird, but they work. Replaced all the rubber lines, even the rear, since I hadn't done that ever, I'm pretty sure. Had some leaks at the front caliper lines, tightened those. Bled the holy crap out of all 4 corners. Checked rear drums for adjustment. LR needed two clicks, other than that they were perfect.

Put the new master cylinder on as I found the old master cylinder leaking out of the rear seal at the booster. Readjusted the booster so it was at .390 roughly. Spec for rod stick out is .362-.441 approximately. It's the original brake booster in Wynona. Holds vacuum just fine. When I had the master cylinder off to adjust the rod head, it was still sucking it back in since the check valve is working. Held vacuum for 30 minutes. After all this, the pedal still goes to the floor when the car is on.

BUT, it seemed to have better feel. Pushing down with engine running, and then shutting off revealed no change in end travel. So I took it around the block for a test drive. It definitely stops better. Funny though, it has a stop point, but if you push hard when you reach that point, then it locks up the wheels from a 35 mph stop. It also slows right down from 60. But I have to press it pretty hard. The full travel is softer than anything. Almost like the brake booster is working too well.

So I did a bunch of tests, and it certainly stops. I've decided I'm just going to accept it unless it changes. It stops easier than it did before at normal speeds thanks to the booster. It feels weird, but I'm not leaking fluid and it works. Until I change the brake booster, I have nothing else to replace besides front calipers. I ordered those just to have in reserve off rockauto.

At some point I'm thinking I may need to upgrade the brakes entirely, maybe a Wilwood setup. For the moment, she's back up and running, and seems to be running pretty well. I'm going to buzz by a Datsun meet here tonight and socially distance, but Wynona needs a wash and a cruise.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:44 pm

If your getting to that rock hard place in the pedal travel it sounds like the front brakes need bled more.

My 521 kingcab rear brakes cannot be bled if the fronts are bled first, my rear brakes have to be squirting out a heavy stream of brake fluid before I can even start on the front brakes, if the fronts are even working a little I have to open up one of the front bleeder valves and leave it open till I get the backs completely bled, I have wasted a lot of brake fluid because of this, they feel soft if there is any air in the system.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:09 am

Yeah, I'll drive it to work and see how she does. Went for a cruise last night, all was well. I doubt there's any air in there, but you never know. I'm going to check the level this morning too, see if it's dropped any. I may have Nate do a gravity bleed at work where I can get it in the air a lot easier and get all four draining at once.

Flatcat made a good point, maybe I have fluid in the booster. Definitely a weird one.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:03 am

Anyway, point being I got to cruise the wagon last night, and it was glorious! Actually went to a small car meet. I know, social distancing. I had planned on staying away, but it was definitely fun and the wagon was a big hit. Even better, a local cop came by and was all stoked by it! :D I even raced Andy Kazanis in his Datsun roadster from the light. I need an LSD. Peeled one tire all the way through 1st, and yes, it's still quick!

Here's a few pictures from last night. I totally forgot to get one of the wagon, lol. Didn't take that many anyway, lots of other vehicles. The Impala is Ray's, he used to be the forklift driver for Spaldings back when I worked there. Had a sweet 720 bozo truck, and some nice Skylines, one with a turbo as big as my head!

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:05 pm

So I kinda want this: https://rawbrokerage.com/products/halte ... 6-ht055101

There is this also, which would require another used ECU. But much cheaper. And wouldn't be a bad idea considering they probably fix a lot of problems with used ECUs when they get them, just like Mines. But they're in Cali, not JP. I would imagine the turnaround time is much better.

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/r ... gI2f_D_BwE

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:12 pm

You have expensive tastes.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Yes, yes I do! :D But yet, it's just an old Datsun......just think, I could have bought a brand NEW car!! And gone fast. But that just isn't my style.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:51 pm

It's not my style either, I have only owned one new vehicle in my life and that was a Kawasaki KH400 motorcycle that I bought when I was maybe 17 years old, I have never owned anything made after 1986 except maybe the Mini I own, it is titled as a 1976, but 1989 parts fit it(front brakes), so I am assuming it was made between 1989 and 1992, it looks like one from that era, I bought it from a police officer so I don't care.
I would ruin a new car in no time, the only reason the Mini is not ruined is because I never drive it.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Yeah, the main reason I want the upgraded ecu is so I can tune it exactly and have it have better correction for conditions. Theoretically the stock system should be good since I have a new wiring harness, but the stock ecu is 30+ years old. A nice new one that could be interfaced with would be a welcome upgrade.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:59 pm

If I go aftermarket ECU, I will go with a LINK brand one.

But for now, its Nistune.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:22 am

Booooo!! The link ECU doesn't support RB20DET! Only the later and the regular non turbo RB20. I might send them an email to see if they have a plug and play unit that works.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:07 pm

A little console action tonight. Got the radiator flushed again today (brown rust water, bleh), re-did the rear driveshaft flange and re-seated the u joint. Much nicer now. Put the new factory blow off valve on. And here's some center console preparation. Drywall mesh tape stuck on first, then coated with 08115 3m panel bonding adhesive. Should make a pretty bulletproof console. Then have to paint. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Free kitty returned from 1-2 year hiatus with probably worse cancer in her eye, but kitteh don't care! Nice to have her back, I started feeding her again.

EDIT: 8115 takes FOREVER TO CURE! Full 24 hours, and longer if below 73 degrees. However, there is an on demand heat cure with this product. My body man said be careful of too much heat, it might peel. Took the regular hair blow dryer to it just now, that seems to have done the trick. I'll let it cure more for today before I go about painting it, but after 9 hours curing this morning, it was still super wet until I hit it with heat.

ALSO, note the block of wood with holes and two different dowel lengths. This cartridge requires the special applicator gun. Or, if you don't want to spend 50 bucks on a special gun, make an adapter block for a regular caulking gun. My old NAPA parts guy told me that. Worked like a charm! The two different dowels are because you have to use the short dowels initially to get more space to insert said dowels, then longer ones to get all the product you want out.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:18 pm

flatcat19

Post by flatcat19 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I have a 6 second video of Matt laying down his landing strip but don't know how to upload it to here from my phone.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm

That motorcycle has a wide tire.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

flatcat19

Post by flatcat19 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:31 pm

There was a stubby bit of rubber left from the other tire. That strip though was a tad impressive though.

Got a few 100mph runs up and down I-90 with the girl.
Well done, Matt.