Advice on Aftermarket Universal Chassis Harness

Dimester

Advice on Aftermarket Universal Chassis Harness

Post by Dimester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 am

Hey Guys,

Because of an ongoing demonic possession of my car's electrical system, I was fucked out of enjoying the car this summer. My crusty old stock harness has absorbed a great deal of negative spiritual energy over it's 40 years of unhealthy service life. While getting the ignition, gauges, and chassis lights hooked up, I've run into countless apparitions and unexplained supernatural phenomenons. It's time for a bumper to bumper exorcism, but I will be the first to admit, I am not a qualified exorcist, and because of this, I know I've contributed to this car's spiritual demise. My brothers, if there's anyone among you with experience in cleansing unwanted paranormal electrical activity, please step forward.

I have an SR swapped 72, 510 with a Wiring Specialties engine and lower harness. The rest of the car's chassis is still running off the thrashed stock 510 harness. In all reality I am using only a small portion of the stock wiring. The entire dash is custom built and the only stock switches I'm still using are Brake Lights, Turn Signals/High Beam, Head lights, and Wiper. Although everything else has been built with good to high end aftermarket components, things like secondary fuses and relays for fan, fuel pumps, etc are scattered throughout the car.

The electrical system has been worked on by me, a good buddy, and three different shops, so at this point, I've lost all confidence in this demonically disjointed rat's nest. Therefore I'm faced with a decision. Do I stick with the old harness and invest more time and psychic energy into really cleansing it? (Yes, I think it's sole is salvageable). Should I start over with another stock harness? Or, should I swap it's sole with the devil and start over with a Painless Universal Chassis Harness like this? $500 http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/10309.pdf As I see it, with an aftermarket harness like this I can clean up and simplify my wiring while consolidating all the fuses and relays in one location, and (if it's done right) I will have a much more reliable electrical system. The obvious down side is the cost and in all honesty, I am loosing my vision, and without the ability to see everything, I am electrically challenged.

I could really use some advice here... and some kick ass holy water.
I'm AKA Paradime on Rat and RonM on Realm.

izzo
Site Admin
Title: Save a pimp, Rent a bitch.
Cars: Too many

Re: Advice on Aftermarket Universal Chassis Harness

Post by izzo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am

I'd swap out the harness for another 510 harness. While it's out, get a 510 diagram check all connections, clean it up real good.
8========D ~~~ ( o Y o )
jayden71: titty ponk
devilsbullet wrote: 1400 obo. and best offer doesn't mean 300 bucks you cheap bastards

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:11 am

I have not replaced my own harness but have done a few for customers.

Ron Francis' kits are awesome.

Also knowing that the 510 is bare bones as it comes, the Francis harnesses may be a bit overkill.

On eBay there is a company selling harnesses. EZ2Wire I believe. Good reviews. Low price.

I would also consider getting a relay gang block or two while redoing the whole thing.
http://www.haywireinc.com/index.cfm/pag ... prd167.htm

Doing your homework and proper planning will make this job an easy one.
Don't get stressed about electrical. Simple stuff.

Dimester

Post by Dimester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Much appreciated guys. I have a good working knowledge of electrical work. It's my vision shit that makes it sketchy. Poor low light vision, and color blindness in blue, green, and purple areas can be a bitch. I'm hoping to find the clearest, most straight forward approach.
I'm AKA Paradime on Rat and RonM on Realm.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Dimester wrote:Much appreciated guys. I have a good working knowledge of electrical work. It's my vision shit that makes it sketchy. Poor low light vision, and color blindness in blue, green, and purple areas can be a bitch. I'm hoping to find the clearest, most straight forward approach.
Most of these universal wiring kits are GM color coded, but also are labeled every few inches.

As I said earlier-planning is the key to success with wiring this up with no hitch.
Don't just toss the harness in the car and go to work.
Your first step in wiring will be to lay it all out in the living room and sending all wires to 4 corners.
Tape chunks together that will go in the same direction.

Looking forwatd to see which route you go.

:fyea: