Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm

That sucks. Hopefully they bounce back.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:44 pm

I hope the watermelon plants make it and the Watermelons of size continue to grow and ripen, next year I will get the Watermelons in earlier, the Corn and Pumpkins oh well, everything else is fine.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:06 pm

This is what the pumpkins look like now, the ones that had the leaves get blown off only turned Orange, they didn't grow anymore.

This is what I got from that late corn planting, I think I ate 2 earlier, I believe I ate one carrot already and I ate half of this one and have 3 maybe 4 more.

I already had one Watermelon also, it was not very big, I am letting the other ones alone for now.

I need to plant the corn and Watermelons earlier next year.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Well things have slowed down work wise, I was working on the Datsun U320 but I got this huge telescope and have been messing around with it lately, one of the cats got in it and walked around on the primary/main mirror(it's worth more than I bought the telescope for), it appears that it didn't scratch it with its claws but I had to clean it, keep in mind that you cannot even brush the mirror off with anything as it will scratch it, even a paper towel will scratch it, I pulled the mirror out, cleaned the sink, put a cookie cooler rack in the sink and set the 14.5 inch round mirror on it, the mirror is 2 inches thick and weighs a lot, I start soaking it with luke warm water right out of the faucet, I slowed the water down to a small stream and I then poured some dish washing soap on it and started lightly brushing it with my fingers, I rinsed it and did it again, while it was soaking in the sink I placed a clean towel next to the sink, I then poured all the water out of the con caved mirror and rinsed it off with distilled water, then placed in on the towel on its edge leaning against the paper towel/rack and I used compressed air to remove all the left over moisture, I laid it flat on the towel and let it dry some more, I looked at the mirror holder trying to determine why I had to shim one corner to align the primary mirror with the secondary mirror to no avail, I then put it all back together using the shim, the mirror holder is 3 legged and the mirror itself is held on the rack with 4 fingers with a rubber type covering, the rack has 4 nylon screws to hold the mirror in the center, so there is no stress on the mirror from the shim.

You can see how dirty the mirror was in this photo.

Now I am on the hunt for a couple good eyepieces, everything I want is on back order, I have looked at the moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars so far with my crappy small eyepieces using an adapter, I have had better views of the moon and all the mentioned planets than I have had with the other telescopes, but Mars is going to be tough, it is so bright that the glare is awful, I figured out last night if I used the moon filter I could see it better, so on top of needing better eyepieces I need filters also, the good deals on eyepieces are all on back order, but I need them to know what filters I need, and really good eyepieces are $400.00(cheap) to just under a $1000.00 for top of the line, I am trying to find good ones on sale for $250.00 to $300.00, I only need two good ones I think, I need a 2" Barlow lens(doubles magnification) so it is like having 4 good eyepieces, and then I need some filters to fit the eyepieces, Mars is so bright I put a towel over half the aperture(end of the telescope) and I still need a filter to stop the glare, I am hoping to see ice caps on the poles of Mars some day when I learn how to use this monster telescope, photos do not do it justice, the telescope is slightly taller than me and way fatter.