Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 pm

My first thought on the yellow one is Holley carb jet tool.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:01 pm

I searched "perfect parts T-85" and came up with nothing, the other tool holding the screw was so worn that most of the identification letters/numbers were worn off.
Them tools are in my dads tool box, every once in a while I organize that tool box and find more stuff that I have not a clue what it is for, there are lots of good tools in that tool box for brakes and other stuff that I don't know how to use even though I know it is for brakes.

Holley carbs were a big thing back when my dad worked on vehicles back in the 60s thru the early 80s, bolt on HP/performance.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:31 pm

The earlier Holleys used 4 flathead screws to hold on the bowl and the jets are screwed into the metering block behind it. The newer ones use 5/16(?) head bolts instead of screws.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:13 pm

The center caps came today for the Mini.

It appears that they fit, but it was not easy getting it in there.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:51 am

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/mystery-hand-tool/

"It is a carburetor jet or valve and seat remover. T-85 is a Carter Carburetor tool number but this is not a Carter Carburetor tool. The side with the 2 prongs fit in to the recess of a slotted jet or valve and seat. The other side removes a plug or the other side of the valve and seat. "

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks Jacob :thumbs:
I guess I have just used a screw driver the very few times I have ever removed a jet in a carburetor, in the 60s my dad gave me a carb a few times to take apart and then put back together when I was a kid, I don't recall him ever giving me anything except basic tools, the only thing I could not figure out on the first carb was where these 2 extra springs went, and they turned out to be the springs for the idle and fuel mixture adjustment screws on the outside of the carb, these were quadrajet carburetors I was working with.
I put these tools in the bottom drawer in this box of tools I will likely never use but don't want to throw away, he had lots of tools made for one thing like wrenches bent to loosen a nut that could not be loosened easily with any other tool.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 pm

So today I decided to replace the cover on the side of the house again before it starts really raining, this last tarp didn't last long, it took me just over 7hrs to do everything.
This time I used this corrugated metal I got over 10/20 years ago, I didn't really want to use it because it is heavy, I thought about using that clear plastic corrugated stuff but I worried snow could collapse it without underside braces, so I went with the corrugated stuff, I installed it using screws, a lot of screws, like every 6 or less inches on both ends, I came up a foot short and had to use scraps to finish it, I no longer have anymore of this stuff and what is left can be used to keep the rain off my firewood when I stack it against the house.
I didn't try to walk in the middle but I did walk on the edge where it rests on the fence that I connected/mounted it to as I had to cut a couple feet off hanging out past the fence, they are the scraps I can use to cover the firewood, I connected it to the house face board bottom edge that normally the gutter would be connected to, I put the back edge about 6 inches towards the house so rain water would not get in that end, I may use expanding foam if it leaks in that area because of wind blowing rain water uphill.
I did all this because my Roadster was getting wet, it didn't even want to start as the inside of the distributor was wet also from everything being damp, I am very happy I attacked this today, it was dry and it is hard to say how much stuff could have rusted being damp all the time.

It's supposed to start raining tonight and i am hoping it will be dry in there in the morning, this galvanized metal was starting to rust itself being set on its edge in the same spot under a tree for years if not decades, it is now gone/used and another thing I will not think about anymore.
I likely will die before I have to deal with this again, I just don't see this moving even during a storm, it is around 32 feet long and likely has 200 screws holding it on on each side, that is 400 holes I drilled and put screws in, I might look into bracing the underside tomorrow so I can walk on it if I want to, the reason it had so many holes in it was because not a very good material and the cats were walking on it and falling thru, I built this top last time to keep the cats out, hope it works better this time, I will take more photos tomorrow when it is light outside.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 pm

These arrived today and I didn't even know it till I seen my emails that said they had been delivered.

It came with a bag also.

The 1/4" drive came separate, I am having an issue though, here it what I wrote/messaged the seller below.

I received this item above today and read about the charging procedure, when I put the battery into the charger it did nothing, so I started moving the battery around and removing and inserting and still nothing, I then pulled the battery forward towards me like the charger was mounted on a wall and the charge light started blinking red/green, red/green which claims that the battery is damaged or faulty, so since this is a new battery and it being damaged/faulty seemed unlikely I started pulling the battery towards me slightly harder and sideways both ways and the charge light finally came on and stayed on as long as I held it that way, but the moment I let go it either blinks red/green over and over or it goes dark, I figured out if I insert a small screw driver in it just right like in the attached photo I can keep it charging, but this seems stupid to me as it should just work properly since it is new, you have any suggestions, is there a trick to making it work properly without using a screw driver?

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:33 am

I sent a message to the seller of the Milwaukee tools I bought and he is going to send a new charger, I don't know if that is the issue or if it is the battery that is the issue, but one has to start somewhere.
I have another tool package coming with a couple batteries, charger and tool but it is not here yet, I would have a better idea what the issue was if it was here, I hope this is not a common problem.

I took a few more photos of my cave this morning, it was dry inside but it may sweat on the bottom side as it was damp, I never thought about it sweating and getting things wet.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:47 pm

I raised this TommyGate up so I can use it as a table since I am not getting many inquiries from Craigslist, most want to know if it will fit a 720 box and it won't as it is made for a full size truck or a small dually truck with a flatbed, I thought it would be something I could sell easily, but I guess not. :lol:

I have a question, my welding helmet fogs up something awful from my breathing and then I cannot see, it happens fast, what do you guys do to keep that from happening?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 pm

I weld inside :rofl: .

I'm surprised that liftgate hasn't sold. Maybe hit it with the wire wheel and a fresh can of black paint, raise the price to $500? Shiny sells.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:33 pm

I use flux-core wire, if I weld inside it gets on the paint/glass of the vehicles in the garage, I would have to pull the vehicles out of the garage to stop that from happening, so I just weld outside except for small stuff i can do on the bench like the turbo manifolds/piping I made.
I will just use it as a bench for now, but keep it on craigslist, I really don't have a lot of room in the garage.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am

I received this today, this tool is a 1/4" right angle hex impact driver like my Dewalt hex impact drivers except the are not the right angle type.

On my last post about this subject I mentioned an issue with charging, well it turned out I was not pressing the battery down hard enough, I would drop the battery in like I do my Dewalt 18V batteries and either nothing happened or it would flash red/green, these other batteries did the same thing on a different charger, I don't know what made me press down harder on the battery but it went all the way down and all is good, I have to press down really hard and fast as if I don't it starts flashing red/green and I have to remove the battery from the charger to get it out of that mode.

This is likely all I am going to buy right now except for possibly batteries, but right now I have 3 tools and 3 batteries so I will just use them and see if I like them.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 pm

I know this likely is for compressing some kind of valve spring, has anyone here seen one of these before,ever used one, it has no part number, it is made by Zim Manufacturing Co Chicago.
I just noticed the forks that are supposed to compress the spring are adjustable for larger springs.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Might be a valve spring compressor for flathead type engines?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Agreed.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:21 pm

That would be the era my dad started working on automobiles for a living, from the early 50s thru the mid 80s, over 30 years, closer to 40 years if you count working on them in the military.
I have a few useless tools in my dads tool box.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:16 pm

I decided I needed more drawers for tools, probably paid too much($150.00) for this set of tool boxes, but it had a lot of drawers and all the other ones on Craigslist were hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

The only issue was the keys were broke off in both locks, but with a little effort I got the ends out of the locks, I will go to a key place and have a couple keys made, they have the same number stamped into the face if the lock.

I will likely start sorting the tools tomorrow, I was thinking metric in one and SAE in the other, but have not decided for sure yet, this should make it so it is not a hassle to get drawers closed anymore because of being too full.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:57 am

Seems like a fair enough price. They were a lot more than that new and those look to be in decent shape.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:39 am

All the drawers slide smoothly when opened, but they are empty.
Most of the drawers also have a thin or semi thin foam type material in the bottom of the drawers except for the top 3 small drawers at the top, my dads tool box has cardboard in the bottom of all the drawers although it is almost completely black now, I will likely use cardboard also as I have plenty of boxes around here.