Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 pm

Wild man!
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 pm

So after looking at my lights for the last week I decided that the 3 clear strings with the C9 bulbs are too bright, they take away from the other types of lights, so I unplugged them tonight to see what it looked like without them.

Without the C9 lights plugged in.

Here it is with them on, I guess I never took a photo with lights around the windows.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I agree, better without them.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:50 pm

I was going to stop and buy 5 different colored boxes of lights(white-blue-yellow-green-red), but when I took the exit off the freeway to my house 5th gear started making noise and it made noise at an idle also, so I drove straight home.
I will play with the lights when I get the work truck fixed, I got only 9 months out of it this time before something major broke.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

OK, I finally got around to buying different colored blubs and installing the, I went with red, white, blue, yellow/orange, green, I like it the best this way.

I also set up my extra wood stove in my partially enclosed patio(one end is open), I did this to make a waste oil burner, I already burned oil in it today, but I squirted it in today to see if it would work, it worked great and got plenty hot, I need to make heat sheilds for it now, I also I need to make a drip setup for it.
I did this because I have near 50 gallons of waste oil around here, I bet I could keep it going most the winter if I wanted to, but I will not let it run if I am not here.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Pics of the stove when you get it all set up. That's a cool idea.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm

The wind blew part of my fence over last night, turned out the dirt had gathered around the bases of my posts and rotted 2 of them, so being I did not want to dig any holes today I set 3 sections to the side, then I cleared all the dirt away from the cement bases, then I took a screwdriver and removed the rotten wood out of the square holes in the cement down around 4/5 inches, then I put the posts back into the holes and hammered them in with a sledge, they both went in the whole 4/5 inches, then I put it back together, I didn't quite get the 2X4 holders the right height on one of the posts, but it is good enough for now till I replace the posts, probably will wait for them to fall over again before I do that. :lol:

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Sounds like a simple solution.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I suppose if I had kept digging at the wood in the hole i could have got down a foot, but the deeper I went the better the wood was the less it wanted to come out, I guess I could have used a wood drill bit on it but it is a temporary fix till I feel like working on it, I have other stuff I want to do right now.
I got all the parts to make the drip system today for the stove, I might work on that in a little while or do it tomorrow.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:15 pm

I made the drip system 3/4 hours ago and got it going, but I suspect the tubing/valve I bought is not large enough, it already went out once, I added more oil and the valve is wide open, i got it going real good right now, we shall see if it goes out again.

Keep in mind that I am still at the test stage, if I can get it to work properly I will do more permenate stuff like heat sheilds instead of truck cab tops, it is all I have around right now.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 pm

OK, so I spent over $50.00 on copper pipe and valves/fittings to try and get this to work, I have been using a small frying pan as a burn platter, with the valve wide open it burns the oil faster than it drips out, so I put a small 4 inch metal cup in the middle of the frying pan and started it again, it does keep up now but it is not enough oil to make much heat.
So tomorrow I will go to the hardware store again and spend more money and buy a larger valve and larger pipe and try again, I thought about just putting another pipe the same size but decided to go bigger so I can really dump oil in there and make real heat.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 am

Before you spend the money on larger pipe and fittings, check your valve. There are basically 2 types, what is called a reduced port and a full port. The reduced port is only about 2/3rd the size of the pipe and is usually the “economy” valve. The full port is full pipe size and will flow more. If yours is the reduced port, the full port may do the trick without buying bigger pipe.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:01 am

I wonder if there is a simple way to pressurize it. My oil burner had a pump to lift the oil out of the tank up to the furnace but used shop air to atomize it through the burner. I'm thinking a sealed oil tank and maybe a HD aquarium pump pressurizing the air pocket above the oil? Probably wouldn't take a whole lot of pressure to move oil faster through the same lines and valve versus just gravity feed.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 am

The copper pipe/tubing is 3/16ths on the outside, the fittings are the same, at first I looked at 1/8th inch tubing/pipe and right away thought it was too small, my thinking was oil dripping out of the tube end as that was what I read on another guys thread about this, but what I did not think about was how big the drip is/was, my drips are small comong out of that small tube, a bigger tube would have a bigger drip.
1 drip a second was what I read, when it was hot I had at least 2 drips a second and sometimes it poured out as a stream, but it was a very little amount and it would catch fire on the way down, fact is the tube end was on fire also a lot of the time, I need more oil coming out and the easiest way for me to acheive that is bigger valve and tube/pipe, it is also the simplest, I am trying to keep this simple as possible, less stuff to go wrong.

I received this giant box yesterday, it sat around all day while I was doing stuff and I could not think of what I bought tht would need such a big box, well I opened it and there was a small box inside, in the small box was my 521 throttle cable I ordered.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Well I used a 1/4 inch copper tube this time with a 1/4 inch ball valve, I goofed and forgot to clean and open up the ends of the tube when they were spit with a tube cutter which makes the hole smaller, I will take it apart again and fix that.
With the valve half way open it burns just fine, it doesn't appear to get much better with the valve all the way open which might be because of the ends I mentioned, right now I cannot get it so hot it scares me and that may be a good thing as it means I cannot accidently open it up too far, we shall see what happens when I open up the ends.
I suspect if my patio was not open to the air on one end(legal reasons), it would likely heat up that area fairly well, my plan was to have a fan pointed at it towards the closed end of the patio, that will likely warm it up in there a little.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:31 pm

So I fixed the ends of the tubes, it's kinda entertaining how I did it, first I shut off the feed and I removed the flexible tubing from the copper tube up near the valve, I took my step drill bit and opened the end up and then put it back together and turned the valve on again for a little while.
Next I turned the valve off again and let it stop feeding the frying pan, then with work gloves on I removed the frying pan from the stove and put it on top of the stove to keep it warm, then I reached in the stove and bent the copper tube enough to get the step drill bit in the tube to clean it/open it up, I then bent it back into position and put the flaming frying pan back in the stove and turned the valve on again.
It really didn't make any difference, but I think if this was in my garage it would be toasty in there, the level of the oil is dropping now when before it didn't change over a period of 2 hours.
I might just make a second bucket and put the small copper pipe/valve I had in it before and install it right next to the one in there now, I have other oils that I know are clean like old diesel and veggie oil, I could use that system as a turbo-boost, but the way it is now it appears that it cannot get out of control, the point of this is to burn all that oil around here up as they will not take it because it is not in the proper container, they want it in milk jugs, but all I have is fruit juice jugs, I do not buy milk in gallons, and they just drive right by.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 pm

I am burning a couple gallons a day now and I let it go out at night, it is very predictable and I will keep letting it go out till it gets really cold out, then I might burn all night.
I found my first jug with some water in it, the stove did not go out, but it sure made a lot of noise as that frying pan is very hot.
I did drill another hole in the stove for the smaller line, I set up a clean bucket that I put old diesel fuel in, I will not put used oil in this one, right now I just open it up and let a little diesel go in the frying pan along with the old waste oil, it sure starts easy with that diesel in there, I suspect the diesel will last me a month or more as I only use it for a few minutes, I turned the diesel bucket on a couple time when the stove was hot and the diesel doesn't even get out of the copper tube as a liquid, it comes out as a vapor like a butane lighter but with more force like a flame thrower.
I cleaned a lot of the garage today, made new shelves, moved stuff around, I have more room now, and have empty shelves that I am going to try not to fill, need to clean the work bench now.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:11 am

When you're done in your garage why don't you come over and tackle mine.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am

I have a lot of shit that you got rid of when you moved, I only have collected all this stuff in the last 20 years since buying the house.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

I was having an issue with the right speakers, so I started fiddling with the Sansui stereo and the tuner light quit working(bummer), I was not able to get the right channel on the unit to clear up so I wired both speakers to the left side(no more stereo effect), and since I have not changed what station it has been on for years it is good enough for me, when it stops working completely I have a portable boom box from the yesteryear era I can use.