Jacob's goon build

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Jacob's goon build

Post by Laecaon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm

DRIVEN wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm
Now get to work. This site has a depressing lack of 510 wagons.

Took a moment, go look at my house thread.

Anyways, Lets do some work. For the past week I have been working on the exhaust. Right now I am waiting on the hangers to come in, ordered Sunday and only shipped out today...

Now remember, this is all 304 Stainless Steel. I thought I couldnt weld it easily. But then I stumbled across a stainless flux core wire on Amazon. My plan is to only tack it together so I can mock it up, then take it to work for TIG welding goodness.

Here is the current state of things. The pipe coming from the right is the same pipe I have had in the car for like the last 2 years, so that part is old, but then you see 3 new pieces added on. Little straight pipe is angled. It makes a 11 degree angle. Then a nice 45 up, and another 45 over the axle.

Paper templates that you can just print are nice. This is a 5 degree angle (right side high if you couldnt tell).

From the back, the exhaust is hanging a tad low here.

And I ran out of steam today. But its just about perfect. Need to just make a couple more tweaks.

But here you can see where the muffler is going. From what is above, its straight into the muffler, then just a 45 down and out the back of the car.

What I think I like most about this, there is no bend greater than 45 degrees in the whole exhaust. And its all 2.5" mandrel bent.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Jacob's goon build

Post by Laecaon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:53 pm

Ok, I nearly finished the exhaust Saturday, but wanted to hold off until I actually had it done(ish).

So from the picture above, I perfected the angle on the straight piece into the muffler. As well as figured out how to hold the muffler into location.

And here it is all tacked together. I have 2 of the 3 mounts in, and its fully hanging by itself in the car.

Here you can see clearance for the muffler... and the Rivenuts I placed in the perfectly placed cross flange...

Here are the mounts that keep the rear located, the ugly weld... well its not fun welding under a car, its flux core, it kept welding to the bracket and not the pipe, and apparently this flux core wants the polarity backwards... which I didnt catch...

And tonight I was in the "just get it done" mood. So I busted out the last mount. Its kinda ugly. I didnt like the metal I had on hand. But meh. But now the muffler doesnt wiggle, which means the exhaust tip/end (Im not putting a "tip" on it) wont wiggle around. That always looks so awful on cars.

Out of the car, from the Downpipe Vband to the Muffler. Time to take it to work for full weld.

And loaded into the X5.

I do try and make my welders life easy, the biggest gap in all of the miter joints was this big.