My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

wayno

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 am

I just tried editing my post to add a photo, I picked one photo and opened it, I waited over 15 minutes for the status bar to do anything other than what had happened right away(had a sliver of blue in the light gray), nothing happened.
Like I said, the issue likely is that I have an outdated browser, and if I try upgrading it will over heat the computer and it will crash.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

Posting pictures by hosting elsewhere still works and is probably better long term (I will probably have to lock down sharing photos from here). I can also try to get the postimage sharer working again.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

I preferred Postimage to what we have now.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm

I completely forgot I had a Postimage acct, I could not remember my password or anything else about it, so I tried signing in under my email address and then asked for a password retrieval, I am in now.
Unfortunately I have the same issue, it will not upload images from my computer to the Postimage site, I expect for the same reason that I cannot attach photos using the full editor here.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:36 pm

I have no idea if this postimage will work or not, it would not load the image the normal way so I dragged the photo from my photos to the reply field. 0.8 MB DSC00087.JPG Check Error

Didn't work

I went to Blue Lake today with the truck, most the day was great, then this guy came up to me that I have seen before in the past, as I recall I went to his house and looked at his truck a few years ago(he said 6 years ago), anyway I have seen him since then without any issues, well today he wanted to talk to me alone and we went out away from the crowd, he then started accusing me of stealing parts off his 720 truck, he said he had it on a video, I kept asking what parts and he said I used a pocket knife to steal a part, I told him I don't carry a pocket knife and asked again what part I stole, I never did get an answer to that question, I then started saying I didn't steal anything from him over and over, I got real concerned when he started acting aggressive so I started walking towards the crowd during the awards part while saying we could talk over there as I wanted witnesses by then, things went down hill after that, he said something about breaking my windows in my truck and a few people gathered around me.
He kept accusing me of stealing parts off his 720 and kept saying it was on video while walking away, I regret saying to post the video online, as he came back, at some point I quit saying anything and waited for him to leave while he ranted the whole time, he finally walked away saying I stole parts from him, then he walked back by a ways away and walked straight to my truck and he looked inside my cab then he walked away(I am 10 cars away), he walked towards the east of the parking area and then ended back 2 cars away from my truck again.
At some point another guy walked away with him and talked with him for a while, he came back and said the guy said I stole the center caps off his truck, he also said I stole a decorative piece off the arm rest that hides the screw holding the armrest on, that is how I found out what pieces he said I stole.
I moved my truck closer to where I was as I was afraid the guy would vandalize it, by that time the show was over and people were leaving so I left as I felt uncomfortable, normally I am one of the last to leave.
It was a great show to the point where that guy showed up, from what I gather others have had issues with this guy in the past at Canby, but I didn't know this when I went and looked at his truck several years ago, he seemed like a nice guy until today.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Wow. You're probably about the last person on earth I'd worry about stealing from me. I guess you have plenty of witnesses if he follows through with any of his threats.
Are you not naming names to be the bigger man or just don't remember who he is?
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Fact is I do not remember his name, he is the one that claimed the overnight campers at Canby had drugged him, he even mentioned that fact right there in front of maybe 4 people, Darren, Josh, and a couple others standing there, I cannot remember who he was talking to when he said that, I believe that he said something about breaking my windows and Darren??? told him it's not going to happen here, it might have been the big guy that said that, someone also said something about the police and having him kicked out of the park, things were not going good at all.
Fact is I do not remember minute for minute how things went now, I was stunned that it was happening to me.
I have parts for sale on Craigslist and I am now thinking I don't want strangers coming to my house anymore.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Yea, Josh told me about it.

Josh said it seemed the guy was on something. Also a rather large individual. And that the ordeal lasted about 30 minutes.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 am

Crazy times.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:51 pm

I worked on this all day, I was having cooling issues last summer when it was hot out, the modified 521 radiator just is not big enough with the turbocharger, so yesterday someone made me start thinking about what radiators I had and I remembered I had the Volvo SD25 diesel radiator in the shed, I went and measured it, it might fit I thought, so this morning I put the front half the the 521 kingcab in the garage and tore into it, with a little more hammering it is in the truck.
It is mounted on the bottom with rubber lined cradles, and the top has rubber lined brackets, it just fits in there.
It is a cross flow radiator and has no radiator filler cap, I ordered a radiator hose inline filler, it is supposed to be here tomorrow, but I got it filled the hard way, I have not drove it on the roads yet, but it idled in the driveway for an hour or more.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 pm

I did no permenate cutting on the core support as I was worried that I could not reverse it if something did not work out, I will drive it for a while and decide if I want to move the radiator forward an inch on top and remove that gap in the last photo, I coud also open the front up to more air if I remove/cut out some of the sheet metal, as I have around 3/4 inches on each side I may not need anymore, most of it was for structural strength for the radiator, as it does weigh a little more than it looks like it weighs.
I also need to decide what I am going to do with the top radiator mounts, they stick out a little ways, I could cut them off or leave them as the hood closes just fine the way they are, but I could cut a "V" in the bottom side and bend them down against the core support and weld them to make them look like they belong there, but if I decide to cut metal out and move the radiator top forward, you can see the other mount holes in the brackets, then it would look goofy, but I also could just find another Volvo and get another set of brackets also, there are 2 of them in both the Foster road pick and pull and the Sherwood yard also, it would be a reason to see if the radiator outlets are the same also, as I noticed a very slow leak in this radiator, it doesn't drip, it just stays moist in one spot, this radiator is not ever going to have pressure in it to force the coolant out, that is what the reservoir is for, contraction/expansion reservoir, although I might look for a smaller reservoir, my B210 one will not fit anymore so I temporarly crammed the one in the photo in, it is too big and I do not like the way it looks, I have a spot for one over and slightly back from the brake/clutch masters on the shelf.
If you look at page one you can see the way it was with the turbo installed and the 521 radiator/B210 radiator reservoir, that was nice but it ran slightly warmer than I liked when it was hot out when on the freeway, the coolant temps would just start creeping up higher and higher till I got concerned and let off the pedal for a while.
It just occured to me that I now have to specify which temp I am talking about, EGTs or coolant temps, they are both important but for different reasons.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:47 am

Might not be a bad idea to sandwich some foam on the sides and fab up some sort of top plate to keep the air from being able to go around at highway speeds.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 am

It's fairly tight up there but your right, it never occured to me that the air could get by without going thru the radiator.
I am likely going to drive it today to see what the coolant temps do, but a top plate will be easy to make, I will think about it while I wait for the radiator hose inline filler.
It's too tight on the sides to do much of anything, maybe foam will fix that but getting my hands down there to put the foam in place is going to be an issue, I cannot even get my forearm/hands down/in the passenger side area, but if I take the grill off I might be able to get in from that area/front side(just thought of that).
The upper radiator hose gets warm so there is enough water in the system to test drive it, what I did was fill it up using the upper radiator hose, once filled that way I connected the hose to the block, then I used the B210 coolant reservoir clamped to the hood to get the rest of the air out, it was bubbling for a long time, now to get the rest of the air out I need to drive it and depend on coolant expansion to force the rest of the air out into the reservoir, even with the radiator hose inline filler the top couple inches of the radiator is not going to get filled, the air will be replace with coolant once the coolant cools, pulling the coolant needed in from the reservoir.
Time to get moving again, washing and other such tasks.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

I went to the PNP today, I found another set of upper radiator brackets, the holes are in different places but will still work for what I need them for if ever use them at all, $6 something for both of them, I hunted around but could not find a better coolant reservoir, they are all too tall, or are too big, the auto parts store ones were too large also.
So I did drive this truck to the PNP, it ran cooler than it ever has before, it is cool outside, but the temp needle never got up to half way when normally in the past normal has been half way up all the time.
While running around Baxters called and said my radiator hose inline filler was in, I picked it up and installed it, I flushed the system out but ran into an issue, this radiator has no drain valve/plug, so after flushing it I could not empty the radiator, and the lower hose is impossible to get to, I had to install the hose before installing the radiator, so I started the engine with the flush line on the ground hoping the water pump would pump out at least half the water, well it didn't work, I tried sifoning the radiator with the upper hose off with a small line inserted in the tank thru the hose outlet/inlet, that did not work either, so I hoped for the best and added the antifreeze, I only got a little more than a half gallon in, I tried a few things and got another 1/4 gallon in and finally gave up, I checked it and only got 2 balls to float, that is good for +5 degrees above zero, it will have to do as the only way to get more in would be to open the flush fitting and pump some more mixed coolant out, although now that I think about it I could catch it and reuse it in one of my other trucks to top them off.
When ever I drive this truck it gets a lot of attention, they always ask about the stepside box, they hardly ever ask about it being a kingcab, today I decided I need another gear, maybe an overdrive unit, it has the power on the freeway to be able to use another gear, but I don't think it could get 2.73 rearend gears started, I believe I need a gear vendors overdrive or a 6th gear which likely would be my 5th gear so chasing a 6 speed would likely be a waste of time, a gear vendors overdrive unit would liely be the easiest.
So here are a couple photos, I made a top plate for the center only for now.

And here is the radiator hose inline filler.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Gearvendors are usually pretty pricey, good reputation though. Maybe you could modify a Laycock (more Volvo parts) like this.
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/mccoy/od.htm

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 pm

DRIVEN wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 pm
Gearvendors are usually pretty pricey, good reputation though. Maybe you could modify a Laycock (more Volvo parts) like this.
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/mccoy/od.htm

I have looked at a few of them(one in link below), but they are not divorced units like the one in that link, if I knew how to do that I likely would just buy one, but that is not something I can do myself, it appears that it could replace my front section of my 2 piece driveline with a OD unit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Spitfi ... :rk:3:pf:0
I would really like another gear beyond the 5th I have, going with the flow on the freeway today I was near 3000rpms, I have had it higher for hours on end, but it starting to sound over revved to me anymore, I would like it to be 2500rpms or less and it has the HP to do it now, but the fact is I do not drive on the freeway for hours on end anymore, so unless I can find something reasonable it's just going to stay on my wish list.
Fact is if I were to buy that unit in the link above I would not even know where to go to pay someone to put an adapter on the front of that unit.
I have a transfer case in the shed that has an adapter making it divorced transfer case for a rock crawler setup, but that doesn't help me with my situation, I need lower RPMs not slower speeds.

Where is that image located, in a thread somewhere, can you give me a link to that thread?

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:37 am

The homepage is linked at the bottom. I just found it doing an image search. Looks like those Laycock overdrives are somewhat common for retrofitting. If you pulled a complete Volvo transmission with overdrive on a 50% day it'd probably come in around $100. Counter idiots can't tell the difference between it and a regular transmission. Might be able to use the transmission tailshaft to machine an adapter. I don't know, just thinking out loud.
Looks like these guys use Laycocks too. http://maximum--overdrive.com

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 am

That remote unit looks like something I could deal with, but it has call for pricing. :cry:

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:21 pm

OK, I called that place and talked with the guy, it has a 28 percent drop in rpms which equals around 400 rpms, I actually said I wasn't sure how to ask about the rpm drop, but he came back with that guess right away.
The price was $1960.00 for the remote unit(divorced), it's $295.00 for the overdrive control kit, and $140.00 for the deep sump, plus shipping.
I will still have to have a short driveline made, the unit is 28 inches long so I would also have to have a rear driveline made as it is 21 inches to the carrier flange.
I think I will try larger/taller tires first, this truck is not a low rider so I can go with larger/taller tires, I have a set already mounted but they are on aftermarket rims and the front wheels will stick out past the fenders too far, I will look into the tires tomorrow, I have a couple more sets in the shed, I have P195s on it right now.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 pm

What is the rear ratio now?