Around Waynos house

DRIVEN

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by DRIVEN » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Looks really well sorted. I'm hoping to get a garden in this year as well but it won't be anything close to that nice. Nice work!
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I have 11 different stand alone systems in my back yard, but many of them only need to be on a minute or two.

I spent most the day finishing up my watering system, I may do one more big job, making a runner along the side of the garden with the full length with outlets near every row, get rid of all the hoses everywhere.
The point of all this is to only water the plants to try and control weeds in between the rows.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun May 12, 2019 9:23 pm

OK, I mentioned and posted a photo of the Orbit automatic watering device with 4 outlets I bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I looked at it again tonight, I could program one station(outlet) to work with 3 start times which is all it has, just 3 start times, so I made each start time, 5am, 1pm, and 9pm it comes on for 5 minutes, great, then I moved on to the second station(it has 4 stations/outlets) and I could not get it to program to 5:15am, 1:15pm, and 9:15pm for a start time, I tried for at least a half hour without any progress, this is the issue I have had for years, so I searched the model online and there were 3 videos about programming them, I clicked on one and there was no sound but I watched it go thru the steps for setting the time, and setting the start time, then all of a sudden there was a pop-up, it said that once a time was programmed into the unit all 4 stations/outlets would come on consecutively and all one had to do was program each station/outlet to come on or stay off, I was stunned, I got out the manual and read the directions again, no where in the manual did it say this, in my opinion this bit of info is sort of important, once I knew this everything went fine and it works as expected, all 4 stations/outlets come on for 5 minutes.
The videos I seen in the search were all made in the last few years, way after I bought this thing.
It is really made for watering grass, I have rows of plants that only take 2 minutes to water them while others take over 10 minutes, I believe I have 3 areas I can water for 5 minutes 3 times a day, I can put a cap over the 4th station/outlet instead if taking the chance of messing the programming up, easy fix for me. :lol:
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm

I did this water supply pipe Sunday, I held it in place with straps, one strap was too tight and the pipe cracked when I turned on the water to it, I fixed it but now don't trust it to be on when I am not at the house.

It does do the job though, I have turned the water on and used it once so far, I can go out there and have everything watered except one row in 10 minutes while I am pulling weeds, one row of strawberries needs the water on at least 10 minutes, I might separate that one onto a timer by itself.

I got everything done just in time for it to start raining. :lol:

You can see in the photo that everything is growing real good now.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm

That's good stuff. Looks like it's gonna be a tasty summer..
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

I like to graze when I get home from working.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 pm

I had enough metal to make one more 5spd adapter plate, this one went a little faster, it probably took me around 3 hours to make it.
I also have come to the conclusion that the 4 inch hole saw is fine, it's just how I was doing it that was the issue, this time like normal I welded the original plate to the new plate, then I welded the bottom new plate to the drill table, I did this for both large holes and it went way faster, it's still kinda slow because the teeth of the hole saw get clogged when in the groove it is cutting, but I would lift and expose the teeth and hit it with air then drop it in and squirt it with cutting oil, the 4" hole likely took 15 minutes, the starter hole maybe 7 or 8 minutes, last time it took almost an hour just to drill the 4" hole.
I mounted the plate and everything else including the transmission, started the engine and put it in all the gears except reverse as it would grind with no clutch, but it went into all the other gears without a sound or grind, but the engine was running without an exhaust.
That 5 speed don't look much larger than the original 4spd.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat May 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Whenever I hole saw anything larger than 1.5-2" I bust out the corded drill. More torque, lower speeds.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

My drill press has several speeds, it turns fairly slow the way I have it set so it doesn't burn up drill bits.

As you can see in the photos above it is a huge hole saw, and this time I welded the work to the drill press tray, I am drilling 1/4" steel, the teeth disappear into the groove it is cutting after an eighth inch so I have to lift the saw out of the groove every 5 seconds or so it is cutting to let the metal escape out of the groove, it makes a certain noise when cutting, and a different noise when the teeth are full of metal shavings/muck, blowing air on the teeth really helped speed things up.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm

I usually drill a hole or 2 at the perimeter so that there is somewhere for the shavings to go.

Air helps move shavings away and keeps things cooler. I usually just use some sort of cutting fluid or PB Blaster.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't suppose it would have mattered if it has a couple holes where it is boring a hole as the holes are for the crank flange and the starter end that slides into position in the plate, a small hole or 2 would not mess up anything.
But keep in mind that I am starting with a flat piece of 1/4" plate with no holes in it at all, I weld the plate I use to make the plates onto the 1/4" plate, that would mean I would have to have a better plan, I can hardly believe this worked out at all, this is not the type of thing I am good at, the only reason I succeeded at all is because I had plates with the holes already in them, I just had to figure out the clocking of the 5spd plate on the the J15 plate, and position and clocking the starter, the starter took 2 tries, and the starter mount bolts took 3 tries, the crank flange holes in the middle were almost the same size, so I didn't even need a tape measure, but I did take my time to try not and mess up too bad.
Blowing air on the teeth of the hole saw every 10 seconds or so helped a lot, so did tack welding the whole thing to my drill press table.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 am

I woke up at 6am this morning with what appeared to be the start of a backache, I could not find a comfortable position, I hung upside down on the inversion table I have and it didn't help, I started twisting my back(hope I didn't hurt myself) and it didn't help either, by that time I wasn't sure what hurt anymore, so I tried going to the bathroom with no positive result, by now(hour later) I was in pain so I put some clean clothes on, fed the cats, got my sell phone and charger, glasses so I could read and I went to the Kaiser clinic, I waited in line to see a nurse and things were not going well, by the time I reached the gal behind the counter I only had one question, which side are my appendix on, she didn't know, I left and drove to the emergency room across town, things didn't move very fast there either, they suggested a CAT scan and it appears I have a kidney stone, the pain is terrible, they say it is basically the same as what a woman experiences during child birth, well it sucks big time.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu May 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Oooohh man, that sucks. Hope it's just an isolated event and not the beginning of a pattern.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I hope it is not a pattern also, but at least I know what it is now.
I went and did two driveways and got back home without any issues, but as soon as 6 hours went by I was starting to feel pain again, I took 3 more Ibuprofen like I was told and feel alright again, so far today I have had one bowl of frosted flakes, I don't feel like eating anything.
I have been told when it hurts the stone is on the move, since the doctor said it was already almost in my bladder after I had the scan, I wonder how slow these damned things can move.
I have had shingles, a heart attack, torn knee, sprained ankle, and a bunch of other painful things, this was the worst so far, at least when I was having the heart attack I was passing out, and the shingles I could tolerate the pain even though the Ibuprofen didn't work that well, this was just awful, but I didn't take anything for it, so I guess I will know to try pain pills first, I thought it might have been my appendix but I didn't know which side it was on, I do now, the right side.

Laecaon
Site Admin

Post by Laecaon » Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm

I have been told, if its your appendix, you will know. Any sudden movement will be jarring. I once had a severe stomach ache, to rule out appendix the doctor told me to jump. I did a very small jump. Doctor said the mere idea of jumping should have made me tell him he was crazy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 pm

I don't know about stuff like that, I didn't even know which side my appendix were on or if I did I could not concentrate long enough to remember.
I have never in my life been woke up like that because of pain, I went to bed just fine and woke up at 6am with what I thought was back pain, it didn't take long before it was everything under my ribs front and back on my left side.
In the past if I woke up in pain, I went to bed in pain, most the time I go to bed hurting and wake up good, makes me want to stay in bed, and sometimes I do lay there for a while.
I hope it is over with, I am feeling better now and had a sandwich, but maybe it is the Ibuprofen masking the pain, at least I can lay on the couch now, if I can take the pills tonight and get 8 hours I suspect/hope it's over with.
This day has been an eye opener, there are a lot of different types of pain.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 am

Most of the guys I work with are around your age and several get stones a couple times a year. Some say they can tell it's coming before they even feel the actual pain because they get depressed/melancholy a couple days before. Weird.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Fri May 24, 2019 7:57 am

Yep, at least you know what the problem is. Might want to lay off the milk and dairy for a while. I’m not sure, but I think they can give you something to dissolve them a little bit once I get to your bladder.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

I read a lot about this subject yesterday, I eat a lot of mixed nuts(no peanuts), this is likely one of the causes, but the biggest cause for me is likely dehydration, I don't go to the bathroom much, and the leading way to help stop the formation of stones is to drink a lot of water, and I mean a lot of water, more than I normally drink, in the past I have sweat my water out of my body, I hardly ever have to pee when I am working, and we are talking about 20+ years of not having to go to the bathroom on the job.
In the emergency room they did an ultrasound and the gal said my bladder had very little in it, they wanted me to fill a cup to check for blood in my urine and she didn't look hopeful, I got just enough for them and I did have blood in my urine, but not enough to see the blood.
Funny thing is I only drink water for the most part, I have a glass of fruit juice with my dinner(made with no fructose corn syrup) and when I make breakfast I have a small glass of apple juice, the rest of the time I drink water, but apparently not enough water.
I have just enough milk to eat a bowl of breakfast cereal maybe 4 times a week, but I do have a small amount of vanilla ice cream every other night, but there are several different types of stones also, and unless I catch one I will likely will never know the type of stone I passed, that is if the type can be determined by looking at it, so far I have not felt a stone come out when I pee even though I believe it made it into my bladder as I have not had any bad pain since about 1pm yesterday, but I have been taking 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours since noon yesterday.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 am

From what I’ve heard you’ll know it when it passes. Some guys have told me it’s fairly painful, like pissing a razor blade