Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Post by Laecaon » Mon May 27, 2019 11:45 am

All I know, this thread needs more pics!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon May 27, 2019 11:56 am

Or just maybe an L motor.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon May 27, 2019 11:57 am

And SUs

:troll:
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Fuck you guys!!! :D
"Self proclaimed most active poster on NWD." - Me

HRH

Post by HRH » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Ok, so not that much progress has been made, but I can tell you, don't buy the Black Path S13 to RB20 conversion mount set. The engine brackets are decently constructed, but the adapters to the crossmember are supremely thin. Not to mention, the amount of adaption is stupid. In other words, I wasted my money and destroyed the mount set so I couldn't return it. :( Because Datsun.

Anyway, I have some very thick plate I'm going to use instead, but I also have an idea to use the 240sx mounts only and move the block mounts back on the bottom edge. Driver's side (ours) has no problem with that, but the passenger side oil filter location is in the way pretty decently. However, I'm thinking the oil filter boss between the RB and KA24E out of the pickup is the same. The D21 version is angled. Thus, change the mounting boss and gain clearance. I don't know if I have another oil filter boss kicking around. Hoping I do so I can confirm. If I can't do that easily, I'll continue replicating the mount set I got, just changing a few things.

The other issue is due to using 240sx mounts,I'll have to grind or space them up so the edge doesn't hit the crossmember horn, which isn't a big deal really. Also, since I was following the other old ratsun 910 RB thread, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to clearance the pan. It looks like it would have cleared just fine. Oh well. And it may be a combination of using the 240sx mounts, which are probably a bit taller than the RB mounts (one was ripped, why I didn't use those)

Oh, also, the turbo downpipe goes right into the steering shaft. My solution to that is to buy a new downpipe and section it longer so the flange end is below the steering shaft. Then some custom lines for the power steering pump, then some custom figuring for the AC compressor. Either way, it's getting closer!

And here are some pictures!

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Wow, doesn't look like there is a lot of room in that engine compartment with that engine in there.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm

You will find an aftermarket turbo elbow will definitely need mods. The one I bought for my CA was even worse than stock and put the exhaust right into the frame rail.

When you are done, I think you will be happy to keep it straight 6 power.

HRH

Post by HRH » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Yeah, the only reason I'm going aftermarket is it should be easier to lengthen and modify the stainless one I'm getting as opposed to the cast iron. Or rather, easier for my welding guru to do that. And yes, once it runs and everything's done, I'll be pretty happy with the result I bet. There isn't a ton of room on the passenger side, but driver's side isn't too bad. Rather opposite of the L motor.

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Alright!!! Got the nice and thick 3/16 plate engine mount adapters done! Need to put them on the crossmember and drill the front hole for the additional tie-in, but other than that, I'm almost ready to secure the engine in the car. I'm actually tempted to put the transmission on as well and put the whole assembly in, though I don't have the crossmember even close to figured for that. Either way, I'll have some time on Friday and Saturday to figure out how I want to do that. I'm thinking I'm still going to put the engine in and the transmission in later from the bottom, but we'll see.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 am

You need the transmission in there to figure out the transmission mount, at least it is easier for me to do it that way.
Normally when I change an engine/transmission I drop in the engine/transmission and connect the transmission to it's mount, then I make the engine mounts, but I am not putting a completely different drive train in, I am just going from maybe a napZ to an L block where the transmission mount is still the same.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

HRH

Post by HRH » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:36 am

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to mount the engine, put a spacer block at the firewall to keep it up, then install transmission and use a block or jack for the tailshaft, then figure out the transmission crossmember. Although, it's easier to swing the whole assembly in, for sure. The angle to get the transmission in is what gets annoying though. Really, if I had a lift, I'd remove it from the bottom with the crossmembers like it's supposed to be done. Oh well!

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 pm

EDIT 5-1-20, THE REASON THE TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER FITS RIGHT UP IS BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS ABOUT AN INCH TOO FAR FORWARD!! I could have left the oil pan alone if I had realized this. It's way forward of the crossmember. No matter, because actually the shifter is in a much nicer spot. I like having it farther forward, I have long arms. The only downside is the driveshaft needs to be longer. Going to go through my driveshafts to see if I have a magic one that is slightly longer, but may need to have it lengthened. (end edit)

FINALLY!!!! The motor and transmission is in. I almost did the engine first, and it was a giant pain in the ass, fought me all the way, but I finally got the mounts happy. Then I decided I would check the transmission crossmember, and it appears the Datsun Gods have been watching my progress, because I took the old custom mount off the old transmission (when I changed Wynona to stick) and took the old custom crossmember, and IT FIT RIGHT UP!! Couldn't believe the luck! Didn't have to change a damn thing for the trans mount! Very happy. So now it's wiring and peripherals. Still have a lot of work to do, but at least it's in the car. One big hurdle done! :) :) :)

And autocross tomorrow!! Woot woot!

Last edited by HRH on Fri May 01, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:50 pm

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 am

With that many projects you're bound to be able to reuse a part or two eventually. Congrats on the major milestone.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks man! I really needed a win with the car. Just seems like it's been one thing or the other every time I turn around. Hoping to have it figured out and happily running well before 9-10 day. ;)

HRH

Post by HRH » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Got 5 things knocked off my 20 item long list today. Found 3 more things to put on, lol. Good thing is the fuel system is all hooked up and tested for pressure, no leaks I can see at the moment. The new Walbro pump is actually quite quiet. Started hooking up the turbo pipes and MAF sensor, etc. Still a lot to go but at least I made some progress today.

I was really hoping I could just unbolt the front pulley from the Maxima and bolt it on to the RB crank pulley so I could run the A/C with a v-belt without changing anything, but nope. RB pulley is all one piece, boooo. Haven't investigated to see if there's another option, but I'll probably just have to run a different A/C compressor or swap the clutch if it works with that one. More research to do there.

Here's the current list:

Hook up throttle cable and cruise control cable.
Charge cooler or intercooler, piping coming for regular air to air
Add brake booster and master, oe booster may work with 280z master?
Exhaust downpipe - cut and make work.
Alternator, tighten nut and wire to original alt wiring for gauge.
Find 4 rib belts that fit
P/S fittings and lines
A/C lines and mounting bracket, possible clutch replacement?
Install radiator and fan shroud
Install clutch fan, see if Maxima one will work
Hook up heater core lines and auxiliary tube with sensor
Engine harness and ECU wiring
ECU location and through hole for firewall
Oxygen sensor, new one
Fill rockers with fluid film, and back gate/bumper
Wire fuel pump from new EFI harness to old harness
Get air box that will work with MAF sensor

HRH

Post by HRH » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Here's something funny I just noticed: The RB25DET fits much nicer in the 910 engine bay because the intake manifold is about half the size of the RB20 one! Fuckers!! Lol. I was just checking the 910R thread on ratsun from a while back and wondering why there was so much clearance on the passenger side. I had to re-mount the fuel filter bracket because it was too close to the intake the other day.

wayno

Post by wayno » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Can you use that smaller manifold on your engine?

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Maybe? Doesn't matter, it fits, just more space with the other engine. Anyway, found a suitable replacement fan clutch from '93 Q45, also fits a bunch of VG stuff. Has the right fan bolt spacing, it does stick 1/4" farther forward, but it appears there will still be plenty of room for the radiator to fit in front of it.

The AC compressor is the other hitch. The original R12 unit is a v-belt driven SWP167 Hitachi unit. I dug around and found an option on 86-88 300zxs that is the same compressor body, though it's a MSJ170 in the later versions. Body looks identical, as do the line hookups, and while a lot of these show v belt, there are also some 4 rib micro v units. Anyway, trying to find one now, bit of a pain in the ass. Have a local refrigeration place looking to see if they can just get a clutch, and then maybe it will fit on the old compressor I have to replace the v belt clutch. Found some online that would probably work, but they wanted 650 bones for them. At that point I might as well just put on a newer compressor and try to make some custom lines. The big problem is it's a converted R12, and all the accumulator/drier stuff is different being it's so old.

Anyway, happy the fan clutch will work. The original one had a broken ear that popped off when I removed it, hence no RB fan clutch.

Also decided against the charge cooler for complicatedness for right now. Going to do the small side mount intercooler because space is at a premium and it's one less system to wire in.

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:14 pm

I just found a really cool website with compressor style listings!

http://www.aircoparts.com/nissan-ac-compressors.html