Escape From the Prison Planet

DRIVEN

Re: Escape From the Prison Planet

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 am

Finally got a chance to check out my brother's new shop. It's small but pretty nice and he's already been really busy. Had 5 cars stacked inside along with 2 of his own.
Anyway, here's the shameless plug if any of you local guys need work done. He's in North Plains.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 203283430/
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 am

I like the ability to see up.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Managed to break a leaf spring on my trailer driving though Pendleton today. I took a detour to see if my uncle was at his shop and managed to snag a hellacious pothole with the right side. Ended up using some spare ratchet straps to makeshift a trailing arm and wedged a couple found 2x4s between the axle and frame. The hardtail conversion got me another 200+ miles home.

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm

That is how I likely would have gotten home, better set of leafs needed as the other side could do the same thing anytime.
Tie down straps are awesome, I used them a couple times to get home when my upper control arm broke on my work truck, vice grips work pretty good also when only one bolt breaks, you use what you have or can find.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:30 am

I really, REALLY didn't want to leave it in Pendleton. It's always been pretty white-trashy but there's a lot more bums and crazies wandering the streets now than there used to be. It likely would have disappeared if I'd left it for a couple days.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I kinda lamed away most of my day. Took my work car over to my dad's shop and did an oil change and transmission service. Then came home and took a Nyquil induced mid-day nap. Finally shook the cobwebs enough to get off the couch and into the garage.
My white TW still has the original tires and the front is pretty unpredictable. The nickname for the OE Bridgestone TW31 is "Deathwing" because it has the tendency to wash out with zero warning. I've lived with it but it really keeps me cautious. You might remember last fall when I crashed it and fucked up my ribs and shoulder. That was partially Deathwing related.
The tire that seems to be really popular right now is the Shinko 241 so I ordered one up and slapped it on tonight. The tread pattern is pretty unassuming but you can see that it's got a lot more on the edges and TW guys swear it's much more trail capable than it looks. It's definitely got a softer compound but it's reported that tread life is among the best out there.

Deathwing...

The blue bike had a pretty fresh Shinko 244 on it when I bought it and it's waaay better than the Deathwing. it'll be interesting to see how the 241 and 244 compare. I'm supposed to go in the hills with a buddy on Tuesday but he bailed last minute twice before.

I'm old and fat and tired and have a bad back. This cherry picker really made the job easier.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Well, if you were ever home any of the times I go to Ontario/Boise...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:22 pm

It's been pretty ridiculous this year. I'm pretty much in town long enough to pay bills and mow the lawn, then back to the airport. I was supposed to get a 5 week stretch at home but 3 1/2 of those got assignments dropped on them. Like I've said before, this project is temporary so I need to get the money while it's there.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 pm

I started out my day yesterday with a trip to Redneck trailer for replacement springs. Then to D&B for fencing tools, then because I'm an idiot in need of more projects, to HF for a trailer kit. When I finally got home I slid the trailer boxes under the partially open garage door and went inside.
Once I finally pried my lazy ass off the couch and went out to the garage it was 90* outside so I figured I'd start by putting the new trailer together. Simple, right? It was gonna be until the borrowed compressor died after my air ratchet got done with bolt #4. Ended up doing the rest by hand. It took 3 sweaty hours.

So, you're probably scratching your head and wondering why a guy with 2 other trailers and a tow dolly needs yet another trailer. Here's my twisted logic; I'm basically maintaining 2 yards. I also have lawn and garden stuff scattered all over the garage, in my basement, in 2 sheds down the hill, and strapped to the BroHauler. My initial thought was to put it all in one spot in the garage. Then I thought about building a dedicated garden shed. Then it occurred to me...Why don't I just build a landscaping trailer and essentially have a portable garden shed that I can tow up and down the hill with the BroHauler. Everything in one place -- right where I'm working.

After the new trailer was done I pulled my tilt trailer in to swap out the leaf spring. Got it apart about 7:30 only to find out the warehouse monkey pulled the wrong springs. Paperwork was correct so I know I asked for the right parts.
Got up early and was in their lot before they opened. got the correct springs and hustled back to slam it together. Just as I was wheeling the trailer out of the garage my buddy Greg showed up. He hitched it to his Duramax, loaded the bikes and headed for the hills. Managed a 50 mile loop and got to 8800'. Even rode through a little snow.

It was a good day. Nothing broke, no one got hurt. I live in the best place on earth.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 pm

You have been to the rocky hill the 2 bikes are parked on before.
Your friends timing is awesome, bike rides/having fun on ones days off should be high on the list of things to do.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 pm

That's Cinnibar, 8800' peak. Been there a few times but never with the same guys. It's almost July and this is my first time in the Owyhees this year. Shameful. I'm really feeling run down by my work schedule but needed a mental health day. The yard work will wait.
My legs are going to be really sore tomorrow. Worth it.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:01 am

2 things I forgot. First, the new 241 tire is waaay better than the Deathwing. And the other, you guys ever seen Mormon Crickets?

I know it's impossible to tell the size without scale but most of them are about the size of an adult man's thumb. They walk like a zombie horde and occasionally jump when threatened but don't fly. They're also canibals. There were miles and miles of roads and trails covered by migrating crickets and the ground looked like it was moving. It was actually making me dizzy at times. We just kept riding.

flatcat19
Title: AKA Smoke
Cars: Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Post by flatcat19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:19 am

DRIVEN wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:22 pm
It's been pretty ridiculous this year. I'm pretty much in town long enough to pay bills and mow the lawn, then back to the airport. I was supposed to get a 5 week stretch at home but 3 1/2 of those got assignments dropped on them. Like I've said before, this project is temporary so I need to get the money while it's there.
Been a few months since I have spent a week at home. I know how it goes.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:14 pm

My little podunk town has their celebration and fireworks on the 3rd and we had some people over to watch the festivities. On the 4th I had a huge list of chores that I managed to avoid. The trailer wasn't even on my list but I decided that it would be my priority for the day...and it ended up eating most of it.
I had purchased materials a couple weeks ago so I started by rounding up all my lawn junk and laying it out to see what all needed to be organized.

I'm not positive this is how it will remain. I'm sure I'll make adjustments as needed. I can say that it's fairly tongue heavy so I'll be adding a jack. I'll probably drop the hitch to better match the height of the BroHauler too.

Anyway, my portable garden shed is ready for duty. It might work out great or it might be the stupidest waste of time and money I've conceived in a while.
It will probably live in the corner of the garage during the summer months, then I can wheel it through the double doors in the basement for winter storage.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 pm

It makes sense to me. Like a mobile tool cart. I like it.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Nice work. I’m sure you will find the need for a couple mods but the basics seem to be there.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:45 pm

I forgot a cooler.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:05 pm

And maybe a grill?

Ni10
Cars: 68 510 wagon, 71 521, 78 620 KC

Post by Ni10 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am

and a reclining swivel lawn chair for when your sucking down a few beers and BBQ some burgers and hotdogs.

think your going to need another trailer. lol
DRIVEN » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am wrote: Datsuns don't break down. They just get unscheduled upgrades.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am

My bike has had an oil seep from the rear upper pushrod tube seal since I bought it. I bought an O-ring set weeks ago and finally got around to it this morning. I did some reading/YouTubing about it and it looked really straightforward. Collapse the tubes, shorten the adjustable pushrods, remove pushrod and tube together, replace O-rings, reassemble in reverse.
Well, the internet failed to mention that there are 2 types of S&S adjustable pushrods. One style that goes short enough to be removable, and my style that only shortens about 3/8" and can't be removed without pulling the tanks, valve covers, and rocker boxes. Fuck all that noise! Luckily I figured that out on the first 1. And when I got the tube down it was instantly obvious that the inside of the old O-ring was nicked.
So plan B was to maybe work a new O-ring over the upper end of the pushrod and pull it back down. Well, all I managed to do was lose the O-ring up inside. Idiot! After a brief panic attack, I managed to fish it out.
Plan B was impossible. So plan C was to clean everything and use some RTV on the tube end where the damaged O-ring seats. It felt like total hackery but I was unprepared today to pull the top end apart.
Got it back together and cleaned up. I'm at the turn around point of my 50 mile road test now. Because tacos.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If it isn't cured, it's better.