Around Waynos house

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Re: Around Waynos house

Post by Laecaon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 am

If you want new batteries for the M12 stuff. I picked up some knockoff ones on Amazon for cheap. Like 2 3.0aH compact batteries for $25. They work great, my impact is still on its original charge.

Also good score on the tool box. Cant buy that new for that price.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:46 pm

I have been moving tools around today, will have to get used to the new locations, I found a bunch of tools that I have no idea what they are for.
This one reminds me of some kind of slide hammer but I don't believe that it what it is, the little socket looking things thread on to the shaft and the handle thing slides over the shaft and is tapered, it's also heavy.

Here are a bunch of tools, anyone have a clue what they are for?

This one makes me think of valve springs.

And this one makes me think of spark plug wires, is it just for removing them while the engine is running?

This one I have not a clue.

Does anyone have an idea what any of these tools are for?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Laecaon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 am
If you want new batteries for the M12 stuff. I picked up some knockoff ones on Amazon for cheap. Like 2 3.0aH compact batteries for $25. They work great, my impact is still on its original charge.

Also good score on the tool box. Cant buy that new for that price.
Thanks Jacob, the small 3.0 batteries(knockoff type) are on ebay also 2 for $24.00 shipped and 4 for $45.00 shipped, I am not sure how I am going to like them yet so I am limiting myself for the moment on spending anymore money on these tools, my friend was bragging about his(another brand) and then reading what you guys were saying about them I decided to try a few out.
I only bought the tools I wanted as I have most the other tools in that Milwaukie special Home Depot sale I missed already in the 18V Dewalt brand, but I don't think Dewalt sells 18V ratchet wrenches anyway, that battery is huge anyway and would likely not be useful in tight situations, but I really like my 1/4" drive Dewalt 18V impact, I have 2 of them and I use them for everything/all the time, the batteries last a long time and it fits my hand perfect.

“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Top thing is a universal clutch alignment too. Wish I had a set like that.

Red handle pliers at the bottom are for opening up better cable ends.

The scissor handle looking thing, does it have rollers at the end? Might be a brake line bender.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:54 pm

OK, the red pliers looking thing with rivets holding it together has a marking on it I didn't see before, but I likely wanted to take the easy way out and just ask, it has "sun electric corporation 2-1028" on it, I looked it up and it is a fuse puller, I suspect it is for old house fuses back in the 50s and early 60s before the screw in type fuse, why he had it in his tool box I have not a clue, maybe he put it in there after he quit working on automobiles for a living as he lived in a house built in the mid/late 1800s, the house made the papers once, or maybe he used it to pull spark plug wires while the engine was running as that is a way I figure out what cylinder is missing when I have a miss.

Thankyou for telling me what them other tools are for, at least the ones you knew, there is no way I would have ever figured out that the one was a clutch alignment tool, and the other one I should have guessed myself, that one is obvious.

Well I sat in front of the computer for a while and started searching these other tools, and I figured out all but one of them.
This is for pulling battery cables off the battery.

So these two belong together.

This is a Rochester Carb tool, I seen a photo of it in a complete kit in the search.

This is for tire chains.

I still don't know what this is for, it is made by Lisle corporation, but I was unable to find a photo of one, there is no PAT. NO. on it.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:37 pm

OK, how about this tool, anyone know what it is for?

It has no markings I can find.

I was trying ti use the photo to search for image and it keeps focusing on the wood background, so I am posting a photo on white to see if I can find the part in a search.

jtinluvr
Cars: 66' SPL311
72' 521
72' B110

Post by jtinluvr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

The one above looks like a nut splitter, to split rusted on nuts. Not sure on the Lisle one, but they do make a lot of specialty tools.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm

Yup
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:48 pm

OK, I bought this battery in the auction link below for my Dewalt 18V tools just to see how it worked, it is a way lighter battery but that is not why I bought it, I bought it because it is a 5.0Ah battery, I only bought one so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0Ah-Li-Ion-B ... OSw5fJeBA4~

So what I am asking is this, in the link down the page there was this question below.

Q: What type charger the dewalt 18v lithium battery need?
A: A: 1.It’s the same with dewalt 18v battery ni-cd, need a dewalt 18v battery charger;
2.Please note: when charging, the battery indicator is flashing red light,and the charger indicator is also flashing red light,when complete charging, the battery indicator is on and the charger indicator is off;
3.When using the battery in your tool, and you wanna check the battery power, please press the power indicator button to check, and once the battery is low power, the first light on the battery is flashing
4.If having any problem about the charging, please contact us via your order, we’ll try our best to service you.

When I dropped the battery in my charger it did not do what is described above so I pulled it out of the charger, it says when charging the battery indicator is flashing red light,and the charger indicator is also flashing red light, well that is not what is happening to me, I put it in the charger and the charger blinks red like normal, but the battery is blinking green on the 2nd of 4 levels 4 being fully charged, I messaged them about this and am waiting for a reply, but I am wondering if whoever wrote the description messed up, it seems/appears to be charging.
I also mentioned that the electronics inside the battery may have been made to it possible to charge a lithium-ion battery with a regular Dewalt charger(DW9116 charger).
Has anyone on here seen anything like this battery before, does the auction say just use a regular Dewalt charger, it appears to say that in my mind, but I don't want to get this wrong and burn down my house either.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

So does this replay sound like they are saying the recommended charger is the DW9116?

Their reply to my inquiry.

Hi
Thank you for your order.
what we selling is it the complete battery.Using 18650 lithium cell.
The lithium battery is totally compatible with all dewalt 18v battery, being same as standard ni-cd battery, having a power indicator, and besides, was made of 18650 lithium cell, so having higher capacity and lighter weight .

Fit original chargers for the dewalt 18v NiCd/NiMH batteries it's replacing. RECOMMENDED CHARGER: DW9116

The green light on the battery indicates the battery level. Please continue to charge the battery until the battery indicator is full.

If there are anything that we can do to help you , kindly feel free to let me know.

Best regards
Fancy Fang

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Got me. I don't speak fluent Chingrish.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 pm

:lol: Neither do I, I will try charging it when I am going to be in the garage near the charger so I can watch it.
That it didn't freak out when I dropped it into the charger is a good sign, but it didn't act like they said it would light wise as they said the battery would be blinking red when charging while it appears to be blinking green when it is charging.
I bought it because it said I could use my normal charger, so I am going to give it a shot.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:30 pm

I brought a charger in the house so I could watch it and then I forgot about it, but it did its thing, and it appears to have quit charging by itself as it had all 4 lights lit up and the charger was dark/quit charging on its own.
The battery pack was slightly warm, it was not hot, so right now I am assuming all is well, now I need to find something to test it on to see how long it lasts.

Taterhead
Cars: '71 510 - Mine
'72 510 - Sons

Post by Taterhead » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:02 am

It sounds like you’ve got it figured out. I was going to say just go for it. I only use Black & Decker tools mostly (I’m a cheap bastard) but I charge just about any battery I can fit in the charger and they usually do the trick just fine. That is, swapping between lithium ion or the nickel metal hydride crap or whatever it is. I’ve even had an 18 V weedeater that I put a 20 V lithium ion battery in and just cut another notch in the receptacle so it would slide in there. I figure if it’s not hot enough to melt the battery, the plug, or the charger, I’m probably going to be OK with it.

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:07 am

Yes it appears to have worked out, I am kinda interested in how long this battery will last, it is lithium-ion and they discharge all by themselves, if not used for a long time in theory they can discharge below the minimum and be ruined and not take a charge anymore.
I did compare this battery to a couple of my Ni-Cad Dewalt XRP batteries by pulling the trigger, this lithium-ion had the tool spinning at a higher rpm in both tools, plus the battery is half the weight, we shall see if it is an up-grade as time goes by.
This is a lithium-ion battery, but instead if it being like a normal lithium-ion battery with a lithium-ion battery charger it has a circuit board inside it to make it compatible with the Dewalt chargers, this battery is made for Dewalt 18V tools, it is not made by Dewalt, Dewalt does make 20V lithium-ion batteries for their 18V tools like this one in this ebay auction with adapters, batteries, and charger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWALT-DCA2203 ... Sw11BcSytQ
They also have made 18V lithium-ion batteries, but they need a lithium-ion charger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWalt-18V-Li- ... Swa~NeHpTW
In the end this was just a want to know test, I only bought one, if I like it I will likely buy another, there is a chance I could drop this battery or the tool with the battery connected to it and ruin the battery as the Milwaukee owners manual suggested not dropping their lithium-ion batteries also, these batteries might be just another step towards a disposable society.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:14 pm

So I had keys made for the tool box, I made metal dividers for several drawers to separate different types of tools, I have never been so organized.
I keep adding more lights to the garage, I have always had a dark area near the garage door when it was down, so I put a couple lights near the garage door, when the door is up these 2 lights are blocked, but I can see better when the door is down now.

The garage door kept ruining the roller in one spot(3rd roller up), the last one was a brand new roller, so while I was replacing it I think I figured out why, quite some time ago that part that holds the roller came loose, so I removed it, fixed what needed fixed and when I put it back on I drilled some holes to add screws to the part to hold it on the garage door better, well it turned out when I did that I was so focused on having lots of screws/bolts holding it on that I put it on upside down, the roller was way off center from the roller on the other side of the door, so the whole door was binding from the rollers not being uniform when going around the curve at the top, I am now going to see if things improve, it even sounds better when it gets to the top where it was binding.

Over the last few months we have broken records for how many users are online here a couple times, I wish they would join and tell us about their builds and what they are doing.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Mostly bots would be my guess.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:56 pm

That's like a 140 something bots on at one time.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 pm

I have not been able to walk into the parts shed in a very long time.

I am likely going to tear this diesel engine completely down and sell some of the parts.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 am

Wow! That's really, really organized. My garage and what I've done to my dad's shop is shameful.