Fuck The Reaper

DRIVEN

Re: Fuck The Reaper

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:17 am

Indeed. Mid-shift kit should be here Friday, then I can convert it. Wish it was a factory option. Way easier to just check s box on the order form.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:23 pm

Did the mid-shift conversion today. Started with disassembly of the mid plate and standard shifter. Punch out the roll pins and remove the lugs. Leave the lower (rear) one out and reinstall the other three upside down. The new rear plate has a post to keep the rear rail from floating around.

The new shifter has a pretty clever splined arrangement that lets you put it in 8 different positions. All buttoned up.

wayno

Post by wayno » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm

OK, so originally the shift lever was in the plate with 6 bolts holding it on, and one could reverse that plate to move the shift lever forward or back depending what you wanted, you bought an aftermarket shift lever kit that moved it even farther forward in the plate with 4 bolts holding it on, is this correct, was the shift lever too far back?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:50 pm

That's exactly right. I could have probably been okay but wanted it more forward. It'll be very close to the same location on the floor as the original flathead shifter.
BTW, when I bought this it had a '39 transmission in it with Zephyr gears. It'd run up to about 70mph in 2nd gear. I promptly broke the case slamming a 1-2 shift while drag racing a coworker in his Mercury Capri. The only salvageable part was the shifter, which I've saved all these years.

wayno

Post by wayno » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:41 am

So your going to connect that old shift lever to what you have sticking up?
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 am

Undecided. It would give a nice, original look but they're a little flimsy. I still have my original Ebrake lever too. Would look something like this.

When I wrecked it I had a Hurst lever on a Competition Plus shifter. I remember using the shifter with a different lever on a '65 El Camino my dad had but can't seem to locate my Hurst lever. Was similar to this.

I think either would be fine. I have options but I'm not quite to that point yet.

I've got some other things going on right now but should be digging in to this project in early February.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm

I always was unhappy with the short shift lever I had on my 1947 Chevy truck, I changed it to a column shift and was happy after that.
I had that cable operated shift lever for the longest time, but I think I sold it at the Portland swap meet along with a lot of other stuff for that truck, I even sold that truck there a few years later, it is in England now.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:49 am

There's no question that having an automatic in this thing would have been way cheaper, easier, and more comfortable. I like what I like.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:07 am

I understand that, I was just referring to the long shift lever, I had to bend over to get to that short lever, I didn't like it.
Originally my truck had the 6cyl and 4 speed which 1st gear was almost useless as it was a granny gear, but a rod started knocking on the way home, I made it home, found/bought a 73 El Camino(350/auto), bought a Pacer front end(power steering version), bought a 12 bolt Chevy car axle(342?), and I rented a storage space and I converted my truck over to the modern drive train.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Well, 4:57pm PST this wreck turned 21. Me and Whisky are gonna make it run tonight. If you're drinking tonight, raise a glass.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm

It runs and it's fulla hate. Pm me if you want an audio clip.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Well that is some solid progress. Good job!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:13 pm

This was the engine that was in the truck when it got wrecked. I built it while I was going to Vo Tech school and originally planned to put it in a 240Z. It found it's way into my pickup for a couple years then after the accident I ran it in the Smell Camino for a little while until I broke a rocker stud. I don't remember how long ago that was but I'm thinking about 18 years. I had the heads machined for screw-in studs, put it back together, and wrapped it in plastic. Almost 7 years ago I dragged it out for a fresh coat of paint and it's been waiting ever since.

Here's a little catch-up on the events leading to the start-up last night. Started by hooking up an oil pressure gauge and primed it for about 10 minutes while rolling the engine over. Then I checked valve lash, which was interesting since I couldn't locate my feeler gauges. I ended up using a piece of .030 welding wire.

Next, I moved on the the ignition system. The distributor that was in it used to have a Pertronix kit but it got robbed for another car. I replaced it with an Crane system and used it in the Smell Camino but it did some weird stuff so I decided to use another Pertronix. I left the Crane distributor intact and grabbed an old points distributor from the stash.

Hotwired for bench test. Nice and sparky.

I was expecting the carb to be filthy and need a full rebuild so I ordered up a cheap kit last week. To my surprise, it was really clean inside. The accelerator pump was hard as a rock so it was the only thing that got replaced. Once it was on and running, I found the adjusters seeping so those will need attention.

It didn't fire right up like they do on TV but didn't really fight either. Some drunk idiot forgot to cap the PCV port on the back but after that it ran good, considering how long it's sat.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:09 pm

I pulled all the parts and boxes out of it and got it ready to blow apart. Then I adjusted the coilovers so that the tie rods and lower control arms were level. Ended up raising it about 3.5". Before I started the jack wouldn't fit under the swaybar.

Then I went to work.

Just waiting on a new flywheel then the TKO goes in and I can measure for the driveline.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:06 pm

That looks like some work!

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:10 am

I placed a parts order last night that should keep me busy for a little while. Won't be here for another week though.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Not much has happened here this year. I did some patch panels and filled a bunch of firewall holes. The back of the cab was bowed quite a bit compared to the floor so I did a Frankenstein tummy tuck.

It's in sealer and just sitting on my trailer waiting for my brother to make space at the body shop.

After I put in the TKO600 the driveline was too long and the yoke was wrong.

I ordered up a new radiator too. Not cheap, but really nice.

And a cheap fuel cell. 19 gallon, which should be a $200 fill-up by the time I finally drive this thing.

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Headed to the body shop in the morning.