Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

DRIVEN

Re: Wynona the wagon's resurrection!

Post by DRIVEN » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Bout fuckin time
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH
Cars: Lots

Post by HRH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Maybe if you came down here and helped out, it would go quicker!! :D Dropped the pans off to Joe today, going to work them up, probably be another two weeks before I can even put them on. The timing parts are here though, so I'll probably tear down the engine a little further and do water pump, timing belt, tensioners, etc. Apparently the water pump is coming this Friday. I thought I forgot to order it but I didn't, yay!

HRH

Post by HRH » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Got the oil pan back today. Made a 1" section out of the back, hopefully should clear the crossmember. I suspect I'm going to have to modify the pickup, but we'll see. The dogs went with me to Walgreens to get some cold medicine for the wife. ;)

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Wait for it.....photo dump to come!

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Got the garage nice and toasty today, ended up getting it torn down to the point of happiness. Have new parts to put on after some cleaning. The cams don't move much but I made a tool anyway, so yeah, I'm Batman! ;) Not that thrilled with the water jacket being full of rust sludge. I smooshed it and smelled it, it's definitely rust, although nearly looks like stop leak. No big chunks, just a paste. Thinking I may run a garden hose reservoir through it on first start up instead of my nice brass radiator. We're a ways away from that yet though. Need to find some broken connectors, a temp sensor (also broken) and lots of vacuum lines, etc. Not sure what I'm going to do for an intercooler but I'll find something. For being a 94, this thing is still fairly complex and all the water fittings look like shit. That's what happens in a salty coastal area though.

The oil pan does not fit with the stock oil pickup now, but I took the L26 oil pickup off, and it looks almost identical for fitment, but sits farther back. Going to do a little fiddling, but I think I may be able to swap the L26 pickup to the RB block and have it work just fine.

HRH

Post by HRH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Nice rust, huh? It gets better!

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:36 pm

It appears to have had straight water in it instead of an antifreeze mix.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:30 am

I once got one of those dick shaped water pumps. I then told the company to send the proper one for my motor or they wouldnt get theirs back. I got a RB25 WP instead of a CA18 WP. They go for significantly different money, OEM.

I would just hook it up as is to the hose...

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 am

I agree with both Wayno and Jacob. Looks like they were running straight water. I'd really consider sourcing a set of new freeze plugs, knocking the old ones out, and flushing the shit out of that thing before it goes back together. Back and forth and see if you can get in the water jackets with brushes, etc. I'd hate to see you have to fight plugged up radiators and heater cores after you go through all this work.

Also, Nissan vacuum and water piping is fucking retarded.
When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm

I may pop a plug or two and see how it looks. I don't disagree, just really wanted to put shit on and go. Bah. Fuck this shit for now, I'm going to go eat. Found VG30 thermostat and RB are the same, and I got a temperature switch from a 2001 Frontier that appears to be the same as the broken one. Just have to ohm them out and check the connector. The one I got fits a shit ton of vehicles, probably correct.

HRH

Post by HRH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Ok, haven't verified the temp sensor yet, but I did find 2002-2006 Nissan Sentra QG1.8 MAF connector will likely work for the RB20 MAF connector. I'll go to pull and save tomorrow and get one to try.