Waynos work truck.

wayno

Re: Waynos work truck.

Post by wayno » Sat May 25, 2019 3:26 pm

I have been thinking I bought that at a welding supply shop, but maybe that was the aluminum cleaner.

Well I just bought another bottle of it on ebay, so I don't have to look now.

What is the best brand to buy a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench, Ingersoll Rand?
Is this a good one/type?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-Rand ... 7211!US!-1
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

wayno

Post by wayno » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Another L block starter bites the dust, I just cannot keep a starter in this truck.
“The difference between genius and stupidly is that genius has its limits” Albert Einstein

DRIVEN

Post by DRIVEN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 am

When the only tool you have is a hammer every problem starts to look like a hippy.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 am

:lol: I am scared to do that to any of my 320 trucks.

I forgot about the starter until I read this, I will just start it with the screwdriver again today and change it out this weekend when it is cooler, I suppose I could put a relay in again as it starts fine with the screwdriver, the solenoid is the issue, my guess is that it is made in China, it's that new looking starter I put in a year and a half ago when I did the chassis change.

Laecaon
Site Admin
Cars: '71 510 Wagon, 02 BMW 325i Wagon

Post by Laecaon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am

If its starting with a screwdriver, you may try a thicker Positive cable to it. And maybe even run a dedicated Ground strap for the starter.

wayno

Post by wayno » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 pm

The starter solenoid is shot, it moves but doesn't supply the starter motor with power anymore, I spent a few hours trying to set something up but wasn't thinking properly(hot outside), I finally got it working with an external relay, seems like it never engages the first try but it has worked the second try most every time.
What I did was wire the alternator output straight to the positive battery post, then wire from the positive post to the relay, the other side of the relay is wired to the starter motor post on the starter solenoid with a jumper wire to the exciter connection, then the keyed starter exciter wire goes to the relay post that activates the relay, it appears to work fine except on that first try when it grinds instead of turning the flywheel.
I have done this before but wasn't thinking clearly when I started, I mistakenly left the alt output wire down on the starter at first which the starter kept activating thru the alt, plus I had a bad relay, or maybe it got ruined because of the way I wired it at first when I wasn't thinking clearly.

wayno

Post by wayno » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:19 pm

I am going to have to remove the transmission pretty soon, it is now leaking out the rear seal also, so I better remove it before it goes dry on me and I lose the whole thing as it is a good transmission, shifts good and there is no noise.